Has the Cork Been Unplugged?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the Cork Been Unplugged?

So according to [this article], another disgruntled fan has been refunded his money. I am not one to judge a game this early, and even then the game already looks good to me at this point. Comparing this situation, though, with the other situations like the one involving the "game developer who shall not be named because he sues everybody," is it possible the floodgates have been opened for impatient backers to the point that development might become hamstrung in the future, or is this just a slow trickle that won't effect the end product?

I think this game has great potential, but in this day 'n age of instant gratification and the "I want it now!" generations, along with this legal precedent being set and blasted out for everybody to see, I think there is also potential for this to harm the end product. If everyone holds tight though, this might just make it to the end and we might get a taste of Chris Roberts grand vision for the game. What do you guys think?

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Re: Has the Cork Been Unplugged?

From the linked article:

show some sort of proof that they’ll actually be able to deliver on what they’re promising
    They can't be serious.

Source: Kotaku
    Aah, that explains it. StraightInTheTrash.jpg

Now, that aside, you raise an interesting question. Will this open the flood gates?

I have a couple thoughts. Yes I agree we are living in an instant gratification society / generation. Although I do think a lot of SC backers skew older (like myself and many others here on TG and elsewhere) and are also more patient and know what we are buying into. Also, if someone is that impatient, are they going to go to the trouble to contact the State Attorney, etc.? I would think it would depend how much money they had spent and just how "ripped off" they felt.

Another possibility is that this individual just had buyer's remorse, or maybe his wife is the only one that works and just saw all these pledges he made on their credit card bill. Or maybe he lost his job, or decided (after making his quite large pledge) that other priorities were more important. This is all speculation on my part but who knows what the situation really is, we have no further details right now. In my mind however, how did you come to pledge such a large amount of money if you weren't sure what you were getting into? CR/RSI, etc. have made no bones about the fact that you are making a pledge to support development. Now, as much as a fan of CR and SC as I am, I have only pledged $45 myself as that is the amount I felt comfortable pledging under the terms that were provided (i.e., no guarantees). I have talked to some people who are waiting until the game is "finished" before buying. In today's gaming environment of undelivered promises by too many publishers, I cannot say I blame those people for taking that position. It is their choice to make.

But more back to your point, will this open the flood gates? Hard to say. I think there are quite a lot of people who are die hard supporters, and will support CR almost no matter what. Many people (myself included) understand that this game is very ambitious and if they pull it off will be one of the best video games ever made. But I will admit, even I sometimes wonder if the scope is too ambitious.

Another thing we should remember is that we are witnessing an entirely new paradigm in game development. Instead of answering to a publisher however, CR and Co. will be beholden directly to the fan base / backers. Personally, I much prefer this sort of arrangement. It is much more "direct democracy" if you will. And I think there are many other people who also look at it as I do. But this gets to the crux of your question I think. Basically, how many people will want to jump ship, vs how many stay the course? The more people that want to jump ship will put more pressure on CR and Co. to deliver something sooner. OTOH, I think CR and Co. are quite well aware of what is at stake and they are very very engaged with the backers/community and therefore have their fingers directly on the pulse of the mood of the community (regardless of what outside "news" articles say, many of which have been openly and/or irrationally hostile to the project). So my read on it is that no, we will not see mass defections. But I could be wrong. I hope I am not.

And why do I hope I am not wrong? Because I want to see CR succeed. Because I am tired of seeing the same publishing houses succeed over and over in fleecing people with undelivered promises, rushed releases, nickel and dimeing with DLC, and all the other nonsense that comes along when your priorities are to make profits first, and make a good game second. Because I remember when it used to be the other way around. Not only in gaming but in every area of life. When companies made a good product, they would sell a lot of them. Nowadays we get a lot of garbage, but these greedy companies still expect the same premium prices! It's nothing but profit for them and a lot of marketing BS and empty promises! Or, as applied to gaming, the same thing basically re-released every year or two, with updated graphics, and dumbed down for consoles. Nothing new, nothing cool or exciting, except new profits for the game publisher.

I have said all along that my read is that CR is just a big kid making the game he has always wanted to make, the game he has always wanted to play himself. He says as much in this, the very first video where he pitches the idea (now that technology has advanced to the point, etc...). I invite everyone to watch it (if you haven't already) and form your own opinion:

Yes, I want to believe. I want to see him succeed, and break the lock that the big publishing houses have on the industry. I dunno, maybe I am naive, or I have been fooled. But I don't think so. And maybe my read on the mood of the backer base is off, but I don't think it is. These people know what they signed up for (the vast majority of them IMO).

One thing I must mention also, that I think has some merit. It has seemed all along that there are a certain number of people that take delight in bad news of Star Citizen. These people clearly think it's "a scam" and they seem to delight in any negative news about the project. The linked article seems to me to be along those lines. And even you posting here Scratch also seems to me to be almost along those lines. Forgive me if I have made a wrong accusation, if so I apologize. But I am basing this on the fact that I never see you posting here in these forums, unless it is derogatory news of SC. Along with some other comments you may have made in Team Speak or elsewhere. And the fact that you are a big fan of ED. Again, apologies if I am off base with that. But if you are dead set against SC, then it is your right to form your own opinion of course. I personally just don't think that opinion has merit, given the information we have available, as I have laid time and again, in my front page articles, as well as this post I am currently writing.

Furthermore, I also ask myself, for those who are SC detractors, why are they so? It is one thing to express legitimate doubt, concern, or to not back the project. It is each person's choice to do as they please with their own hard earned dollars. But some people seem to go out of their way to bash the project, and I have never understood this. Maybe that is because I am a "live and let live" sort of person. But I always wonder, what are the SC bashers' agenda(s)? Why do some people want to try and tear down the hard work and reputation of others? I don't know the answer to this, just speculating. Although in fairness, 4 years in I suppose you can expect some criticism.

But my read on it is that the "true believers" (like myself, and others) will only have our resolve, or faith, if you will, strengthened by these sort of (IMO, baseless) attacks. And that's my take on it. My "faith" is not blind, however. I am 40 years old and was in business 20 years. I have seen some things, and been ripped off more than a few times. So, my opinion is pretty close to what Bregant says in the following video (yes it's the same one from my SC front page article, where I have basically laid out this case before). I am referring to the part where he says:

~"...But I am not a kid any more..."

and then

~"...they show it off..."

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Well said Randy. As much as I am supporting the game from my wallet I am supporting its method of being made. So far I have given about 80. dollars.

Comment

Well, before this goes any further, I want to say 1) Scratch has backed SC and 2) as far as I understand, he hasn't tried it since the 0.9 days when we had to use friend codes. ED is more complete, which is why he is more into it.

As for the legal precedent, I can't really say that it is a precedent. There is a considerable amount of misinformation available about this case, especially the name and money.

What we know is that it was in the 4 digit range and that it was brought about by a resident of California.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Actually, Randy I agree with most of what you said pertaining to the game and the rotten publishers we have. I am excited for this, though, it's just that I am waiting for it to get to a more finished state to begin participating more fully. I even have my donation at the US$45 dollar option, too!

You are wrong about my post meant to be detracting from the game, though I can see how you think that way. No I don't participate a lot in this particular forum, but I do read it every once and again, plus I get updates from BeSiege a lot about it too, he pretty much keeps me up to speed on the game as it develops. It's mostly that I don't have much to contribute to the discussions because, like Siege mentioned, I am kinda focused on Elite: Dangerous. That's mostly because I am the GO for that game (which is out NOW) and I am just trying to keep that alive in the TG community. I am VERY much rooting for this game as well, I am just not as informed on this game as you guys are, so I just don't have anything really intelligent and/or original to add. This is just one thing that I can have an original thought on. I want to start participating again in this forum and thought this might be a good topic to get back in on and have a conversation on.

Another reason is that I've been trying to be kinda hands off for this game, is because I want to see who is the most qualified to be administrators and who cares more about this game. There has been conversations on having either a combined GO for both this and Elite or either having their own GO. Either way, if TG does decided to participate and administrate towards this game in the same manner as PlanetSide 2 and Elite, there is going to be a need for admins, and what better way to determine that than to watch the forums and see who is doing the most to keep the conversations going, how they behave and organize themselves. So far I see a few of you who would make good admins, but I also see a bunch of fly-by nighters who are like this guy who donated a bunch of money, regretted that it wasn't done a month later and left.

Back to topic: seriously though! How can you contribute so much money and complain that a game that didn't even have a playable demo or in-game trailer is different that what you are promised? That's your own dang fault for not doing your research. I mean, what is so different from what he was promised? So far, it looks like what they were promising way back when. You might be right that there is a more underlying reason for the demand.

[support]

Comment

As I said, no offense intended as it's hard to read people's intent over the internet at times, especially with limited information. I did not intend my comments to be inflammatory and I am glad to see that you did not take them that way.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I got a refund because I am 74 and am pretty sure I won't see Chris Roberts grand vision of a game to it's fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                I got a refund because I am 74 and am pretty sure I won't see Chris Roberts grand vision of a game to it's fruition.
                Chief, I want to say that I am glad you were able to get that refund. It is valid, unlike some of the others.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I can hardly blame CR for taking a long time. It actually does take awhile to develop games that focus on one aspect, as in fps and such. This is going to be a huge game, so it's going to take a huge amount of time. Rome wasn't built in a day. This is going to be this guys magnum opus so I can see why he is taking his time with it. Elite is taking awhile too, they are just trying to do things right, rather than rush out a buggy half done piece of software. Slow and steady wins the race in this case.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

[support]

Comment

It should also be noted that a lot of publications, both major and minor, are bashing Star Citizen during the Free-fly week. This is mostly because of how it is difficult to play right now, but as it should be noted, that the free flight periods are used for primarily two reasons--server stress testing and marketing.

Stress testing is one of the easier ways to get the server handling issues to become evident. It seems that this release of Star Citizen suffers from server side issues more than others, especially when players abandon ships. Abandoned ships and the lag servers suffer made certain ships near impossible to use if the pilot left the chair. This was dangerous and made players irritated.

As for marketing, any chance for new players to experience the game really is a good thing for CIG.

Comment

Yeah, keep in mind that the so called "gaming media" are little more than the propaganda arm of the major publishing houses these days. Every game they review is great and you should buy it. Their existence depends on advertising dollars from the major players. To say they have a vested interest in the status quo is an understatement. They can all kick rocks as far as I'm concerned, their opinions are worthless as they are bought and paid for.

Unfortunately, just with real life main stream media today, there are an awful lot of people out there who lack critical thinking skills, and will believe whatever they are told. It's frightening really, that these people are allowed to vote. Luckily in this case, their stupidity doesn't cause me any harm, as they are only wasting their own money. But in politics, these mouth breathers vote people into office who make laws that actually can affect me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X