No announcement yet.

More than four years into development Star Citizen changes game engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] More than four years into development Star Citizen changes game engine

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/23/14...on-game-engine

In a press release issued today, the team at Roberts Space Industries announced they would be moving on from Crytek’s CryEngine in favor of Amazon’s Lumberyard. That means they’ve spent a significant amount of time effectively gutting their game, which is not yet finished, in order to make that transition possible.

“We’ve been working with Amazon for more than a year, as we have been looking for a technology leader to partner with for the long term future of Star Citizen and Squadron 42,” said the game’s creative lead and studio head Chris Roberts. “Lumberyard provides groundbreaking technology features for online games. Because we share a common technical vision, it has been a very smooth and easy transition to Lumberyard.”
    I guess they've known for a while that Crytek was in trouble?

Since Lumberyard was built on CryEngine tech that Amazon bought, it is not as massive a shift as it seems at first brush. Seems to me that its more analogous to switching flavors of Linux than it is to switching from Windows to Linux. Having a stable platform should improve their chances of completing the project, and given CryTek's apparent collapse of late, Amazon is the better bet.

Comment

draeh, the company ceased to use and receive new updates for the CryEngine for quite a while. They even renamed their version as the StarEngine. From the sounds of it, it is simply taking what they have and importing much of it over to lumberyard.

This is the first that I heard of the switch to Lumberyard, as I heard that they were working on their own after they hired on a number of former Crytek employees from around the world.

It should be noted that the AWS and cloud features Amazon has available seem like very good options for the game, but at present, CIG only has a license for Lumberyard.
      Last edited by BeSiege82; 12-24-2016, 03:00 AM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I wasn't suggesting this was a knock. I found the article more interesting about the current Crytek state than what it says about Star Citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
          I wasn't suggesting this was a knock. I found the article more interesting about the current Crytek state than what it says about Star Citizen.
          The words "after four years of dev... engine change" sounded like a train wreck to me. My reply was more a response to my initial reaction than to anything you said.

Comment

I thought CIG bought the rights to cryengine completely?
            Aka, Amazon would have had to buy it from CIG?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenster View Post
              I thought CIG bought the rights to cryengine completely?
              Aka, Amazon would have had to buy it from CIG?
              No, they bought the license for version 3. something and then stopped updating. Each Crytek update would break something so it would seem.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

As a coder, my guess is they are using some variation on the Model-View-Controller paradigm. With View being the graphics engine. This allowed them to switch over easier and retain most of their work, not a lot is lost. This is hardly bad news, in fact it shows they are willing to make tough decisions to make sure they are using the tools that are best for the job.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                Last edited by ScratchnSniff0; 12-26-2016, 05:28 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                [support]

Comment

It should also be noted that Star Citizen has mainly moved everything over to the cloud. This is to help deal with the global game servers and the massive servers needed to be used.

Comment

Connection to an established cloud service like AWS should be a great thing. Especially as the known universe expands.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                      Connection to an established cloud service like AWS should be a great thing. Especially as the known universe expands.
                      I know, I've wondered how they plan to deal with the scaling, but as Amazon is large, I think this was a smart move.

Comment

Timely vox.com article:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA2-iMz479o

It starts by talking about Amazon's new grocery store concepts, but that is highly related to their cloud services and where they want to take it.
                        sigpic
                        Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

Well, turning off VSync and Blur actually makes the game way better.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X