New Cargo System Info!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cargo System Info!

Today's Around the Verse had a small segment talking about the initial cargo system that is now confirmed for Alpha 3.0. The TL : DR is that people buying cargo in ports will have cargo crates (which look really nice) automatically spawned into their cargo hold. People performing salvage and piracy will have to manually carry cargo into their ship by hand. I assume to move larger pieces, they'll have to turn off their artificial gravity? The little game play video they showed is pretty neat:

https://youtu.be/vvUBEYD6ik0?t=2m34s

I'm excited to get some more core game play up and running!
    sigpic
    Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Re: New Cargo System Info!

are we getting a 2.6 or is it jumping to 3.0?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

We're getting 2.6 - It'll be the "Star Marine" patch. No .7, .8 or .9.

Comment

Right, I think 3.0 is due sometime around the beginning of the new year?
        sigpic

Comment

If memory serves they're aiming for "end of this year", but Q1/2 '17 seem more realistic.

Comment

Is this the permanent cargo system or just for the alpha. Because static large cargo boxes is kinda dissapointing if it means you can't rob a Freelancer with another lancer.
            Or did I misunderstand?

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the spawning and de-spawning of the large cargo was purely a convenience for haulers.

It might be that the first iteration of the system only allows you to transfer small, carry-able cargo between ships. However I interpreted their video to mean that in the full version all cargo can be manually transferred between ships.

Going into wild speculation, I assume that all multicrew ships can turn off their artificial gravity. So when robbing someone you'd turn off your gravity and float the cargo into your ship's hold. When it reaches the cargo "tie-down" (the floor plating that secures cargo) you want to use, you'll get an option that says "secure cargo" and it will lock into place. Then you can turn your gravity back on. Maybe they'll even invent some sort of 0g pallet-jack to move big stuff (like a small set of thrusters that you control like a vehicle).
              sigpic

Comment

I think you're right probably

Comment

Hey, slightly more information on the 3.0 cargo system. Although it's mostly just a synopsis of things we know. If you haven't been keeping up with the cargo system, this is a good place to start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2IctDspmAo

One thing I still don't understand is how these trade routes will work. Assuming there are no quantum drive interdiction items, the only way for pirates to have a reasonable chance is when cargo haulers are stuck at normal speeds, in fairly predictable places. However from the gameplay we've seen, ships can warp extremely far on one tank of gas. So what is to stop cargo haulers from warping directly from a jump point to their destination (bypassing pirates altogether)?

The only way I can see this system working is if 1) pirates have some ability to prevent/pull ships out of quantum drive, 2) quantum drive consumes enough fuel, and star systems are designed in such a way, that cargo haulers will have to stop in predictable places to refuel/cool down/etc. The latter would create true shipping routes that can be exploited by pirates, and the former would let pirates actually engage ships before they simply warp away.

Does this make any sense?
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, consider this, some people can easily jump to locations without a regular destination. Set the drive to a general direction and jump and manually cut the jump before going directly to the port.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X