Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are good hardware choices for a PS2 rig?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are good hardware choices for a PS2 rig?

I had a friend offer to give me an older computer but that fell through so now I'm going to be building one, very soon.

Its been a while since I've been in the gaming ring and I've never built a computer before but I'd like to know what you guys have got and how well does it run PS2. Budget is probably midrange and I'm looking at MSI 960 as a GPU and the I7 devilbridge.

Re: What are good hardware choices for a PS2 rig?

Well, you don't really need an i7 at all unless you are doing some additional multithreaded work loads in addition to gaming (video compression, etc.). Save yourself $100 and put it toward other components. Also, I think you could probably get a lot better GPU for the money than that 960 right now.

I am running an i5-4690k, Sapphire R9 290, 16 GB RAM, Intel SSD and I am getting like 70 FPS in the warpgate, and maybe around 30 in big fights. Keep in mind however that I am pushing a monster 30" screen (@2560 x 1600) at highest graphics settings, plus (2x) 20" side monitors in a 20 30 20 PLP setup (although those only display TeamSpeak, or web browser, or whatever). And I haven't even over clocked anything yet.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Wow. Yeah I doubt I'd be even running a similar screen setup. Probably will settle for a nice 23'' display or similar but I would be running two monitors though the other one wouldn't be for gaming normally.

See that is what I thought about the i5 versus i7. Is the i7 necessary for any game out now or soon to be out?

Comment

"Necessary"? No.

Games are becoming better at utilizing more cores and hyperthreading and as a result SOME new games see substantial benefits from i7s over i5s (GTAV, BF4, FC4), but only when the game is not GPU-limited.

Off the top of my head (do more research than listening to me, obviously) you'd probably be better going with the i5 and getting a 970 GPU, they're pretty reasonably priced now that the 980s have been out for a while.

Planetside 2 has always been heavily dependent on single-thread CPU speed, so unless something has changed, an i5 will probably perform nearly identically to a comparable i7.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Straight and I were just discussing the topic of i5 vs i7 roughly starting here in his build thread in the general Hardware & Software forum. I suppose I should go post this reply and continue the discussion over there, but I was going to say that is quite a narrow set of parameters where the i7 really outperforms the i5, and even then it is not by a whole lot (I am assuming the numbers posted are FPS).

Furthermore, I would suggest that you can get more GPU for your money by going AMD right now. If you can still find an R9 290 (or maybe even a 290X?) I would grab one, they are dropping in price (but harder to find) since the 390s came out. And the 390 is only a refresh anyway, same exact card basically except with 8GB VRAM instead of 4GB. And if you are not pushing a huge display, you wouldn't need the additional VRAM anyway.

As a matter of fact, I am thinking very seriously about pulling the trigger on either this refurbished or this open box R9 290 which are currently $219.99 or $259.99, respectively. But that's because that Sapphire was/is a good card, after reading all the reviews it was the one I bought for my system initially (last year) and I want to grab a second, matching card to put into a Crossfire setup. Because, you know, 30 FPS at maxed out settings in a big fight at 2560x1600 is like, unacceptable, maaan. :p

Your needs may be slightly different, I did my research thoroughly as of last year and pulled the trigger on the best card I could at that time. Things have changed a little in some ways but not much. Read between the lines of what is going in terms of marketing BS and release schedules (designed only to maximize GPU company / seller profits) and you can save yourself some money.

So, I would say, get an i5, save money, if you know for sure you will never overclock then you don't even need the k model and can save a little more money stlll, then do more research into and buy the best GPU you can afford. And I look forward to seeing you back in game soon! It has been too long, man!
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X