Upgrade Considerations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Considerations

As I've been talking with some of our fellow TG'ers, it has come to my attention about future ship upgrades to consider. This is key to remember when operating ships in the far reaches of space.

1) stealth
    2) radar
    3) avionics
    4) engine
    5) Weapons
    6) Jump drive
    7) maneuvering thrusters

Stealth:
    I mention these things because you will need to be able to explore and map the areas in the star systems for yourself. Stealth is very important for any scouting operation. Being able to get past enemy patrols or pirate players, especially the players is key. I cannot be certain how upgrades would be implemented or how this aspect is taken care of, but as of the Ghost variant of the Hornet, it is safe to say that the technology path in upgrades does exist.

Radar:
    I view radar as a mandatory upgrade. The better the range and accuracy the better. You have to see what kind of objects are in the distance, whether it is an idris or a giant rock, you need to know what might be 50 to 100 K out from your current position.

Avionics:
    Improved avionics, is important for multiple reasons. It should improve you cockpit experience in a couple of possible way, mostly relating to the Friend or Foe identification system and targeting systems. This should work well when coupled with improved radar. There is a possibility of improving how your cockpit looks, but I can't say much on looks.

Engines:
    When considering the engines, one must consider the speed you are looking for and how much speed you are willing to cut in order to decrease your radar signature. Better engine intakes can help with fuel management and performance, but they will also increase your radar signature to some extent. Depending on the ship, you may want to upgrade your engine while altering the engine intake. I don't know exactly how parts will function, but it will be important to try to find a balance with the performance to signature size.

Weapons:
    As there are many different weapon types, finding the right balance will be difficult.

Energy Weapons:
    Energy weapons are the classic guns from the space operas of old. They can be particle based, lasers, or neutron, if I recall correctly. Energy weapons also use the ships on board power plant and must be optimized correctly. If a player had a ship with too many slow firing, energy consuming weapons, he would die too easily. He would literally run out of power. Star Citizen may not have said this, but the power plant also powers your other systems in your ship, such as the vital shield that protects your ship. So be careful when loading you weapon configurations.

Solid Shell Weapons:
    These weapons can be great for those of you who want to mow down the enemy and not have to always worry about the shield. Railguns can be fun and useful, but there is a problem. As with rifles and tank shells of today, you have to buy more of them to replenish your stock. It can be a real pain if you are low on cash.

Rockets/ Missiles:
    Again, these items cost money to keep in stock and are often dumb weapons overall since they can be easily tricked by flares or chaff. As things are upgraded, they will most likely be formidable foes to pilots trying to shake them off their trail. Whether they are dumb or smart, these weapons are possibly a great system to use. They will be expensive, if this is anything like Freelancer.

Jump Drives:
    Little information has been released on jump drives. Few of the smaller ships have them as of launch day. They should have the ability to jump from one system to another. It looks like jump drives will be available to purchase and installed into a special upgrade slot. If we are to explore space beyond the beginning system, then we must be able to expand quickly and without too much hassle.

Maneuvering thrusters:
    As things have been hinted to in various threads, announcements, and a few videos, it appears that you will be able to replace the stock thrusters. If one wants better control of the ship, it might be beneficial to upgrade the thrusters, especially if there is a need for better control at higher speeds.

Currently, the first thing to do when the alpha system module comes out, should be to explore and learn how the ship systems work.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: Upgrade Considerations

As to something I've seen recently, I believe this is a relevant video:

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I wish to bump this. I would at least hope to hear another member's view point on this.

Comment

This definitely deserves some more thought. I will have to do some more reading (now that I have time) and get back to you all withy thoughts.
        sigpic

Comment

Currently I've a very role specific view on this. My two ships focus on stealth and speed. Everything else to me is negligible and all hurdles should be overcome with more speed and more stealth. (Or at least I like to think so.)

1) stealth
          Required upgrade! Keeps my paintjob from being scratched.

2) radar
          In this case I'd use the phrase "I cant see you, you cant see me!" in the most literal of fashion. Sure identifying targets is important but I'd rather rely on an ally for that

3) avionics
          Depending on the number of engagements I plan on getting into this might become necessary. Though I don't expect it to be needed right away.

4) engine
          YES YES YES YES YES WANT MOAR! Though I will need an engine that will be silent when I need it to be, but fast when I don't.

5) Weapons
          Will have basic defenses. Perhaps a very expensive missiles on board for one shot kills...

6) Jump drive
          required for play, like you said not enough information to be able to say how you'd upgrade it.

7) maneuvering thrusters
          Stealth and speed both require very accurate manouvering. this will definitely be required on my ships. Though I'll have to balance this with energy signature...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X