Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using ethernet opposed to wireless card reduce ping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using ethernet opposed to wireless card reduce ping?

Have been using built in wireless card on my laptop for a long time and get a ping of 60-110 on Mattherson. Do you think switching over to ethernet would be beneficial in terms of reducing ping?

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: Using ethernet opposed to wireless card reduce ping?

I use a powerline adapter for my rig. They are pretty cheap and some come with wifi boosters. Here is the one I use http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4...erline+adapter

Comment

I'm always hardwired with my desktop. I might be making this up, but I feel that I have better priority over other devices with the bandwidth.

Comment

With a wired connection eg 1000/100 you have the best connection to your internet device, less interference, protocol and security to navargate. the shorter the cable the better.

Wireless connection are prone to interference from other wireless devices or power supplies eg microwaves, which can increace errors and dropped packets, this would be OK for web browsing, up/downloading and remote app servers, but for games every dropped packet means the game may stutter, lag or course the game server to dropped your connection.

EoP Ethernet over power line has its issues with games aswell, with another layer for the data to pass through and also relies on your mains wireing been tidy. If you do use EoP make sure that the host adaptor is on the same ring main as the slave devices, mainy propities around me have an isolated ringmain for each floor, wet rooms and kitchen sockets, they can also have issue with extention sockets so should be plugged directly into the wall socket.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Wireless has the stigma from its early days to always increase your latency significantly but that is not always the case as technology has improved greatly. The following is a simple test that can give you an idea of how well your wireless latency is doing:

1. Open a command prompt
          2. Enter "ipconfig
          3. note the IP listed for "Default Gateway". This is usually the device your wireless is connecting too.
          4. Enter command "ping -t". Observe a few things: does the pings drop alot of packets? what is the average number next to "time" say low being good high being bad. This would be your "latency" to the gateway. Think of this like taking a heart beat of your systems connection.

For comparing purposes. Im on a desktop with a wireless adapter on the first floor. My system connects to a wireless router upstairs. When I ping the router I usually have maybe 1 packet drop in a 10 - 30 min period. Usually not noticed. My latency is usually between 1 or 2 with occasional spikes to 5. This would not be a noticeable difference. A wired connection would likely improve my connection by never going above 2. An insignificant improvement at higher cost for my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
            With a wired connection eg 1000/100 you have the best connection to your internet device, less interference, protocol and security to navargate. the shorter the cable the better.

Wireless connection are prone to interference from other wireless devices or power supplies eg microwaves, which can increace errors and dropped packets, this would be OK for web browsing, up/downloading and remote app servers, but for games every dropped packet means the game may stutter, lag or course the game server to dropped your connection.

EoP Ethernet over power line has its issues with games aswell, with another layer for the data to pass through and also relies on your mains wireing been tidy. If you do use EoP make sure that the host adaptor is on the same ring main as the slave devices, mainy propities around me have an isolated ringmain for each floor, wet rooms and kitchen sockets, they can also have issue with extention sockets so should be plugged directly into the wall socket.
            Agree with vts here. All my gaming, when ping matters, is done over ethernet.
            Last edited by QuantumQrack; 03-08-2014, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Yeah. Don't expect a big ping benefit, but you might see less interference from various EM emitting devices, conflicting wifi usage, etc. I'd say the main benefit is reliability over major performance gains.

Comment

Thanks guys, switching to ethernet from now on. While I didn't notice a reduction in ping I experienced a stronger connection and haven't experienced any hang-ups where everything would go into limbo.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                  Thanks guys, switching to ethernet from now on. While I didn't notice a reduction in ping I experienced a stronger connection and haven't experienced any hang-ups where everything would go into limbo.

Good move. People need to remember that wireless interconnected devices suffer from the inverse square law, which basically means that as distance increases, your wireless signal power goes down exponentially. (and this is in vacuum. Much more signal power decrease in atmosphere.) Also, if you don't have line of sight, that is bad as well. All these things contribute to a poor gaming experience via wireless.

Read this if you want to understand more:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/academi...8_Wireless.pdf

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...