Ideal CPU for Planetside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal CPU for Planetside?

Thinking about upgrading my system with a $1500 budget for cpu, mobo, GPU, and new ram (if needed) MAINLY with the intention of getting significant FPS rates in PS2 (now at 50 fps avg but crawls to 20-25 or less in big fights -- i would like to be able to experience PS2 on ULTRA with reasonable FPS rates).

I have read that PS2 is mainly CPU intensive.

So I am off to the forums to find out what the best value CPU is for high FPS performance (without sacrificing high quality image rendering) for PS2.

I'll log my findings here.
    sigpic

To give some idea I currently have a i5-4690K. I am definitely CPU bound. On fights with 100+ players I will dip down into the 40s but remain pretty steady around 50.

If I could do it over I would have spent $100 more to get the i7-4790K for my motherboard. PS2 is not that demanding on my GPU from what I find. My GPU usage is at about 30% while my CPU is >95% in large fights. I can't speak to 6 core i7 CPUs or Ryzen 8+ core CPUs but I would imagine that the more CPU power you can throw at it the better.

Comment

For current parts and a $1500 budget I would say the i7-7700K for minimum CPU and GPU Nvidia GTX 1070. I would also get an aftermarket CPU cooler and look at overclocking. You can do some research on how the modern CPUs overclock and the difficulty therein (which is not much).

Comment

Is PS2 coded to take advantage of multithreading though? Because most games are not. So unless the i7-7700K just has a higher clock per CPU (which it may, I didn't bother to look it up), the fact that it has more cores is not going to help in gaming. It will help with a multithreaded workload however for example video encoding / rendering, compiling code, etc. The i7 is one of the biggest memes in gaming. Save your money and buy a higher clocked quad core, unless you also use the computer for other tasks (as mentioned above).
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

From the research I have done, the answer I got was that PS2 does not support multi threading. So Randy would be correct to my knowledge that higher clock speed is the way to get more bang for your buck.

Comment

Just another thought... if your budget is $1,500 (that's pretty nice!) you might not need to put it all into CPU, etc. as your OP made it seem you were leaning in that direction.

I am not sure what you have for a monitor(s) but this is something not always discussed / considered when upgrading gaming equipment. I made the investment in a 30" monitor a while back, and I've never regretted it. I enjoy it every day (as part of a 20 30 20 PLP setup, which besides gaming is great for other types of productive work as well).

Also I finally splurged last build for a nice backlit mechanical keyboard, quality mouse, and quality (80 Plus Platinum) PSU. The mouse and keyboard I thoroughly enjoy, and I've always been a fan of nice clean power (perhaps something you appreciate more since your power cord debacle).

Finally, I haven't heard you mention nor seen any interest on your part that I can recall in Star Citizen, but some sort of HOTAS setup would be along those lines as well if you like to fly (although I seem to recall you doing mostly infantry and vehicle/sundy stuff) and/or looking forward to release of that title. Just some food for thought in some different directions.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Looking at the i7 7700K (Best in class, Toms; Best CPU, techradar) at 389$ CND. The AMD Ryzen cpus are good but not sure they deliver the same clock speed/ performance -- keep seeing the i7 core coming up in related discussions but have not found a clear consensus or compelling case made for Ryzen vs i7 cores as far as PS2 is concerned. more news later!
              sigpic

Comment

The push for an i5 (6700K) is a valid one for gaming. Most games will not max out the CPU. Planetside 2 is the one that will though. My bias towards the i7 is the higher clock speeds over the i5. They both can overclock, but searches online show the i7 being able to go further as expected. I can only give you my experiences first hand. They are that the i5-4690K that I have is pegged out at 95%+ in PS2 while the GPU is basically idle. When I order my CPU cooler I will overclock it to get a few more frames.

Comment

FWIW, I do think the latest Battlefield can take advantage of more cores. And Star Citizen I keep hearing, should be able to also. And some other games maybe too (and perhaps more going forward?), but I couldn't tell you which ones. But I have been hearing this for literally years now. I do get the sense though that remarkably few games, even now, can take advantage of multithreaded workloads. I think it has more to do with the serial nature of most gaming workloads.

Comment

Current Rig-
                    I7-7700K
                    16GB DDR4 2400
                    EVGA 1080Ti
                    2x Samsung 960 M.2 500GB NVMe SSD
                    1200w PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PSU (had it for years)
                    ASUS Prime Z270-A motherboard
                    Corsair H100i V2 liquid CPU cooler
                    Thermaltake X71 Full tower case

If you do decide to go with the 7700K, I cant recommend liquid cooling enough. You'll find a lot of posts about them running hot (and deliding [Dont do it]) and my liquid cooling prevents any real temp from building up. I play PS2 with everything set as high as it will go and worst case in bigggg fights is I drop to 50 FPS. Which those level of fights are rare these days. Frame drops I generally attribute to optimization at this day and age...game is certainly not new and can run well on 5 year old hardware (like my old pc I built in 2012.)

Comment

Thought I should chime in, when the 8XXX series chips drop, the entire line up of current class names for Intel chips get two more cores added to them. The current i5 becomes the i3, while the new i5 will have 6 cores. The i7 will be 8 threads and the higher end i7 will be 12 threads and of course, the i9 series have above 12 threads. Keep in mind that there will be an increase of price for the extra cores.

Comment

Hyper threading often doesn't matter with games because of how random the pace of the workload changes. In some cases the games performance can be better if you disable hyper threading. This video is a good example, and it applies to most major title games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj9cuHuTNVU

Keep this in mind when purchasing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X