migration to AWS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migration to AWS

Servers are down for the next little while because they are switching everything to AWS.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Hopefully that'll help improve stability and instance player count!
    sigpic
    Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

Hopefully, it is back up now. Not sure if it has improved things.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

That's the Plan. I think Oracle is another competitor in this neighborhood.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrius View Post
          That's the Plan. I think Oracle is another competitor in this neighborhood.
          Oracle? That made me laugh so hard I cried.

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post

Oracle? That made me laugh so hard I cried.
            Oracle has something like 40% market share in SAAS market. IAAS is not unconquerable. =)

http://www.cbronline.com/news/cloud/...-data-centres/

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Oracle focuses on Finacen and ERp (with a mixed reputation at best). AWS is a broad platform, and has a focused element on games (Lumberyard) that Oracle does not. They'd have a huge uphill fight against AWS, Azure, and Google - so I don't see them taking on IAAS anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Noyava View Post
                Oracle focuses on Finacen and ERp (with a mixed reputation at best). AWS is a broad platform, and has a focused element on games (Lumberyard) that Oracle does not. They'd have a huge uphill fight against AWS, Azure, and Google - so I don't see them taking on IAAS anytime soon.
                I don't think they'll take over, just mentioning there was competition.

I must admit, I am ignorant to what Lumberyard is beyond the term. Is it a framework or just an optimized platform for games? Something to do with CryEngine?

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Dimitrius

Lumberyard is a branch of CryEngine released by Amazon. It has functionality that seems to mesh better with their AWS and the needs of Star Citizen's servers. It is as simple as spinning up a new server as soon as the current servers become full.

The move two nights ago seemed to have been completed without issue on their end, but I am uncertain about how much has changed on our end. It is probably a move intended to allow for future changes needed for the upcoming 3.0 release.

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                    Dimitrius

Lumberyard is a branch of CryEngine released by Amazon. It has functionality that seems to mesh better with their AWS and the needs of Star Citizen's servers. It is as simple as spinning up a new server as soon as the current servers become full.

The move two nights ago seemed to have been completed without issue on their end, but I am uncertain about how much has changed on our end. It is probably a move intended to allow for future changes needed for the upcoming 3.0 release.
                    Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks Siege.

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I could be totally wrong here, but it almost seems as if Lumberyard is what Star Citizen customized version of CryEngine has become? Like, they are pushing the limits of it so much due to their needs that they have gone beyond what CryEngine could do, to the point of it becoming separate software? Or perhaps Lumberyard is just the "cloud" based part? I know they hired on a lot of former CryEngine core devs. If that is so, I really hope they retain the IP to that, as I trust CR a hell of a lot more than Bezos.
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Randy_Shughart_ClwFL
                        If I remember correctly, Star Engine and Lumberyard were very similar to each other. Lumberyard has an integrated Cloud and large scale multiplayer connectivity feature set available in its library and Amazon's continued support if I recall. With that being said, Lumberyard is really designed to take advantage of the AWS services. Star Engine was taking advantage of Google cloud services, but this was not an out of the box engine designed to work with the cloud while Lumberyard is.

Randy, I think it really came down to 2 major factors and 1 positive benefit. Star Citizen needs a good network and server backbone to accommodate the man players and huge worlds which AWS offers; Lumberyard was easy to transition to from the Star Engine; and Amazon is offering a long term support for the software.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X