Letter From the Chairman: The Road Ahead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter From the Chairman: The Road Ahead

For those others (like myself, admittedly) who have sort of tuned out of development (or more accurately, stepped back) I thought I would post this update. I rarely check in over at RSI any more, I've taken tthe stance that "it will be ready when it's ready" (with the occasional fear that "I hope they don't run out of money first"). Anyway, some news of progress, which piqued my interest, and so I thought I would re-post here:

Greetings Citizens,

After many months of estimating and planning I am excited to share with you the Star Citizen Schedule and Roadmap for the rest of this year.
    First, I would like to take a moment to thank the outstanding producers around the company who have worked with the Directors and Leads to bring this schedule to the point we feel comfortable sharing it publicly. Creating a proper production schedule is a Herculean task in and of itself and then knowing that it will be visible to over a million eager supporters around the world is a daunting prospect. The schedule you are now looking at is built from the estimates of hundreds of developers around the company, collected and integrated against our overall objectives for the game. To give you an idea of the work that goes into building and maintaining a schedule of the complexity needed for Star Citizen, I would like to share a video with you, itís well worth your time to see just how much work and thought is needed to schedule manage something of the scope of Star Citizen.

The next Release is a major milestone for us, as it will be the first time the community will get to experience the Planetary Tech in a Live build.

Like the Star Citizen Alpha numbering change from 1.3 to 2.0 for the move to Large World, with its 64-bit precision and Local Grid physics tech, that allows us to deliver a game of our detail at a solar system scale, 3.0 represents a giant jump in gameplay potential from the code in the 2.x branch. For a start, it will contain about nine months of our main development branch beyond 2.6.x as well as almost two years of Planetary Tech development that the Frankfurt Engine team embarked on in the last half of 2015. The Planetary Tech opens up a whole new landscape (pun intended) for adventure. In the same way that Large World and Physics Grids created new possibilities in gameplay by allowing players to go from walking around a space station to boarding a ship, flying it hundreds of thousands of kilometers, exiting their pilot seat, walking to an airlock, opening it and EVAing over to a derelict station, all from the same point of view, the Planetary Tech takes it one massive leap further. When you see a Planet or Moon, you will be able to fly there, land and explore on foot, or from your ship or a ground vehicle you have brought with you. All seamlessly, all with the incredible first person detail that Star Citizen is known for. With this we are delivering something that goes way beyond the initial promises and conception of Star Citizen; we will be simulating a First person Universe with almost no limits. Itís a great illustration of how with the support of a Community as great as Star Citizenís anything is possible.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...The-Road-Ahead

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X