X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Beginner's Guide to Star Citizen

Beginner's Guide to Star Citizen

Last Updated: 1/19/2015

This guide will attempt to answer some common questions posed by new players to Star Citizen. This will cover current game packages, modules, and payment structures. All prices are in USD unless otherwise stated. There will be some extended Questions and Answers following the guide.

Game Packages

In this early developmental stage of the game, you will need to purchase a game package in order to play. Let's start with the least expensive of the ones currently available...

Currently the least expensive starter package is: Aurora ES ($35). This package includes the base model Aurora starship: the Aurora ES. This is a very basic ship and may be mothballed by some who make a regular commitment to join a crew. Crewed ships currently only allow a single occupant. This is slated to change in the upcoming Arena Commander 2.0 release (expected Q2/Q3 2015). In order to access this, you will need to purchase the additional Arena Commander Module ($5). Arena Commander 2.0 will bring with it many of the larger ships as well as allowing players to explore and crew their multi-person ships as they please. Players will be able to use the new friend system and join off of the friends that they are following.

Two examples of starter ships that would be worth consideration are: A) the Aurora LX and B) the Mustang Beta. The Mustang Beta is a versatile starter ship with jump drive capabilities and more advance weapon configurations.

Aurora LX

This is the Aurora LX, which is a limited edition Aurora that is minimally different from the standard model. Presently, this series has a functional interactive cockpit HUD, rather than the helmet HUD. It is slow and sort of looks like a brick and a light bulb.

Mustang Beta

Below is a flight test of the Mustang Beta. The Mustang series, though more expensive than the Aurora, is more likely to keep you alive if you need to escape from danger or fight your way out of a tough situation. The package price is about $55 plus the $5 access pass.

Arena Commander Module

Arena Commander is an early playable showcase of the game and includes some basic modes of play and a growing number of ships. It is essentially a flight simulator for players to try out Star Citizen as the developers continue working on the game. This is where you learn how to fly and train for ship-to-ship battle. In some cases, these battles are simply single seat ships fighting players or AI, while other cases will eventually be multicrew ships fighting against enemies. Multicrew ships will have positions ranging from communications, engineering, navigation, to various weapon systems. These systems are being made more and more critical as they alter the functionality of the ships. It is evident in the recent patch where players can witness the signature implementation which is used to detect and target other ships. I will display the early implementation of the HUD system in the Aurora. It appears that soon we will be able to paint our ships, though when or how is still up in the air.

First Person Shooter Module

Not much is known about this module, but what is known indicates that they are putting in a lot of effort into realism. What has been made known is that gravity, physics, and medical attention is important. In attempts to make things more dangerous for players is to have the player experience persistent physical repercussions. To better explain that, consider the possibility of having your hand literally blown off during a shootout at a space station, you will need to escape and have it replaced with an artificial hand. This also means that if you have your arm or leg blown off, you would need immediate medical attention to stop the bleeding and then you would need to be transported to a hospital or the nearest decent med-bay. It has been indicated that people will be able to apply medical attention to other players and to drag them back to ships. Consider the FPS module as a simulator for practicing ship raiding and ship capturing procedures. The shooter aspect of Star Citizen will take place in space, in space stations, on planets, and inside ships. Space battles will definitely be a part of the experience, so breaking into another ship and attempting to capture it will be part of the game.

Below are some useful articles.
    Comm Link: Death of a Spaceman
    Comm Link: Design Healing Your Spacemen

Planetside Module

Little is known about this module beyond that it will be showing what a planet will look like and how they will function. This module may be a type of social experience for different players to interact with others and where they will implement systems such as the mobi-glass, which is a type of wearable interface. This module will be a testing ground and will eventually be assimilated into the game.

Squadron 42

This includes Star Citizen's single player and cooperative campaign where players follow the story line of a pilot in the UEE Navy. This will involve many missions that will release of an extended period of time. I get the same vibe that ArmA 3 had with their release of the campaign missions. Not much is known presently about Squadron 42, but Chris Roberts' brother is running the studio responsible for the campaign.

Persistent Universe

This is the system in which players will digitally live and play. Ships, planets, AI, and astronomical phenomenon all exist here. People will have the chance to live with their friends in the larger ships or base their operations out of a hanger set up on a specific planet or in a specific system. This will be the first chance to truly see the modules become integrated and functional. During the time of the Beta Persistent Universe, the game will be continuously added to and most of the additions will come in the form of solar systems, AIs, factions, and other large scale projects. We will probably see the addition of the large scale player run capital ships in this module.

Payment Structure

Note: There are some confusing items available at Star Citizen's website. We will attempt to explain the system.

Alpha

Alpha Access was a type of access package that was available up until late 2013. This package type allowed players to back Star Citizen with a ship and obtain access to all of the module without the need to pay an entrance fee to the module of their choosing. This essentially allowed players to ensure a copy of the game and continued access to the game as it continues through development.

Beta

Beta Access is currently available and allows player the opportunity to play the Persistent Universe when that is released sometime between December 2015 and 2016. The Beta does not give access to the different modules that will become available prior to the release of the Persistent Universe. In order to gain access to the previously free modules, you must pay a $5 access fee per desired module. The Beta is, according to current information, going to give access to the modules to all players with Beta package types once the Persistent Universe is released. This means, that if a player does not wish to participate in the modules such as the Arena Commander or First Person Shooter module, they can wait until the Persistent Universe module is released. You will only be saving money if you are willing to wait.

Access Pass

This is a fee to gain access to a module during their early development period. As players were angry that the alpha access package type was being removed, a solution to both give new players access to multiplayer modules and obtain more funding was agreed upon. Players that wish to gain access to a multiplayer module early could pay a $5 fee that would go towards upgrade costs for the servers. This was the apparent reasoning for the $5 access fee, as for the reality of Beta package owners, they must pay a $5 fee to enter each multiplayer module. This does not influence the campaign as the campaign comes standard with the package.

Source: Arena Pass

Star Citizen: A Traditional Paid-For Game

Star Citizen will not involve any subscription fees and it will not be a pay-to-win (aka freemium) game. It currently has a cult-like following spawned because of backers purchasing various in-game ships with real currency (called Pledges). This ship-buying behavior is funding the giant funding goals held by CIG. Once the game is released, based on current information, it will not be possible to buy Star Citizen ships from the internet with real US currency. Players will then be only be able to purchase ships using the in-game currency and by earning such currency through playing the game. This is to prevent certain ships from flooding the market after the game begins. Players will only be able to buy the game with a starting ship (Mustang, Aurora, ecetera) and a small starting amount of currency.

You can purchase ships, weapons, and other items off of Star Citizen's website, but ultimately, none of the items there are required to play beyond a game package and eventual module pass.

To read more about pledge packages and how much they might cost, see the official Pledge page. You can also check out the additional items you can purchase for your pledge ship(s) on the official Voyager Direct page.

Unsure as to Whether or Not to Pledge Now?

If you are uncertain as to whether you should pledge and purchase module passes, wait until the Persistent Universe comes out when the majority of the game's aspects become available. If you are interested in accessing certain parts of the game earlier than the Persistent Universe, then purchase an early access pass/module pass for the portion of the game you wish to test.

Interested in Being a Crew Member?

If you are really interested in being a crew member, then the suggestions from experienced backers are as follows:

1) Wait on purchasing an access pass until Arena Commander 2.0 comes out with proper multicrew ships. This will allow you to see TG member's assessment and recordings of our time operating larger ships. Since this is the role you seem to desire, then watching our early attempts would probably be very helpful.

2) Wait until the Persistent Universe comes out and you will have a chance to learn how to become part of the crew.

Now, please consider this, many of the people who put money in this project have done so because they desire and wish for this project to succeed. They are backers and are in a sense gambling on their faith or hope that the game will be produced. If you wish to back out and regain your $35, there are ways to do so, though they are somewhat frowned upon by CIG.

Question and Answers

(will add some in here later)

We imagine there are some questions after reading this. We are more than happy and willing to hear them. In the future, if you have questions and feel free to ask below.

Credits

Original Authors: [MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION], [MENTION=33568]Randy_Shughart_ClwFL[/MENTION]
    Editor: [MENTION=13034]Acreo Aeneas[/MENTION]
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-23-2015, 02:28 PM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: [WIP] [Placeholder] General Questions & Answers

Eta?

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I have a barebones right now. I need to expand it.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

And I've been busy with work, looking for a place, and getting ready to move.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's up. I'm slowly going through it and editing it. Might not finish tonight, so I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

Edit 1: Since the format given to me reads more like a guide, I've started editing it so it reads like one. I've taken the liberty of including a section for a more extensive list of other questions and answers. I'll probably pull from the other "Possible Questions for Q&A" thread as that grows with time.
          Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-20-2015, 12:13 AM.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Re: Beginner's Guide to Star Citizen

Nice work guys, need a couple stills maybe, things like ship comparison that relate to size and function. Then of course some footage of TG being TG as soon as they get the lobby system working right.

Comment

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Oh wow. Where did you find that beauty shot? I'm going to work that into the guide somehow. Great relative size comparisons.

I want that 890 JUMP even more now. It is big...so very big.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  Oh wow. Where did you find that beauty shot? I'm going to work that into the guide somehow. Great relative size comparisons.

I want that 890 JUMP even more now. It is big...so very big.
                  Here's a newer one with the Carrack, Redeemer, Gladiator, Herald and what seems to be an even smaller snubfighter. The Carrack's scout ship?
                  http://i.imgur.com/UGOgaHt.jpg

Comment

Man, I feel like I should have gotten the Carrack. That thing is like 20x the size of my Redeemer.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nice job with the guide!
                      [MENTION=100133]Fenster[/MENTION], do they have both snub fighters in that diagram? I think I see the merlin but i'm not sure what the one to the left and back of the merlin. I assume that is the Carrack's one, but I haven't seen any details yet.

I just want to walk around in the Carrack. The bridge was already super nice looking in the art.
                      Medicine and Gaming...good form of stress relief and improves mental faculties. I suggest it to all of my patients.

Comment

Originally posted by dltprm View Post
                        Nice job with the guide!
                        [MENTION=100133]Fenster[/MENTION], do they have both snub fighters in that diagram? I think I see the merlin but i'm not sure what the one to the left and back of the merlin. I assume that is the Carrack's one, but I haven't seen any details yet.

I just want to walk around in the Carrack. The bridge was already super nice looking in the art.
                        @dltptm
                        Are you planning to join us in the space battles?

by the way, as one of the people behind the write up, thanks.

Comment

I'll join you guys at some point. I'm relatively active at the moment but I'll be back in the hospitals in a few weeks so my presence will fall down to checking in the forums whenever I have free time (which at "80" hours a week of work is pretty much nil).

Once the PU starts rolling out / I get my life back, I'll probably hook up with one of the TG groups if you guys need / want a medic. Though if they get a ship loaning system working I'd be happy to share my ships to help you guys get going even if i'm not around.
                          Medicine and Gaming...good form of stress relief and improves mental faculties. I suggest it to all of my patients.

Comment

[MENTION=57003]dltprm[/MENTION]

medics and any medic ships or ships with medic bays are good

Comment

[MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION]

Well then you're in luck. Carrack, Cutless Red, and probably the Endeavor / Hope class so if you guys need a portable local spawn point I got you covered. ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X