Gamescom 2016 - Star Citizen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Gamescom 2016 - Star Citizen

SC's Gamescom presentation took place a few hours ago. Fairly neat as far as new gameplay and info goes.

One update was that 2.7 has been enlarged (in regards to content) and will now ship as 3.0:

A new "Free fly"-week has begun as well, the Terrapin (think starter exploration ship/"mini Carrack") is available for purchase, and so is the Ursa (personal carrier - can be transported by the Carrack, one of the Connies and probably some of the other larger ships). In addition to new stuff, some, usually not for sale stuff, is up for grabs again (I managed to get an upgrade for my Starfarer Gemini to Carrack).

The game demo (planetary stuff, new planetside area, mission and some other stuff):

A somewhat more condensed version if you just want the info (and not the gameplay video):
    Last edited by Jyden; 08-19-2016, 07:52 PM.

Re: Gamescom 2016 - Star Citizen

[MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION]

You were curious about trading and cargo hauling.

I am thinking of upgrading some stuff through melting, but not sure if I should.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

This is incredible. I check in from time to time, fully impressed with the progress
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

That does look really awesome. I can't wait to learn more about the technical bits of procedural generation, and how they're going to populate these cool planets with objects (like trees) to make them seem to be alive.

Also that Terrapin is looking really cool. It got me thinking about C&C platforms. Until now the Hornet Tracker has been pointed to as the best small scale C&C platform. But I've never understood the practicalities behind that. If I'm piloting a single seat fighter, I probably don't have time to sit and look at a tactical map in order to command my allies. The Terrapin would seem to be the perfect platform for this. I might have to buy one and trade in some of the other ships I've bought! (freelancer and m50 maybe?)
        sigpic
        Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

I was blown away by what I saw and I have to say that Chris Roberts took a HUGE gamble by showing off 3.7 in a live manner in front of the Gamescon Audience. The game didn't crash, his assistants took his queues well, and the experience was incredibly fluid and enthralling.

What impacted me the most, by far, were the planetary graphics and atmospheric entry physics. The planet's terrain came into view through a satisfying gradual increase in clarity which felt genuine and grabbed my attention.

I guess the most impressive aspect of witnessing this game develop is realizing that we're getting what we've always wanted in a Space Opera.

I'm not insensitive to the delays in development, but as a professional engineer, I respect those who prioritize quality and care over deadlines.
          Last edited by Dimitrius; 08-21-2016, 09:39 PM.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

If you want to make a standard, you need to get it correct rather than out in a half-baked manner.

[MENTION=55927]Jestermaximus[/MENTION]

The terrapin looks interesting, but wouldn't that always need 2 people?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

[MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION] BoredGamer's buyers guide on youtube claims that the Terrapin could be a solo ship for exploration, or maybe even SAR (although the latter was pure speculation). I assume that using it as a scout or a C&C platform would require a second person. But but to me that sounds like the perfect number for small-medium engagements. One dedicated pilot to keep them alive, and one dedicated combat controller using the powerful scanning system to guide all the pilots in the squad!

https://youtu.be/axyaDfXGS2s?t=1m58s
              sigpic

Comment

I am not saying the ship does not have a good purpose, but for a number of us, it isn't likely to be too useful. It would be like taking a connie out to do the missions in Yalla.

Comment

Is that a complaint Siege? Or just an observation.

Balancing is one of the major challenges they are facing, but I am sure it will all flaten out in the end.

That thing doesnt have a lot of offensive capabilities though. Looks like a safe small platform for exploration/tactical logistics.

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Hmm, I guess I just have a slightly different vision of what group play might be like. 1) I'm assuming that the game will provide a compelling reason for us to band together with maybe 5-10 small ships (i.e. single/dual seat fighters). 2) I am further assuming that the game will provide useful command and control mechanics to help coordinate the efforts of those ships. So if both of those assumptions are met, then the Terrapin would seem to be ideally suited for providing C&C at that level. More ships than that might require a much larger command and control platform (i.e. maybe a connie like the Phoenix, or an Aquila?). If either of those assumptions are not true, then I guess it doesn't matter :row__586:

Does that make more sense [MENTION=14958]BeSiege82[/MENTION]? I'm interested in your opinion since you probably have more hands-on time than any of us!
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, I don't necessarily see a problem with a terrapin, but I was under the impression that something like the AQUILA or one of the other ships would better act as a C&C ship. I rather have the feeling that it will die because it will be harder to mobilize the group as a whole at times that would use the terrapin.

Comment

My assumption is that space-Bourne AWACS will integrate into longer targeting ranges with respect to lock and detection status. Possibly dampening of enemy radar.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I'm hoping for active C&C game mechanics, like a 3d tactical map that includes detailed information about enemies, so that the C&C guy can tell other players "you, go fight this specific enemy" (a la commander mode in Battlefield). However what [MENTION=17278]Dimitrius[/MENTION] proposes is much more likely and practical.

As far as mobilizing enough players, it all comes down to how many TGers we can get to play the game! If we could organize a once weekly outing like they've done with Planetside 2, I think we'd have a strong case for investing in, and running some, C&C platforms (would probably be useful to ally ourselves with likeminded, and trusted, organizations). Otherwise there probably wouldn't be much call for dedicated C&C.
                          sigpic

Comment

A major issue, [MENTION=55927]Jestermaximus[/MENTION], is that we have zero outside groups we trust and I believe it should remain that way for a long time. I should clarify that we do have 4 native groups and 1 associated group which MadSoloSniper helps operate. Solo's outfit is business oriented and friendly, but is independent.

As for organizations, we are too far out to know what is what. As things are right now, many of the bigger organizations swallow up the smaller groups and look to integrate them. We are probably going to see something similar to what happened in Eve and we will be forced into going out to the badlands en-mass. I don't really worry about this issue right now. When we see the systems increasing and the servers enlarged, we will need to figure out what to do from there. We've had some people prodding here in the past and it wasn't nice.

As for TG, we are here to game. If I haven't forgotten, many of us have different desires for this game and that... I am going on a diatribe... oh crap.

Comment

Your points make a lot of sense. We clearly don't have enough information about how the game will function closer to launch, everything right now is just speculation! I really hope we don't see what happened in Eve, having to dodge huge gank squads is one reason I could never really get into that game (despite 2 years of trying).

I'm just here to have fun and game tactically, no matter the specific activity, with a group of like-minded folks :icon12:

But back to the purpose of this thread: how bout that awesome demo? As someone who is very interested in UI design, I can't wait to see what the more polished system map will look like. Hopefully they've learned some lessons from the holotable.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X