flight comms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flight comms

So it dawned on me the other night that it is somewhat confusing to call out contact directions to your pilot when flying. Do we want to use naval ship indications or something else? I mean, do we want to consider this as one would consider ships or aircraft?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: flight comms

In most of my sci fi reading the majority of comms are based off naval signals. We should probably agree on one or the other and then add as we find areas where we are missing terms. My thought would be that any contacts call outs would need to be based on the vector the ship is currently on. Which any one that has a seat with a HUD up shoukd be able to tell.

It will be interesting to get this sorted. I'm still getting used to the systems in the ships and I hope they will also help provide some direction as to what is being used in the 'verse.
    sigpic

Comment

Aircraft makes more sense to me

"12 o'clock high" (enemies dead ahead, above the plane of the ship)

"Our 7, low." (enemies rear, slightly to the left, below the plane of the ship)

Archaic, but efficient.

For ships which can maneuver quickly (basically everything in-game right now), brevity is of the essence.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I don't know how one calls out sightings from ships or aircrafts generally but seeing as its space I guess we can create any way the pilot is comfortable with, I would probably do something like: "(dir) 50 minus 60", which would be "half-right, low", or 50 degrees right, 60 degrees down. Pretty much what Strait Raider said now that I think about it. X > Y anyhow.
        - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Comment

Personally I like Strait Raider's system, it seem the most compact way of conveying the information. This works for people in the same ship, but what about calling targets between allied ships?

Now you can't rely on references relative to your own ship's orientation, it means nothing to the other pilot. Depending on the game's level design maybe it would be possible to still use the o'clock system but in terms of a global coordinate system, not relative to your own ship's. Since we're in space that system would be reliant on external landmarks, such as nearby planets , or the "up" of a space station (so far all stations in the game have a clear "up").
          sigpic
          Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

"Enemy ships to space-north, space-bearing 420, 69 space-degrees above the galactic plane!"

For real, as Jester says it will depend on how the game's coordinate system works.

I assume that we will get considerable C3 tools later down the line to allow us to share and ping targets between ships. An effective way to share info directly between HUDs will be far better than any verbal system, and could become a full-time job for someone in a flight. Good use for the RIO position in the Super Hornet.
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I searched and searched YouTube for a video of "DRAEDIS CONTACT! Bearing something something something..." but I could not find one... XD
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think the basic Airforce contact report would be best easy to figure out and to call out. I know its archaic but its known. BUT it only works well for formation flight when all ships are traveling in the same direction, that's the common denominator when 12 oclock is the vector of all ships. Once an engagement occurs all hell breaks loose and there's not much time to call out any thing, each pilot must rely on there T.A.S.S.

Comment

<OffTopic>
                  As someone who's professional and hobby interests involve interfaces and data displays (and a massive BSG fan), the Draedis system always bugged the crap out of me. I know they probably had limited budget being a TV show, but how do you have a "space radar" display with no annotation about the 3rd position axis? Everything doesn't exist on a 2D plane!
                  </OffTopic>

.Ferret. When you say the basic Air Force contact report, are you referring to the o'clock system already mentioned? This maybe too complicated but the coordinate system could anchored by 2 points, the local sun, and the largest landmark in the area. So 12o'clock would point from the local landmark towards the sun. 6o'clock would point from the local landmark away from the sun. Then high or low would be defined by an axis based on the "up" of the local landmark, if it has one. Image below:

sigpic

Comment

I will follow this conversation as having a pair of fixed points does seem logical in determining "up' but still may not always be practical as we don't have gravity to help maintain orientation.
                    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Also, the other problem is that knowing what pole you are looking at when facing a planet is hard.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I see your point Jestermaximus BUT that still leaves the issue LP & BeSiege Pointed out. This is why I think the o'clock system is the the best compromise since the only way ( at this point in Development of the game ) that does not require coming up with and learning a new system. As I pointed out the only time this will be relevant is while in formation.

Comment

Either the O'clock or do we use the old 'off the port-bow' type of terminology? Hmmmmm...

Comment

.Ferret. when you say that the o'clock system, do you mean the system relative to one's own ship?

Either way I think this conversation is a good indicator that C3 capabilities could be a big part of larger battles. Example: a 5 man squad with one dedicated C3 person engages the enemy. Pilot 1 has two enemies following them. The call it out to the C3 and the C3 operator assigns the best wingman to attack one of those enemies. It would be awesome to see that level of coordination. I can't wait!
                            sigpic

Comment

We would need a C&C ship that can disperse the radar information collected from the other ships in a flight. I know of more than just one or two of you who really wants to be part of either communications or C&C.

When I get the video up, I had some fun with Kyle and Troublesome and we went about calling out the hostiles while working together to beat vanduul swarm.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X