• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS information

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...nces-Breathing

Thoughts?

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Re: FPS information

i think it is really cool. For some reason the outfit that soldier had on looks like something I've seen from a movie.

I think the part about the stances is important. It can help people become more careful in what they are doing. Taking is slow will hopefully be a valuable approach, but that may go out the window as soon as somebody turns off the gravity.

I just hope we don't see people camping corners CSS style.

As for the breathing, I can really only think of the ArmA series and how you can get worn out from running.

Breathing

When we pitched a ‘living, breathing universe,’ we weren’t kidding! Stamina and breathing will be an important part of Star Citizen’s FPS mode, simulated in order to make first person combat a much deeper and more tactical experience than many familiar FPS titles.
    Stamina

Stamina is a resource you will need to manage. Performing actions such as sprinting, vaulting, mounting, climbing and breath control (detailed below) will lower your stamina. Low stamina will have several temporary knock-on effects, such as drastically reduced sprint distance, diminished ability to aim properly, and even a reduced amount of time that breath can be held. This is intended to slow the pace of combat, so that it feels more tactical and reinforces our intention that survival takes consideration, rather than random firing. Actions such as sprinting, jumping, climbing, vaulting and holding breath reduce stamina, while walking slowly (slow regeneration), standing still (faster!), staying behind cover, or aiming without holding breath will regenerate it.

Additionally, your armor and other held equipment will have a direct impact on your stamina consumption. If you are in large heavy armor, then stamina will drain at a much faster rate. If you are wearing light armor, then stamina will go down more slowly and you can run around a bit more. The armor you wear should have little impact on how fast you regain stamina so long as you remain still. This should add a nice choice when you have to sacrifice maneuverability for defense and vice versa! The design team is experimenting with several different options for ‘displaying’ stamina without taking you out of the universe; the current thought is to indicate on the HUD how much stamina is available via a heart rate monitor.

If you have little to no stamina remaining, your character will be breathing very heavily. This will make the bullet spread and sway increase dramatically. This will help prevent you from running around and expecting to be able to fire as accurately while you run. This also will make natural pauses during breathing (after heavy exertion) very short, making accurate fire a lot more difficult. Your helmet will make small changes to the HUD and even your helmet’s glass, depending on the level of stamina. With low stamina from running around, you will breathe heavily, fogging the helmet and further obscuring the view.
    Breathing

We intend to prove that breathing can be an active, interesting part of the FPS experience. Soldiers must control their breathing in order to fire more accurately, so why not simulate that in the game? Firing at the top and bottom of each breath, or holding your breath entirely, are ways soldiers learn to fire their weapons most effectively, so it makes sense to reward players for having the skill and patience to do the same.

Firing at the top and/or bottom of your natural breaths mean that there is (briefly) no movement of the upper chest to move the barrel, making your shots more accurate. Holding your breath is another way which can be used for a longer stabilization time, at the risk of waiting too long and needing to catch your breath — with a resulting loss of stamina, should you hold it too long!

These “natural pauses” during the breathing cycle will only occur while in the Aiming Down Sights stance. There will be a pause at the top and bottom of each breath. During this pause there will be almost no movement to the sights and it will be the best time to fire. We might also tighten the spread of the rounds when firing at these points. (See below picture for the range explanation.)

Breakdown of full stamina breath pattern:
    • 1 Second pauses at the top and bottom of the each breath
    • 2 Seconds to move from the top to the bottom of the breath
    • Left and right sway and up and down limits are dictated by the weapon and attachments’ values
    • Up, down, left and right sway values should be determined by modifiers on the weapon’s sway

Breakdown of no stamina breath pattern:
    • Very short pauses at the top and bottom of each breath, about .2 – .3 seconds
    • Very rapid up and down travel time of about 1 second
    • Left and right sway and up and down limits can have a modifier on top of the base weapon and attachments’ values

• Up, down, left and right values should be determined by modifiers on the weapon’s sway
      Holding your breath is the active part of the breath system. By holding a button, you will hold your breath for a specific amount of time before your character releases the breath for you. The longer you hold your breath, the lower your stamina gets. If you have little to no stamina, then you will not be able to hold your breath very long.

Breakdown of full stamina breath hold:
    • Holding [key] will begin the “hold breath” state
    • Sway is reduced to 0 for the duration
    • You can hold your breath for 10 seconds before needing to release (this action will be involuntary)
    • The release will create sway for 3 seconds, with a modifier making it a bit more extreme
    • After the sway, breathing returns to normal

Breakdown of no stamina breath hold:
    • Holding [key] will begin the “hold breath” state
    • Sway is reduced to 0 for the duration
    • You can hold your breath for 1 second before releasing
    • The release will create sway for 6 seconds, with a modifier making it a bit more extreme
    • After the exaggerated sway, breathing returns to the breath cycle based on current stamina

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

No pun intended but it's actually 'breath taking' how much intelligent thought is going into the small but critical details of the fps element of this incredible game. Color me intrigued and waiting on the sidelines with anticipation!

Comment

Wicks, I plan on playing it for the FPS aspect only. I think we'll have to see how things go, but they have enough money to pull this off, and their warchest grows by day.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Just as a heads up, for those of you who are waiting until the game releases, your first moments in the MMO is as a person and not as a ship owner. So, be ready for the life of a soldier, crew member, or a hired pilot.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I own a ship (on loan from Murray really) but my ambition is to board enemy ships and shoot pilots in the head. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
              No pun intended but it's actually 'breath taking' how much intelligent thought is going into the small but critical details of the fps element of this incredible game. Color me intrigued and waiting on the sidelines with anticipation!
              It's that attention to detail on all aspects of the game that got me really excited about it. Imagine, if one of us were to make a video game. Because that's who Chris Roberts is, someone who loves the games just like we do. It's a completely different paradigm than some big studio cranking out yet another sequel of the same old game, just to make money...
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That is exactly what I an waiting for, the time of the grunts and knuckle draggers. The pilots can have their times of glory but I want to get down and dirty, kick butt and take names.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                  Just as a heads up, for those of you who are waiting until the game releases, your first moments in the MMO is as a person and not as a ship owner. So, be ready for the life of a soldier, crew member, or a hired pilot.
                  Are you sure about that? My understanding was that any purchase of the game included a starter ship.
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

one of the recent videos said this. I am not sure about which one anymore. Clarification will come.

But seriously, I love how much they are really thinking about the implementation of game mechanics. Tactical space sim--I never thought I would hear the day and then to follow that up with possible loss of gravity...

Comment

Might be the case when you buy the game at release.
                      All the pledge packages include ships. The retail version might not.

Comment

I am guessing Siege's comment was referring to Squadron 42, the single player campaign.
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                          I am guessing Siege's comment was referring to Squadron 42, the single player campaign.
                          not quite

Comment

There will be fps pledge packages, according to CR. What exactly those will include, and if you need a ship package to use them is still rather nebulous.

I imagine the packages will start at $10 and go up to $35. I'm thinking some of the fps packs will be add-ons for those of us with ships, and others will be "starter packages" like we have for ships. (The AC ready packages.)

So what I think will happen is thus: if you have a game Package w/ ship, but not alpha, it'll be $5 for the SM pass. If you have nothing, and don't want a ship, but wasn't a SM package it'll likely be $30 - $40 and will likely come with a good kit. All the gear will be rentable with REC which you earn by playing public matches. There is an internal discussion (says Ben,) about whether or not fps gear will be sold on the voyager direct store, no word on this yet.
                            Murray

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X