Sporadic unplayable network problems in large battles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporadic unplayable network problems in large battles

Wondering if someone can help me figure this out. I've been unable to play for the last week because whenever I do I'll get 5-10 minutes of solid performance followed by completely unplayable network performance that has everybody warping around like crazy (and, according to others, I'm warping like nuts as well). This seems like it might be tied to large battles, but I can't be sure. After a while (when things calm down?) it'll go back to something playable, but the cycle repeats.

I'd think it was some kind of sporadic performance drop in my network that I could blame on my ISP, but given that I'm not seeing any problems in other games, video streaming, etc, I'm not sure about that.

Any suggestions?

Re: Sporadic unplayable network problems in large battles

I used to have this when I was running .Windows 7 HOME (64 bit)

remember my flying sunderer

Never solved the issue, reinstall had the same issue.

I ended up installing .Windows 7 Pro (64Bit) and these issues disappeared

Now moved to Windows 10

What I might suggest, if you have a spare Hard Drive and the know how:
    * Install a fresh copy of Windows on a blank drive
    * Setup all device drivers
    * Install the Game
    then try again, see if that helps

If you have the same issue, then maybe a driver issue or hardware issue or other incompatibility

EDIT (What is VigLink) it keeps dropping hyper link on keywords in the webpage, but does not show the code and there is no controls to change it

EDIT x2 ok its not me, its part of vBulletin, just never see it before now..
    Last edited by vts; 03-02-2016, 07:22 AM.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Currently on Windows 7 Pro already, and swapping out or upgrading the OS by means of experimentation isn't something I'm really up for doing at the moment. :/

I can't think of anything major that might have changed on my device in the last few weeks when this problem has started. I'll try and take a closer look, but I'd have thought that this is the same setup that's run PS2 reliably for years now. Maybe something Windows Update snuck in might be the culprit?

Comment

Man, it could just be so many things. It might not be on your machine. I'd begin diagnosis by looking to the internet, as that is something that can certainly have intermittent issues, as you describe. And if nothing else has changed on your machine, I'd look to the outside (of your computer, i.e., including your LAN) first.

I think there is a server utility somewhere that will check your latency to the server, maybe have a look at that when you have issues (you can also get a quick ping by holding down TAB in game)?

Then it becomes a matter of tracert, etc. and trying to figure out where the problem lie. If you can't find anything on your LAN or out on the internet, only then would I start looking at your computer itself (unless you are starting to have a flaky NIC, although it's probably more likely out on the internet).
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I can confirm that the in-game indicator is showing no problems (decent ping, good connection), which makes me extremely suspect of it as an indicator for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
            I can confirm that the in-game indicator is showing no problems (decent ping, good connection), which makes me extremely suspect of it as an indicator for anything.
            I would agree that the in-game indicator can many times paint a rosier than reality picture, but it's still of some use some times. Yeah, not sure what's up with that.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Network Address Translation (NAT) is bad for gaming

Comment

Would that actually cause the sorts of problems I'm seeing? I thought NAT would just end up disconnecting me...

Comment

Have you run tracert to try and narrow down where the problem may lie?

I've got some time off this week, and I've been dealing with my own networking issues, so maybe I can help you with yours in the meantime.

Comment

Finally got some time to mess around with this, and I think I've got it solved!

Found the solution at the bottom of this thread.

To sum up:
                    • Open windows command line (search for "cmd" on the start menu)
                    • ipconfig /release
                    • ipconfig /renew
                    • ipconfig /flushdns

Comment

That's it? lol Pretty simple fix. Hopefully it holds up for you.

Comment

Seems to have managed for a few hours at a time on Saturday, so I'm optimistic. Still, if renewing the IP and flushing the DNS was what it took to fix it... what in the world was actually happening?

Comment

It's entirely possible it was some intermittent issue out on the internet. What you did may or may not have had anything to do with fixing the problem. Hard to say without first doing tracert to pin down where the problem lie.

Comment

[MENTION=16189]starstriker1[/MENTION]

Is this how the world looked when you had Lag issues?

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...w-s-how-to-fly

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Yeah, except it was everyone, and it was way, way worse. It was impossible to track an individual minimap icon because it would warp so much from one frame to the next. In a large fight, it was basically like my minimap was being actively jammed. :P

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X