• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who will be playing Star Citizen?

the 350 should have more cargo compared to the M50

Comment

Everything's still up in the air of course, but as the M50 is designed purely and simply to be the fastest thing going, I'd hazard a guess that the M50 will be the ultimate in go-faster.

As it stands, they both have 2xTR4 engines, but the M50 is a fair bit lighter. The M50 has 8 maneuvering engines, but they're TR2 as opposed to the 350R's 12xTR1. The M50 is also about half the length, width, and height of the 350R, so it'll be a bit easier to thread it past obstacles.

The flip side is less versatility. The M50 has 60% the 350R's cargo space, less space for modifications, and 4 weapon hardpoints vs 5.

Again, this is obviously all subject to change but it is indicative of the direction they want to take the two ships.

The 350R is like a BMW M3, the M50 is more like a BMW S1000RR. One's a consumer car modified to high performance specs, the other's a purpose-built racer that a consumer can buy. The M50 will likely be faster around a track, but the 300R won't be far behind, and it'll be better at bringing home groceries.

Depends on what you want. M50's a little cheaper. (80$ vs 100$)
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Wonder how much the caterpillar is...

Keep an eye on it when it is up on the 20th...
        [MENTION=28321]Charles Darwin[/MENTION] we can watch to buy an idrus on the 26th...

Comment

I've got a Freelancer and Hornet. Will be getting a Gladiator and perhaps a Retaliator for bombing. I signed up with the S.U.N. (Systems United Navy) a while back.
          SPOOK...
          "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - George S. Patton

Comment

Great, we got a crazy person on the loose! Watch out!

Comment

As previously stated, I have been watching this thread with interest, looks like a cool game. Recently watching the show Firefly for the first time (on Netflix) is only serving to further pique my interest. lol

But while I am very intrigued at the idea of crowd sourced game development funding, and the freedom that will grant the developer, I am honestly a bit leery about plunking down my hard earned coin before any actual game has even been created. But even moreso at the prices quoted, which seem a bit steep for me for a video game (particularly if considering buying multiple ships).

Now you may think me a cheapskate (and I probably am), but I ended up spending probably >$150 on Planetside 2, the difference there was it was over time and was a game I actually got to play first, and by doing that I discovered I really liked and would be spending a lot of time in.

Without getting into a massive debate on whether we trust this guy/company to actually deliver a finished product, I would simply like to know:

1.How much will the price be going up if I wait until a game is actually produced, or is at least a little further along in the development process?
              2.Or will the price be the same, or what else will I be losing?

The answer to #2, near as I can tell, is just some long term insurance? What is that, if your ship is destroyed, you can get another, as many times as you like?

Pardon my ignorance, and I am really not trolling, just not as familiar with the game as you all seem to be. I have looked around the games website, but not been able to find much useful info other than "sign up here and pay $x or $y for such and such level supporter package."
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

[MENTION=33568]Randy_Shughart_ClwFL[/MENTION]

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...s-on-doubters/
                http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11...-star-citizen/

Comment

It's 30$ for the basic digital-download game package.

Not sure about final release prices, but I can see the base packages moving up to AAA prices (50 bucks or so) at release. Not sure what their exact intent is with this.

Basically, you're buying the game and what you first start out with depends on your pledge. You can gain or lose it all depending on how you play the game. Each package (including the 30$ one) comes with a copy of the game (obviously), a starting ship, a pre-paid period of insurance for said ship, and some starting credits. "Enough to buy a modification or two and some cargo."

Veteran backers (from early in the crowdfunding) got a couple bonuses - certain packages are 5-10$ less, we get some items, (a pistol, a spacesuit, and a repair droid I think) and we get "Lifetime Insurance" on our starting ship hull.

The devs have gone to pains to stress that all these things will be available for people to earn in-game. They intend for insurance to be a minor recurring cost, and lifetime insurance then just represents a small cost saving over time. If your insured ship is lost you will get a replacement one "of equivalent condition", "when one is ready for you". You're only insured for the hull of your ship and whatever basic equipment it came with, and they've stated that the basic equipment on these ships is "lower-grade" equipment. Basically, there will be an incentive not to throw your ship away, as you will lose all expensive equipment or cargo and you'll be out of a ship until the insurance company comes through on your claim. They've also talked about penalties if claims are submitted frequently. It remains to be seen how it will actually be balanced, the persistent universe is a long way away.

I'm fairly confident we'll get something decent at least - these are big industry veterans working here. If it all does go south though, I'm under no illusions. It doesn't say "Buy the game" on the store page, it says "Pledge". I appreciate what they're trying to do here - make a big AAA game exclusively for the PC, for people who want to buy the game they want to make. No studios hovering over their shoulder, bringing in artificial deadlines and trying to dumb the game down and open it up to a broader audience. If they can pull out a win from this - a really great crowdfunded AAA game - it would be a wonderful thing.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

This could be a very expensive week, with all the Anniversary sale limited edition ships tempting me each time I look at the page.

Just a heads up, they Updated the list. Due to popular demand, the Super Hornet will be available for sale over the weekend, along with the Gladiator and Retaliator.
                    Give me strength to save a life...

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. I read through all the linked articles (as well as some more that were in turn linked in said articles).

@Strait,

Being a big fan of PC games, and honestly disgusted at the trend toward dumbing down to the lowest common denominator because of console/multi-platform releases, I want to believe. I really want to see this succeed, as I think it could be a game changer (for the better) in terms of future game development.

And it sounds like I won't be missing out on too much if I wait to buy. What I'm understanding is that those who got in early, did so out of a willingness to back the project by pledging, and will receive a few extra nice gifts from that but nothing (hopefully) too insurmountable that you couldn't compete with by getting in a little later. Amirite?

So, looks like that is what I will be doing (waiting a bit).

@All,

A further question comes to mind, how will this multi player crew thing work? I suppose you would have to buy the game to get in and play of course. But if one of you bought one of those bigger ships that had a crew of 4-10, would other real live people be able to play in those other positions (gunners, pilot, boarding party, etc.)? Or is that an option, without which they would be staffed by some sort of NPCs? I am referring to the persistent universe / MMO version, not Squadron 42.
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

[MENTION=33568]Randy_Shughart_ClwFL[/MENTION]

Other players can most certainly enter your ship and use the other systems. It is designed that you can invite friends into your hangar and they can fly with you. It will be possible to raid bigger ships, so be ready for shoot outs inside bigger ships... NPC's will exist to man those other positions too...

Comment

The available design docs remain frustratingly thin on nuts and bolts, IMO. That's exactly the kind of detail that I want more info on. Maybe someone here has access to more than what's on the site?

I don't necessarily need a commitment to a certain mechanic or a manual of how to play at this stage, but some sort of indication that they have at least thought about the game's DESIGN, and not just it's GOALS. That seems to be lacking. So I'm in pretty much the same camp as you, Randy. Besides, they don't need the money.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

I think it has a lot of potential. Looking forward to it.

| |

Comment

The Catepillar pirate freighter is on sale tonight and only tonight until midnight. 1 hour and 28 minutes left...

Comment

[MENTION=5809]Steeler[/MENTION]

Probably the best you can get is what's linked here: https://forums.robertsspaceindustrie...comm-links-faq

Nuts and bolts? Not really, but there is some info on how they're planning on modelling the economy, instancing players, handling player death, things like that.

The good stuff sometimes comes in direct Q&A and chatroll with the Devs, but it's a pain to trawl through.

Is there anything in specific you were wondering about? Let me know and I can keep an ear to the ground. As you can probably tell, I spend more time sniffing around SC than is probably healthy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X