CPU shutting off in mid-game play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU shutting off in mid-game play

My computer started a new habit the past week -- randomly rebooting while playing Planetside 2.

Anyone else experiencing this issue lately?
    sigpic

Re: CPU shutting off in mid-game play

My systems went into zombie mode while playing PS2(blanks screen no output, hdd still doing its thing) twice last week

But then I was using a new GPU and SSD, so was running with different hardware then normal.

Also after these issues, I auto-updated to the latest AMD drivers and software.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

E-Male,

Sounds like system instability. Maybe re-seat your RAM. Check your temps. Maybe your CPU or other fan(s) have gone out? PSU? Could be any number of things. Maybe run a RAM diagnostic overnight.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I can definitely say I haven't had shutdowns. It sounds like an over heating issue.

Comment

Did two things more or less at once: blew the dust out of the computer box and gpu and disconnected, reconnected power cord.

Problem disappeared. Also did memory test (no faults) and looked at cpu/gpu temps while in-game -- no changes from ordinary readings.

Either it was a lose power cord (seems unlikely given the failure at game start) or dust-related heat issue on a component.

Was rock stable all last evening so looking good for now.
          sigpic

Comment

Was there a lot of dust in there? Particularly on cooling fins / heatsink? If so, that could have been causing a heat issue.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Glad to hear you have had no issues of late [MENTION=8381]E-Male[/MENTION]

It could have been an ps2 patch issue, now updated.

I also noticed around the time of the post:
              Windows 10 did a large update.
              AMD driver/Apps Updated
              PS2 did a few updates.

But it always helps to give the System some TLC and remove any dust build up.

Let us know if you have the issues again, especially if the issue can be repeated without change.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

After hours of changing parameters, rebooting, and game fail I turned all power off to the cpu, pulled the GUP card out (ever so slightly) reseated it, wiggled a few power cables, and blew dust off the beast. System is now stable (just saved around $2000 by doing some dusting). May have been dust, may have been loose connections, may have been inventive cursing, whatever it was it is fixed.

For now.
                sigpic

Comment

You're not really fixing stuff until you start cursing. lol

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                    My systems went into zombie mode while playing PS2.

Mine does the same thing! By which I mean it becomes suave and charming, an outstanding and brave person, and handsome.

:row__519:

Actually been experiencing some random lockups in game, which never used to happen.
                    Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

Step one: Turn off all power, disconnect power cord, and wiggle stuff around.
                      sigpic

Comment

...wiggle stuff around. ...
                        Hmm, that's banned in my country. We simply poke it with a small stick until it moves or make a noise.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

As a Canadian, I am against the concealed carrying of sharp sticks.
                          sigpic

Comment

don't blow it out with can air. hopefully you have a much stronger burst of air to blow out everything. Hook up the compressor but hold it away or reverse the vacuum air direction. Take it outside when you do this. you will be amazed at the dust that puffs out.

FUN FUN

Comment

Found the issue a few weeks ago: Long story, short version, my three prong extension cord connecting to the surge protector had blackened prongs from micro(?) shorts (dust? bugs?). Replaced the extension cord and the powerbar/surge protector and no more PS2 fails.

years of tears due to this issue...
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...