Getting started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started

I have so many questions about this game that combined with my ADHD, I end up thinking in circles. So, please bear with me as I list them and may end up changing this as I remember to add more information or questions.

First off, is my system enough to run this.
    OS Win 7 64bit
    CPU Intel i5-2500k. It has a slight OC, but nothing crazy.
    MOBO Asus ROG Maximus IV GENE-Z
    RAM 2x4GB DDR3 RAM
    GPU ASUS GTX 760 2GB
    Monitor Asus VN247 @1920x1080
    Storage HyperX 120GB SSD
    Samsung PM830 256GB SSD
    WD 1TB HHD
    Control Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
    G700 mouse, G15 keyboard

Second big question is how are you controlling the ability to look around from the cockpit? Any profiles for the joystick? Is anyone using the ROCCAT power grid? Advice on Track-IR?

The last one that I can think of is a starting ship. ATM my budget for games is limited to under $70 USD. I am bouncing between an Aurora variant, or an Origin 315P. If I get a ship package, is there anything else that I would need to purchase?

Alright, lay it on me. I am very interested in getting into the game.

|TG-IRR|

Re: Getting started

I think your system is fine.
    Maybe a bit low on RAM but it should suffice.
    Ship wise an Aurora LN is a pretty good way to get into the game if you don't fancy the new Mustangs.
    The Aurora is slower but sturdier and can carry cargo and missiles while the Mustang is faster and has slightly more guns but is fragile and get no cargo or missiles besides the Alpha (tiny cargo) or Delta (Missiles) variants.
    The Aurora LN variant has as many guns as the Mustang and will eventually even be able to carry bigger guns than the Mustang.
    All these ship stats are obviously prone to change however.

Comment

Looking around in your ship really just matters with what device you are using to play with. Mouse and keyboard it is hit TAB then mouse controls, also you can lock your view onto targets you have selected. Joy... I think it is the hat or what ever you program, then of course there is trackIR and the oculist rift. This is a very impressive game even at it's very early state, it is breaking records all over the board and are reinventing the wheel on many fronts in this P.U. (persistant universe) being created.

Comment

According to these Russian testers, your GPU will be your bottleneck, your CPU should be fine to push over 60 fps even at very high settings.

http://2p.com/9647554_1/Star-Citizen...-Blake-Lau.htm

Your GPU gets 4 fps less than mine on very high settings at 1080p. You'll probably need to turn graphics down to medium or low like I do in order to get smooth gameplay.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I recommend a Mustang variety over the aurora, as the Mustangs can actually defend themselves to some extent, and is fast enough to run when out gunned. The mustang's will be able to have cargo pods, at least the alpha, and delta, which will give them as much as cargo capacity as any of the aurora varients, save the CL.

The good news is, you can always melt whatever you get, and use the store credit to try out the others. As of right now, it's free to switch between the aurora mr and the mustang alpha. So you can try out both.
          Murray

Comment

Originally posted by Beinseth View Post
            I have so many questions about this game that combined with my ADHD, I end up thinking in circles. So, please bear with me as I list them and may end up changing this as I remember to add more information or questions.

First off, is my system enough to run this.
            OS Win 7 64bit
            CPU Intel i5-2500k. It has a slight OC, but nothing crazy.
            MOBO Asus ROG Maximus IV GENE-Z
            RAM 2x4GB DDR3 RAM
            GPU ASUS GTX 760 2GB
            Monitor Asus VN247 @1920x1080
            Storage HyperX 120GB SSD
            Samsung PM830 256GB SSD
            WD 1TB HHD
            Control Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
            G700 mouse, G15 keyboard

Second big question is how are you controlling the ability to look around from the cockpit? Any profiles for the joystick? Is anyone using the ROCCAT power grid? Advice on Track-IR?

The last one that I can think of is a starting ship. ATM my budget for games is limited to under $70 USD. I am bouncing between an Aurora variant, or an Origin 315P. If I get a ship package, is there anything else that I would need to purchase?

Alright, lay it on me. I am very interested in getting into the game.
            your system is fine. The minimum ram has been met.

I suggest you look into the Mustang Beta as it comes with a jump drive and allow for 2 more weapons to be mounted in the future. The Mustang Beta package is $55. There is the option of the 315p, but the Mustang Beta saves some money, has a few extra hard points and doesn't come with missiles. Make sure you buy a package as that is how you get into the Beta. If you want to get into the modules, you have to spend $5 per module you wish to enter. (The alpha access closed a year ago--feel free to ask how that works.)

I have no idea how to set up Track-IR, and Oculus Rift needs more work. I never did get the oculus to work quite right. There are a couple different joystick configurations available in game based off of some of the most common joystick/ HOTAS offerings currently available. You can custom configure your hotkeys, if you prefer.

Track IR and Oculus can control view and so can the TAB button. It is difficult to answer you about controlling view via the stick as I have not tried anything beyond the 'change camera' button.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

A couple more ideas for which ship to start with:

If you pick either the Aurora MR or Mustang Alpha, you can use a free cross-chassis upgrade to switch and try both of them out before you settle on one.

And you could later upgrade to one of the better Auroras/Mustangs per this chart:

Or, for the same price as the Origin 315p you could get an Aegis Dynamics Avenger.

You could think of the 315p as a BMW 1 Series, and the Avenger as a Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor. Maybe not as quick around a track, but tougher and with more room for bodies in the back.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                A couple more ideas for which ship to start with:

If you pick either the Aurora MR or Mustang Alpha, you can use a free cross-chassis upgrade to switch and try both of them out before you settle on one.

And you could later upgrade to one of the better Auroras/Mustangs per this chart:

Or, for the same price as the Origin 315p you could get an Aegis Dynamics Avenger.

You could think of the 315p as a BMW 1 Series, and the Avenger as a Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor. Maybe not as quick around a track, but tougher and with more room for bodies in the back.
                Negative, the Avenger is 220, which is as I recall the same speed as the 300 series.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                  Negative, the Avenger is 220, which is as I recall the same speed as the 300 series.
                  It was always supposed to be fast in a straight line, it IS an ex-police vehicle that had to chase people down, and it mounts a massive engine.

Around a track though, its size and turn speed should make it the inferior racer, even if it is currently turning very fast.

(Personally I think all ships need to be toned down a bit with respect to rotation speeds, it's basically impossible to break any skilled pilot's aim, even in a big heavy Hornet)

Comment

Thanks for all of the input guys. It has been very enlightening. I think at the moment I will be getting the Mustang Beta package after the first of the year. This seems like it will be a good ship to practice flight manuevers and get used to just flying and fighting. Maybe doen the line we can start up some TGU classes on flight and combat.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

I traded in my Aurora ES package and some cash for a Mustang B package, cuz the Aurora is just butt ugly. I can't fly either one but that's beside the point.

Comment

Chief, (by the way, what SS classes did you serve on, 688's and Ohios for me.) I really like the Beta, it's like a pop up camper with an interstellar jump drive. Can't go wrong with that, plus the added weapon mounts give it some real teeth!
                        Murray

Comment

No subs for me. Surface Force all the way, ships that stayed above the water. Boatswain's Mate Chief (ret)

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
                            Chief, (by the way, what SS classes did you serve on, 688's and Ohios for me.) I really like the Beta, it's like a pop up camper with an interstellar jump drive. Can't go wrong with that, plus the added weapon mounts give it some real teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                              No subs for me. Surface Force all the way, ships that stayed above the water. Boatswain's Mate Chief (ret)
                              Cool, we will have a proper Boatswain to pipe calls. :)

I bet the UEE Navy still does them, even though there is no sound in space. Because the Navy loves them some tradition.
                              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X