method of flying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• method of flying

Guys, I would like to hear from you about what you use for flying in the dog fighting module (Arena Commander). Can you give some feed back?

I personally use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and it serves me well. I prefer it over the controller and mouse/ keyboard combo.

Oculus is crazy with it. You need a stick if you have an oculus.
    Last edited by BeSiege82; 11-18-2014, 09:33 PM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: method of flying

Using a saitech ST290 pro, its pretty old. I use it with voice attack and keyboard. It does ok for now but I do plan on getting the x55. Future toys will be rudder pedals + Oculus.

Comment

Microsoft Sidewinder pro, and voice attack commands, planning on getting a new joy stick closer to full release
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Mouse and keyboard. Logitech G700S and a Logitech G110 respectively. No dosh for new controllers, flight sticks, or even a TrackIR (or similar product). Wish I had the room so I can put up two more monitors (downsides of living at home).

Want to use this voice attack software you guys keep raving about, but unsure if I should spend the cash on it if they are implementing something similar into the game in the future. Anyone know if they are or is it just rumor right now?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Flapping my arms really hard! lol!

Logitech F710.....starting to hate it though. Not because it is a controller, but because Logitech has lousy support for it. They don't have a real driver, had to hijack the XBOX 360 controller driver, and there is all kinds of issues. Thinking about getting the X52 PRO.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
          [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
          [support]

Comment

@Acreo Voice attack is well worth it IMO, even if not using it for SC. I use mine for all my rts that have a thousand hotkeys, Games like COH and WIC, also set up to work all my music and such while I am playing, a great deal for only 8 bucks. If you want to really get into it you can give your PC a personality of your own creation, its awsome I think. Try the free 30 day trial, you will probably end up loving it.

Comment

I just took a (brief) look at the X55, X52 Pro, and regular X52. My initial thought was that the X55 was the coolest looking of the three, and at the highest price, I figured it was probably "better."

Now, I have by no means done proper thorough research yet, but from a brief scan of comments (sorted by "most helpful" on NewEgg only) it seems the X55 might not be all I thought it was initially. But again, I have no hands on experience with any of these, and it was a very brief look.

At any rate, this is a good thread and I want to continue the discussion. I think many of us are considering purchasing some kind of HOTAS setup for SC. In fact I think many people are. I just had a random thought; joystick makers must love Chris Roberts as I'm sure they are (or will be) seeing an uptick in sales because of Star Citizen. haha

Let me pose this question though: are you guys going HOTAS for immersion and/or cool factor, or because you think it makes you more effective / better as a pilot?
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, same as Siege, with keyboard. I have TrackIR and while it is awesome, I find it a nuisance to wear so don't use it.

Randy, I use the joystick because, since they added the ESP system which made it easier to aim with a joystick, I feel I am at least as effective, if not more effective than when I am using a mouse.

And also because it's cool, and just feels right. Everything being equal, I prefer to use joystick, but in previous releases it wasn't really competitive.

The joystick always gave better control over your movement, (because of the large dead zone with the mouse where the weapons gimbal but the ship does not turn) but in the previous versions it was much, much easier to aim with the mouse (with gimballed weapons). Now that joystick aiming is more effective, I can effectively employ both fixed and gimballed weapons at once (You can usually only get one one target with the mouse). In other words, all other things being equal, a ship with both fixed and gimballed weapons will be able to use more of its firepower at once.

Because you are pointing the whole ship with the joystick (effectively your gimballed weapons are acting as fixed weapons), your ship is leading your target more than if you were leading with the weapon gimbals, and I find this makes it easier to keep targets in sight.

The biggest problem I have noticed is that it CAN make it more challenging to avoid collision. With the mouse-aim and gimballed weapons, you were rarely travelling directly at your target, because your gimballed weapons were usually firing off-bore to come degree. With the joystick and fixed weapons, when you are aiming at a target you are always on a collision course unless you apply some manner of strafe.

As a tradeoff, it's still easier to do precision aiming with gimballed weapons with the mouse. There's just nothing that can compete with the precision of a mouse, though the new ESP system seems to make the joysticks competitive.

CIG recently posted some data from Arena Commander that showed that joystick users have the highest average K/D ratio and highest accuracy of any control type (mouse/joy/gamepad). Now, I'm willing to bet a good portion of that is due to the people who own and use joysticks tending to be a little more hardcore, and a little more experienced in flight/combat sims. Still, it shows that joystick is at least competitive, and perhaps the objectively best control type in the current release.

Data here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...V0921-Released
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

As a note to consider for Strait Raider, there is a mode that allows ambidextrous pilots to use the joystick for everything other than gimballed weapons. The gimballed weapons are able to be controlled by the mouse. This apparently allows you to fire at two different targets are the same time.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I was watching some videos on 6DoF setups, reading on reddit, and a thought hit me. If one wanted to fly as close to full Newtonian as possible, how/what is a good way to setup your controls? Given you had the ability to buy/build the ideal setup. What aircraft flies in a very similar fashion as a craft in space? Helicopters. They can move forward/backwards, strafe left/right, up/down, and do several of these at the same time. If one could emulate pedals, cyclic, and collective controls, I wonder if this would make flying in space easier.

The collective controls throttle, and climb/decent rate. Twist the throttle and increase or decrease relative velocity. Move collective up or down, translate into the corresponding direction. If one were using a second stick to act as a collective, the could use the pitch axis as up/down, and roll axis as lateral movement.

Use rudders for yaw, some pedals also allow toeing the pedal has one function while heeling the pedal has a separate function. Not sure how well it would work, just using my imagination here, but heeling could give left/right strafe and toeing would give left/right yaw. Or this could be used for straightline movement or coupled flight as throttle brake. Maybe both, if the stick has multiple modes.

The cyclic would be used for roll and pitch control, standard flight model. No surprises here.

Let me know what you think about it. Am almost wondering if moving the secondary stick to a collective style position would assist the brain into better utilizing the control ability.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

I use a Saitek X52 (and Rudder pedals, but I don't always bother with them) and the TrackIR 3-Pro (TrackClip PRO) for all my flying game setups. I used to use something like Voice attack but it's long gone now, so I might check that out as a modern replacement.

I have the TrackClip attached to my headset (mic only) It works really good, and I barely even notice it's there.
                      Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Randy dont let the comments scare you, while there may have been some issues in the first batches I got an X55 for early xmas, and LOVE it my only suggestion is that they should make the pinky roller an actual axis as it is, its a good mouse wheel in arma but havent found much else that works well with it, that said no other hotas on the market has anything like that so there isnt any better IMO

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                        The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Voice attack is still out

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                            Voice attack is still out
                            Yeah I used to use something I think was called Game Commander and then VAC for some flight sims. But Voice Attack now seems to be the one all the "cool kids" are using. :)
                            Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Originally posted by AstroCat View Post
                              Yeah I used to use something I think was called Game Commander and then VAC for some flight sims. But Voice Attack now seems to be the one all the "cool kids" are using. :)
                              Learning to do everything by hand. Voice attack may become obsolete or broken, so I find it better to use the controls we have until a better build of the pu.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X