Getting Started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started

One thing that has deterred me for some time from picking this game up is the lack of direction in how to do so.

I see all the different packages I can buy, but I don't see one definitive option that says "this is the bare minimum. Pay this and you get the game with no major perks." Make sense?

Does anyone know specifically what I need to buy to get access to the game (all the modules?) and not the super special ships and mega fun time package?

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: Getting Started

On the pledge page, there are three sections. "Packages", "Ships" and "Extras".

I agree it should be more noticeable, but above the "Packages" section it says "a game package is required to play Star Citizen".

What is NOT readily apparent is that the cheapest package (The 30$ Aurora MR) does not include beta access. (Though it says this on the item description)

All other packages (I believe) have beta access. However, that does NOT mean that they have access to the current alpha dogfighting module. THAT requires a 5$ add-on for all packages EXCEPT for the $45 "Arena Commander Starter Package" (which is just a 5$ more expensive Aurora MR package, the cheapest package with beta access).

Long story short, you can buy the (finished) game with the 30$ package, beta access with the 40$ package, and beta + arena commander access (what you need to start playing NOW) with the 45$ package.

HOWEVER

If nothing has changed in the plan, I believe you will still have to buy additional 5$ passes to get into the alphas of the later modules (first person shooter, persistent universe, etc.).

In short, you might be looking at around 60$ final cost to play along with the alpha builds at every stage.

Though I suppose that might still be considered a bargain, given that AAA releases are 70$ now, and most only offer a 10% perorder bonus with no alpha/beta access.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Here is the Arena Commander Starter Package for $45. A no frills package that gets you into the Arena Commander and gives you the ship and hangar. Consider this as the cheapest new car on the market and meets your requirements.
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...mander-Starter

Here is a slightly upgraded version that is at the same price but requires the purchase of the Arena Commander pass and any passes in the future. So basically for $45 you get one with 2 extra guns and built in missiles and you add $5 for the Arena Commander pass. Many people who decide to get an Aurora buy these models since the insurance will make sure the extra upgrades over the MR remain on the ship if they ever need to get a replacement ship while the insurance is functioning.
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...ages/Aurora-LN

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

So.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but as it stands, I can only mess around with Hangar and dog fight, right?

I'm assuming any other real game play can't be active without persistent universe.

Also...

I'm running i5-3570k with:

Review: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti OC - Graphics - HEXUS.net

8 gigs of RAM at 1666. PC isn't omg epic, but it runs everything but BF4 on ultimate.

What kind of performance am I looking at with Star Citizen?

Mom
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Your probably just fine and dandy at Medium. It can eat computers when on high and ultra. You will want to upgrade your ram just to be on the safe side.

Right now, the hangar and dog fighting modules are the only available options for you to play. In a few months the first person shooter side will come out. Then you can dog fight in the Arena Commander, shoot each other in the FPS module, and run around in your hangar.

Hmmmm... your performance will be crap in the hangar as the hangar is very unoptimized. Don't worry, but performance in space is a lot better. Dog fighting runs fine on low for people with first gen Dx11, so yours will be just fine.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

You meet all the minimum specs, but not by a whole lot. I don't feel comfortable saying for sure whether you'll be able to play at reasonable framerates or not for the future, although the game SHOULD become better optimized over time.

Keep in mind that regardless of your raw power, Star Citizen always requires a DX11 card (which you have) and and a 64-bit OS.

Going by the data here for the current Arena Commander, which seems to roughly agree with the results I get with my setup...

Star Citizen GPU Test: A GTX750 Could Give You 30FPS At Max Setting, 1080p - Star Citizen - newmmos - 2P.com

Your CPU should be fine to push over 60 fps, your GPU will be your limiting factor.

A 750 Ti gave these guys an average of 34 fps in 1080p at very high settings. From the looks of things you should be fine to run near-60 fps once you turn the graphics down a bit.

Since I haven't seen any massive rage threads, I'm assuming 8gb ram is still fine. Heck, the hangar module ran fine for people with 4gb ram. Worst-case scenario, RAM is dirt cheap these days.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Yeah, I think you'll be fine with 8gb, and a lot is not optimized as its an alpha, It'll all run better in time. Those flashy textures.....:p
              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

So... this is where I am with Star Citizen...

I like the idea, but I don't understand the delivery. I'm used to the concept of Eve Online. I pay my money, and I get access to everything in the game. Obviously, I don't get that yet, but... let's assume for a sec that it's 2016 and SC has released. Do I get to develop blueprints in the game to get new ships? Am I going to space engineers my new ships? Or do I have to drop dollar bills on the devs to get new ships? I'm 100,000% interested in working for what I get in game, and not being limited by how much money I spend. I'm about .01% interested in paying for epic stuff with real money in a game environment. I'm pretty sure everyone and Roberts knows that making people pay money for ships in the game is likely the worst mistake that has ever been considered in the reality we live in.

I want to build two PCs for my son and I to pick this up in 2016, assuming it goes as far as they are saying they're going to take it. But, I need to know ahead of time if the direction they are going is "buy the game, work for the stuff" not "buy the game, buy the stuff".

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the end result here for what they are trying to make. I see persistent universe. I see being able to penetrate the atmosphere of a planet and Bob the Meth Dealer all over town... but is there going to be a crafting system? Can I conglomerate a ship building empire? Or... am I limited by how much money I spend? I'm already disappointed that I have the option to drop a grand to get epic stuff in game, but I'm holding out hope that this is just a funding venture rather than an integral part of the full game concept.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Well,

1) Everything will be available to find or earn in-game. Ships, weapons, the "flair items" given to subscribers, it'll all be earnable without extra spending.

2) Additionally, many things (supposedly most of the high-tier and all of the unique stuff) will not be purchasable at all, and must be found/earned in-game. I suppose though, there's bound to be a player market for such things.

3) There will be no subscription fee.

4) The current plan is to have the ability to purchase a limited amount of in-game credits. Currently you can buy up to 25,000 UEC (25$) per day and are not able to purchase if you have 150,000 (150$) or more in your account. (subject to change based on balance)

I'm not really a fan of the plan to allow people to purchase extra credits in-game, but at the end of the day you will be able to earn it all in-game anyway. I suppose I'd rather this than a subscription system/PLEX/whatever.

I mean, this is CIG. They are a band of industry vets, with no publisher breathing down their neck for more profits. I guess I trust that they won't screw this up too badly.

Of course, there's always the option of waiting. Things should get more clear the closer we get to a persistent universe alpha.

Comment

[MENTION=56359]YerMom[/MENTION]

Also, if you buy a package now, you do get "BETA ACCESS" which is to say that when the testing of the Persistant Universe is released, you will have access to it and all of the other modules combined.

The benefit of buying a package now is that you can also get into the other modules early by paying a $5 fee to enter the module of your choice.

Comment

That's a lot clearer.

I think I'm more inclined to wait. Especially since my son is only turning 5 this year. My wife disagrees, but I'm pretty positive that he's going to wreck people by the time he's 6. Lol.

So, we'll see. If I do get a copy, I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for all the input.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

[MENTION=56359]YerMom[/MENTION]

If we hear anything about them closing down the option to buy "Beta Access" we will let you know.

Comment

That'd be great. Thanks.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...