Laptop for Planetside 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop for Planetside 2

I am contemplating purchasing a new laptop to play Planetside 2 on (via wifi connection to my desktop cpu).

What would you recommend (less expensive options that do not compromise playability...)?

thanks.
    sigpic

Re: Laptop for Planetside 2

It cannot be done (at least not on a budget).

Oh well, time to think about a new rig.
    sigpic

Comment

Emale, that thread you linked to was 2 1/2 years old. I know people's definition of "acceptable performance" and "budget" vary. I currently run PS2 on a Acer Aspire V17 Nitro that I purchased about a year ago. 17.3 IPS screen (gorgeous!) I7 with 16GB, GTX860M graphics. At the time the normal price at Newegg was $1300, and they had it for $999. Only thing missing was an SSD, and the machine isn't user-upgradable in any sense. Runs PS2 very nicely, thank you. Also great for photo editing large (36 megapixel) files.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks J -- good news indeed as I would like to keep the cost below 1 grand.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
          Thanks J -- good news indeed as I would like to keep the cost below 1 grand.
          That was the limit I was working to also, on direct orders from my FFO (Family Finance Officer)
          sigpic

Comment

>gaming
            >laptop

Choose one.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

haha yeah I know my computer is a an "Ibuypower" 400 to 500 dollar model with a gtx 760 ti graphics card I installed myself along with a replacement in power supply unit to run the graphix card in total the upgrade cost me about 200 dollars if i didnt get my graphics card from a friend. pretty sure my computer was around 450 and plus upgrades it would have been around 700$ if i didn't get the awesome discount by buying the graphix card for 40$ from him. I run mine on medium and get a solid 40 to 50 fps and on low i get a good 40 to around 70 fps depending on the fight and another of server issues, technically speaking id say steadier frame rate is better that higher but jumpy frame rate for playability My computer came great but I cant attest for anyone else. That being said i also did alot of research and figured out how to replace parts and take apart the machine safeley before i performed my upgrades myself. Id say building your own is a good option if your particularily hardware savy but buying a lower end then upgradeing is probably the safest mix of DIY to price effeciency. Also while PS2 is a cpu bound game i still did find a graphics card upgrade can help as the base model pc that i got's bottleneck was the the Gpu as a opposed to the cpu

Comment

The laptop would need to have mobile versions of Nvidia GTX9xxx level cards to run PS2 well.

If you just want it to run at 1080p... you could maybe do with a lesser card, but look for laptops with GTX960M or above I would say. A GTX980M is mobile version which is more like a 970 desktop version. So likewise, a 970M is like a 960, and a 960M is kinda lower end too but good value.

I know it is outside your budget, but what I find interesting is the newest laptops that have an upgradable separate GPU connected using Thunderbird.

See Razor Core:
                http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/9/107...-core-ces-2016

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-razer-cor...n-waiting-for/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse