Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next ship to purchase...

Gentlemen (I use this term lightly)
    I need some input as to what I should spend some hard earned money on. I currently own the Aurora LN, while capable for what it does, I have been thinking that something a little more fight worthy might be nice.

So what have you guys flown and how do you find them? I was looking at the avenger or maybe the 325A. thoughts?
    sigpic

Re: Next ship to purchase...

I'd say at this stage you have two choices. Either pick the style of ship you want based on its flavor text, or wait a while until the ships are a bit more finalized.

Reason being, the ships are going to change. Probably quite a bit at this stage. And the game mechanics will change, which will also change how ships compare. For example, the Hornet is currently light-years ahead of the other ships in dogfighting because it has 4 gimbaled weapon mounts, and the fixed mounts on the other ships are difficult to use right now. So *right now* the Hornet is pretty much the only competitive fighting ship. Next month? Probably not.

Ship stats, both hard and soft, are going to change a lot, for balance and other reasons. This is a certainty. What they have promised is that they will do their best to keep the ships true to their in-fiction roles. So... basically I'd say take the ship you like the sound of and don't worry too much about what they're like in-game for now?

Just my two cents. Most of us here probably only have one (maybe two) ships to fly anyway, so it's kind of hard for us to say how different they might be from your Aurora as we might not have flown one.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Well, I liked the story of the Avenger, but it lacks a jump drive. It has a nice cockpit and if you like your sensors showing up on displays rather than the usual display HUD, then go for that. Story being that it was a former military fighter replaced by the Hornet. It then entered service as a police ship, which in turn entered the public market. It is lighter than the 300 series and can hold more cargo.

If you want a fast little ship that does have a jump engine, scanners, and a tractor beam, then go for a 315p. Expect that you might want to alter the base weapon configuration. The 300 series seems to trade survivability for speed and sleekness. It is unclear as to how things will turn out as the ships become more refined.

The Cutlass is something that looks interesting and may or may not be hard to fly. This thing has a pilot and RIO seat. It also has a gunner chair and can be accessed in the cargo area behind the closed/ sealed cockpit. It has a number of attatchments, but lacks a jump drive. Inside the cargo hold, it has the appearance of a transport chopper/ cargo plane. It has a toilet... There is a docking hatch and a tractor beam, which supports the implications of having a decent cargo capacity.

The Hornet has little or no cargo options. There is the option to buy a carry-all unit for the Hornet, but little information is available for that... There are a number of different version of the Hornet and many are based off of possible uses. It is unclear as to how effective the different variants will be during battle. Slow and tank like presently. No cargo space and is roughly the same cost as a Hornet.
      Last edited by BeSiege82; 09-19-2014, 10:06 AM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I don't believe the Avenger was ever a military frontline ship, however it was used as military trainer craft and it was also used extensively by the Advocacy and police forces. So it's spiritually kind of a cross between a BAE Hawk and a used Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Package, if that makes any sense at all.

Also, I wouldn't take it at face value when it says that the Avenger weighs less than the 300i. The ship stats are very fluid, and the Avenger, despite being slightly smaller dimensionally, is a much chunkier spacecraft and I expect it to weigh significantly more than the 300i when it becomes available.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Avenger. I like the backstory, I like the style, and I like its jack-of-all-trades style. It'll have a decent weapon loadout, which will supposedly be focused around one very large gimballed weapon, and it is supposed to be a very fast ship in a straight line. (Hey, they used it to chase down criminals) Based on its size and purpose I'd expect it to be a bit less maneuverable but also a fair bit tougher than the 300i, which sits in the same price range. If my initial pledge hadn't been for a Freelancer (the Avenger wasn't yet known) it probably would have been for the Avenger.

It all depends on what YOU want though. If you're looking for a dedicated dogfighter, the Hornet or maybe the Aegis Gladius (if it goes back on sale) will probably be the best thing available before release. The Hornet is a heavy fighter, packing a much bigger punch and a tougher frame, while the Gladius is an older light fighter/interceptor which should be exceptionally fast and maneuverable. The Origin 325a should be a decent choice too.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Here is where fanboys and people who read too much get into things... the background info on the Avenger was changed when they released the article in the jump point magazine...

Now, the big problem is knowing when they will release some of them... The other option is to wait for the Mustang to come out. It is a light fighter starter ship and should be convertible from your aurora package.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Thanks for the good replies guys. You both bring up some good points and I think I will need to do some more reading about the ships.

I do know that I liked the Aurora initially because of the price point and wanting to get in on the game without having to spend too much and then follow up with another ship. I get how eveything is going to change as the game progresses (which is great). I'm thinking something with a jump drive and good fight capabilities. As I am hoping to be taking part as a member of the Black Flag Group, speed and the ability to jump out of a system are probably a good thing.

Maybe I'll hold on to my money for a little longer, back to reading for now......
            sigpic

Comment

Though one thing that hasn't been brought up is that even though ships like the avenger don't start our with a jump drive that doesn't mean it can't have one. There are very few ships that can't support a jump drive the only one currently being the Merlin.

Like the others have said however pledging for a ship comes down to two things. Willingness to contribute to the game and personal preference. Is say set yourself an overall limit to how much you're willing to spend on the game. Then think about how you want to start your life in the verse. Whether racer, explorer, ect. Then look at ships that fit that role. Then pick the one that you want to giggle from awesomeness the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddler View Post
                There are very few ships that can't support a jump drive the only one currently being the Merlin.
                The M50 will not support a jump drive as per what Chris Roberts said during "10 for the Chairman". If your ship does not have a jump drive you can get it transported to another location.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Really? Probably changed since I last researched the subject then. Though got a quote or URL?

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddler View Post
                    Really? Probably changed since I last researched the subject then. Though got a quote or URL?
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7GB...t8sChjbU3SsDeM

10:25 is where the question is asked.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

I thought that was in reference to moving hangars and getting your ship replaced.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X