Impressions of 2.6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressions of 2.6

Now that version 2.6 has released, I would like to hear some of the impressions that people have of the new release.

I like the new interface and menu. The Caterpillar is hard to fly and the new use menu interaction is much nicer.
    views from the caterpillar observation room.

Last edited by BeSiege82; 12-29-2016, 02:47 PM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

TL:DR I'm disappointed with Star Marine. <rant>I've played both Stanton and Star Marine and I'm a little disappointed, given how long we've waited for the latter. The movement is jerky (although still an improvement over what walking used to be like); the loadout screen, while nice to have, is not terribly well designed; the bleed out feature is annoying as hell (although wouldn't be as bad if we all started with one health injector, they're impossible to find on the map before bleed out); the SMG is like a laser; the time to kill is huge; the shotgun is basically useless. With all that said my hope for star marine was more Counter Strike-esk where you can die very quickly, and there are fairly severe consequences for death (i.e. either single life or long respawn time), which forces you to go slow and use teamwork/tactics. Right now, maybe by design, everyone runs around like chickens with their head cut off. Also after waiting this long, I really thought they'd have more than 3 weapons implemented (if not balanced perfectly).</rant>

Now I know, we're still in Alpha, and I'm still pretty ok with that. However given the number of times they've pushed Star Marine back I'm still kind of disappointed that this is the state of FPS mechanics. There is a ridiculous amount of polish required in FPS. So Star Marine will not convert anyone who hasn't pledged yet (unless they're looking for a pretty game, and have a monster PC), by is a barely serviceable glimpse into the future of the game.

On the flight side, I like the slowed down speeds. I think I like the changes to cruise mode, not sure about the boost yet. Need more practice. Once I could figure it out I do love interacting with the difference screens (like changing my weapon groups, and power allotment), but that's not a new feature. <rant2>But I had an episode that really pulled me out of the experience. I was fighting an NPC Cutlass (in my Hornet Ghost with 3x size 3 ballistic weapons), and we went around in circles for 2-3 minutes. I would keep hitting him and hitting him, but I could never do more than drain his shields. Even that was difficult to tell, because all the aux screens in the cockpit are near the edge of the screen and trying to interpret the graphical representation of the enemy ship's health while trying to keep him in my sights is extremely difficult.</rant2>

Sorry for the diatribe. I guess I'm feeling a little grumpy :)
    sigpic
    Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

I played a little this morning. Basically what ^Jester said. I would add the sound in Star marine is annoying, I had to turn off the in game voice. All n all pretty much still clearly Alpha, no crashes so far though.

Comment

I am not a fan of the new fire rates for the guns. Star Marine is good if you make private matches with your friends. You can pick how you want to fight then.

There was a moment of ship teleporting while the servers were completely filled.

I want to make a point about the supporting crew stations. Not all ships allow for power management and control from the secondary positions inside the cockpit or bridge. As I discovered the secondary positions inside the caterpillar's command module is limited in their control features. This directly means that you either need to completely crew the command module with a crew or have a person manning the complete engineering position in the engine room. (This position has quite a number of screens available to view everything and take care of functions without having to swap screens.) For examples of other such ships, consider the Aegis Vanguard and Retaliator as the engineering positions have full access, albeit you still have tabs to switch between menus.

Last edited by BeSiege82; 12-29-2016, 03:21 PM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I'm pretty satisfied tbh
          For a very first iteration things are looking very positive! More bugs than an EA release but come on! It's a bare bones alpha! ;D
          (Edit: Talking about Star Marine)

What I like the most though is that whenever I jump into the PU it just feels more and more alive.
          I meet random people almost all the time which leads to tons of different situations. I can only imagine what it'll become with even more of the features implemented and a proper netcode.
          Hopefully we get a proper netcode...
          Right?
          R-right??

Comment

Originally posted by Fenster View Post
            I'm pretty satisfied tbh
            For a very first iteration things are looking very positive! More bugs than an EA release but come on! It's a bare bones alpha! ;D

What I like the most though is that whenever I jump into the PU it just feels more and more alive.
            I meet random people almost all the time which leads to tons of different situations. I can only imagine what it'll become with even more of the features implemented and a proper netcode.
            Right?
            R-right??
            I noticed that the 'shoot on site' type of person in the PU is less common. Can actually get some normals that are cool to fly with.

Comment

I'm pretty satisfied tbh

Right?
              R-right??
              Right Fenster. Well said.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I feel better about 2.6 after seeing the positive reactions from you guys!

I'm interested in what everyone's assumptions/hopes are about the final feel, and/or balance, of FPS in Star Citizen. What combination of popular games would you say best describes what you want the FPS to feel like at release? In my previous post I said I wanted it to feel slightly counter-strike-esk (maybe with the potential for tactical movement/options of Arma3?) to force people to work tactically.

What do you guys think?
                sigpic

Comment

you are free to get a hold of me if you want to fly.

Comment

I'm pretty satisfied tbh

Right?
                    R-right??
                    If people are interested in netcode, here is interesting analysis of Star Marine's first release:
                    https://youtu.be/akwVVi6weKQ
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X