Video editing and submittal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Video editing and submittal

As many people are aware, we have some very good cinematographers in TG. I for one and I'm sure others have been wondering a couple of things.

1: What capture program do you use, or want us to use?
    2: What video software do most people use to cut scenes and shorten captures?
    3: What video editing software do you use?
    4: For someone to submit video, what resolution do you require?
    5: And what kind of 'footage' are you looking for? (I know this will change, but maybe we can use this thread to call out for footage)

Re: Video editing and submittal

I read in another thread that Ghost uses 'shadowplay' for his capture needs, the only problem with shadowplay is that it's a Nvidia product that is incorporated in the 'Nvidia experience' included with their upper level products. Since I have a GTX780 I have 'shadowplay' as well, but what can people use that don't have shadowplay and still make good video?

Comment

Some things that many people use are the "Sony Vegas Pro" program to edit, a Roxio HD Game capture or Fraps to record the game footage, and I would think we need a person with High-Ultra settings. reason being that the video, once cut together, would look really choppy if it went from Low to Ultra Graphics from Frame to frame. People also have different brightness, FPS, and overall settings which would throw a wrench in a high end video.

I found this which streams and records gameplay for free. Others in the BF4 TG side use it often to Stream. You can use Audacity to record voice as well for those interested and it's free, but it isn't as good quality as other softwares out there.
      Questions about those who deserve it!
      "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Thanks Bolivian.

I just downloaded Open Broadcaster Software for capture and I've got to say, it works fantastically, especially considering it's a free product. It's fairly simple to set up (give me a PM if anyone wants a tutorial) and doesn't seem to impact my performance too badly. I'm looking at about a 10 FPS drop when recording 1920x1200 at 30 fps.

I uploaded a quick test recording, which should be available in letterboxed 1440p once Youtube is done processing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHdkvy7AAk

What works best for sharing clips with our resident video editors? Dropbox?

Another question for the video editors, is my WUXGA 1920x1200 (16:10) format going to be a problem from your standpoint?
        Last edited by Strait Raider; 01-23-2014, 08:07 PM.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Rageq3a View Post
          As many people are aware, we have some very good cinematographers in TG. I for one and I'm sure others have been wondering a couple of things.

1: What capture program do you use, or want us to use?
          2: What video software do most people use to cut scenes and shorten captures?
          3: What video editing software do you use?
          4: For someone to submit video, what resolution do you require?
          5: And what kind of 'footage' are you looking for? (I know this will change, but maybe we can use this thread to call out for footage)

1- Like you said I use shadowplay to record my game footage. I've used fraps before but what I didn't like was how much memory it would eat up. I would go through 300gb of storage in one night. With shadowplay I've been recording all night and have only used about 150gb. The one thing about shadowplay that I don't like is that there is no push to talk key to record my mic. The only way to record my mic is to set it to always record. This picks up all my background noise.

2- I use sony vegas pro 12 to do all my editing.

3- When I render for youtube its usually with the following settings

Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, WMA
          Video: 29.970 fps, 1280x720 Progressive, WMV, 6.3 Mbps
          Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000

4- I havent shared any footage with anyone before but this is something I will look into.

5- It all depends on the subject but right now im working on a armor video. If anyone has any cool footage let me know!

Comment

Ghost I believe the latest Shadowplay update adds push to talk recording. At least the patch notes claim that, haven't tested it yet.

Comment

I just checked and it gives me the option of turning the mic on and off while recording. I could bind it with my comms button but I would have to press the key twice to turn on and off

Comment

The latest update I have for shadowplay shows the Alt+F7 for mic toggle (default and updated within the past week), I think it records in a MP4 format (hence the smaller file size). If so then the audio should be a separate track, but that means you'd have to have footage of the same thing to do an audio overlay. I've had the same problem with fraps and have had the fps drop dramatically while doing a capture of PST Amerish footage.

You can rebind the mic to your comms key, but I don't know yet how well that works.

Comment

Perhaps a DropBox could eb handy for this current project and future ones. This is something we should definitely look into and other than that, I think we may need a video to show newer people how to access recordings from the planetside directory and how to uploa/what settings are neded for YouTube.
                  Questions about those who deserve it!
                  "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                    Ghost I believe the latest Shadowplay update adds push to talk recording. At least the patch notes claim that, haven't tested it yet.
                    You should come back to the fold Wicks!! "We'll make you famous" :row__523:
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X