MOBO: Gigabyte h97 lga1150
    RAM: 8 gigs kingston
    HD: 1 TB
    MOUSE: razer deathadder
    KEYBOARD: Azio Levetron
    MONITOR: 24inch 1080p Acer
    PSU: 600w Corsair modular
    CASE: Ultra Defender II

Coming in the mail soon, pics coming soon and I'll probably be asking questions on how to build this here.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: I (finally) bought a new PC

HEY CAN YOU LEND ME SOME FRAMES Lol congrats on the purchase

Comment

whats the refresh rate on your monitor?

Comment

Right now I ordered a cheap 60hz but I plan on upgrading later. I've never played on anything greater than 60hz and the difference In actual benefit from 60-144hz is debatable.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
          MOBO: Gigabyte h97 lga1150
          > Gigabyte h97
          > h97
          > h

Is that a typo?
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
            > Gigabyte h97
            > h97
            > h

Is that a typo?
            Nope: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7807IK

Have no idea what the "h" means but it had Daelon's seal of approval so I bought it.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

h series boards are not over clockable. But your k series CPU is. What you want is a z97 board, not h97. Or save a few bucks and get a non k 4690.

I could come up with a couple other nitpicks, too, if you want to hear them, but that's the main thing.

Is the stuff on the way already?
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The k processor was cheaper than the normal and "s" versions on amazon..I'm not too worried as I'm not really interested in overclocking too much.

What other nitpicks do you see?

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Also, I plan on upgrading to 16 gigs of ram and a ssd (at least 256g) soon for all my steam garbage

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Firstly, good job on choosing the 4690k and and r9 series GPU. I think those are right at the sweet spot for price/performance for a gaming rig right now.

The k processor was cheaper than the normal and "s" versions on amazon..I'm not too worried as I'm not really interested in overclocking too much.
                    Alright. Then the other difference is h series boards only support a single GPU in x16. The z series can split those lanes into your choice of 1x16 or 2x8 or 1x8+2x4. But if you never plan on adding a second GPU, that may not be an issue for you either.

Personally, I like to have options to extend the viability of my machine years down the road (by adding a second GPU for instance, or overclocking CPU to squeeze out a little more performance).

What other nitpicks do you see?
                    Not sure what your budget is/was, but here are a few thoughts:

Yes I was going to suggest adding an SSD, but sounds like you will later.

R9 290 would be more performance for not too much more money. It's after that where diminishing returns begin. But a 280 should be respectable.

When it comes to mouse, keyboard, monitor(s), the older I get, the more willing I am to invest more money in quality. Keep in mind that these parts often can and will last you multiple builds. Which ultimately saves you money in the long run. Same could be said of cases, but case styling is a very personal choice.

And never Razer, not even once. :p lol

You didn't mention the brand of HDD but I hope you would only trust your data to a quality drive (for mechanicals, I prefer WD Blacks with their 5 year warranty).

You didn't mention model of PSU, Corsair generally make good units, but it depends on the specific model. There are only a few companies that really make power supplies, so doing some in depth research on your particular model is often helpful. Personally I only use 80 Plus Platinum rated PSUs, not because of saving electricity, but just because I figure they are made better (and therefore will likely last longer). Fully modular is also nice though, and usually only found on better models.

Not that any of this matters, if you have already pulled the trigger. lol
                    Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 12-31-2014, 07:00 AM.

Comment

now you can watch me dunk on you on ultra settings =)

Jk Im glad you finally got a rig penny!

just remember when putting it together use a hard surface avoid laying anything on carpet.

Comment

I got a WD HD and I've had a Anker8000 mouse for almost a year and I think I broke the sensor a little bit because the cursor will move if I'm not touching the mouse.

I only do wired mice and the Deathadder seemed okay.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

I got a Logitech G502 Proteus mouse a couple of months back, it felt a little weird at first (as most new mice do) but I'm loving it now. And you cant fault Logitech on the software, even down to tuning it correctly for the surface you use it on.
                          I love my G15 Keyboard too, I have it set up so I can see my cpu and gpu temps and usage on the lcd screen. Brilliant bit of kit with the right plugin's.

You may regret not being able to overclock your CPU further down the road. These newer intel CPU's overclock for fun and can really give you a performance boost, especially in something like PS2 which can be CPU intensive. My 3.3Ghz base has been overclocked to 4.5Ghz and its rock solid (I have a Corsair H50 sitting on top of it).

Hope you enjoy your new build though.
                          It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
                          - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

I'm still running a 3770K, I have it OC'd to 4.2 GHz with a similar (if not the same) cooler as Finestyle. It does help. I should be getting an Nvidia GTX780 TI, it turns out my dual Radeon HD 7870's are known for being buggy (imagine that). I also made sure my RAM was good for 1866, and have an 850 Watt Corsair modular supply to make sure everything is solid.

All in all, looks pretty solid. I echo that SSD's are beautiful, my only warning is that NO ARCHIVE-TYPE STORAGE data should be put on one. They are not a data vault style storage medium.
                            MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

The case came, everything else will be here early this week except the PSU, which is on back order :(

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...