No announcement yet.

CPU shutting off in mid-game play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not familiar with AMD GPUs or their overclocking. Do you mean to say that you maybe hit a power limit and the computer reset?

Comment

Originally posted by Heleana View Post
      I'm not familiar with AMD GPUs or their overclocking. Do you mean to say that you maybe hit a power limit and the computer reset?
      I'll never know -- could be a power limit, but i have a corsair 850w psu soooo. I think the overclocking/fan control app enabled autooverclocking everytime I used it to increase fan speed, and this led to instability. Buuut, it could be a psu issue. stable now. using new fan control app from AMD/sapphire.
      sigpic

Comment

Aaaaaaaaand its back. All day today (3x) PS2 would reboot my cpu after about 5 minutes of game time. Maybe a sign that it is time for a new build. A new cpu, MoB, GPU, power supply, (new ram?), corsair heat pump thingy. Can I do this for $1000 CND and get decent performance with planetside?

Got to get my PS2 fix.
        sigpic

Comment

E-Male . I am probably going to buy a new system in the next months. Ryzen 3000 series is coming out later this month.

If you want to browse what other's have built check out PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/#X=0,99801

Comment

Aaaaand I fixed it by wiggling wires and stuff. A loose connection somewhere...
            sigpic

Comment

AMD's Ryzen 3000 series CPUs officially announced:
              https://www.anandtech.com/show/14407...e-40-coming-77

Releases July 7th, a month and a half from now.

Not nearly as good as the rumor mill specs I saw a few months ago.

Looks like the 3800X or 3600X are the gaming sweet spots, depending on your budget. I'd avoid the 3900X even if you can afford it because it uses the chiplet design. At least until everyone agrees there's no downsides to the chiplets, but gaming seems like just the thing that would have a downside for it.

I'd highly recommend waiting for gaming benchmark and reviews, these are not the Intel killers they were made out to be, at best they match Intel, but that's it.

Comment

Thanks Boildown . I have been waiting for the Ryzen 3000 series to come out. It will be hard but I think I should probably wait for those benchmarks that you mentioned.

Comment

Aaaand it is back.

sigh.
                  sigpic

Comment

At what point do you just start from fresh?

Comment

Originally posted by Heleana View Post
                      At what point do you just start from fresh?
                      when i can afford 2 grand for a new build...

good news is it is still intermittent -- the fix that usually works involves shutting of power and wiggling wires n stuff in the box. I think it may be a loose power-cord BUT that makes no sense as the fault only occurs after i am in game, usually within a few minutes and often as soon as i respawn the first time. odd -- so it looks like a very random power surge, only effecting PS2. Not worth putting down $$ to fix just yet.
                      sigpic

Comment

hmm to put 50 notes into Station Cash or to put two months rent into spending it...

May I suggest installing one of Sony's other games, (DBG) like H1Z1 or even removing PS2 and doing a fresh install to see if you have the same starting issue?

If your are looking to build a system yourself in the future I would start by do a bit of research on the Power supply unit, and its connections and maybe swap out you existing PSU with an new, more powerful unit.

When receiving a shipment of base units, I would gut all the systems and later power test each PSU by connecting 2 of its pins. Thi swas to separate all the units that powered up from the ones that either triggered the RCD (Residual Current Device) or did not power up at all. This also allow each PSU to be PAT tested (Portable appliance testing). Once logged the part would go into the IF NEEDED pile.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-A...gateway&sr=8-2

The next test would be using something similar the the device above to test voltages not under load filtering out even more faulty ones.

We used the same process for all the other parts so we ended up with a 'stock' of fully working parts and a 'lot' of faulty/need more work parts.

We/I only looked at the IF NEEDED pile, if we needed extra parts for custom/branded repairs or were short of parts needed to for fill an order.

In short, the PSU was the first part we tested for a computer from an unknown, not tracked by us, source. (This also included AC to DC High to low volt transformers including laptop power supplies, custom computer and CNC machining power units.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                          hmm to put 50 notes into Station Cash or to put two months rent into spending it...

May I suggest installing one of Sony's other games, (DBG) like H1Z1 or even removing PS2 and doing a fresh install to see if you have the same starting issue?

If your are looking to build a system yourself in the future I would start by do a bit of research on the Power supply unit, and its connections and maybe swap out you existing PSU with an new, more powerful unit.

An excellent idea. The current psu is a mid-range quality corsair .. def more power then needed.

a complication is the electrical feed coming from my apt to the computer is, i think, NOT grounded. YET, i do not think this is the source of the problem as it ONLY relates to PS2 game.

I have done too many reinstalls on this problem, inc entire c drive. so I am not going down that path again...

was solid last night, no failures. And this after I did the usual 'fix" -- then off and disconnect power, unplug and replug main power into the computer, and wiggle **** inside the box...

Stilll, I am tempted to go buy a new box and start assembling a new computer piece by piece...but for fear that by the time i get to the last piece the first piece is will be obsolete...

sigpic

Comment

If you suspect dirty power, maybe you need a decent UPS to protect your computer from your electrical supply?

For example, from here: https://www.apc.com/us/en/support/pr...kup-system.jsp
                            under the heading "What are some key features to understand when choosing a UPS system?", you should really focus on a UPS with "Automatic Voltage Regulation" and "Power Conditioning".

I have two UPSs running, one large one for my desktop computers (gaming PC and streaming/encoding PC) and a small one for the cable modem and internet router, and they click on fairly often even when I don't see the lights flicker, both of them independently at the same time, which means something weird just happened but I was protected. If I had a vulnerable motherboard that might have just messed up my PC and I would have no idea why. My cable modem used to randomly reboot itself until I put it on a UPS. Downside is right around every two years I have to buy new batteries, I started writing the dates on them when I put them in to track how long they last, as I buy them from third party suppliers now instead of the original manufacturer (APC) to save money. The third party batteries aren't that expensive though, it was worth it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X