Travel Times in the 'Verse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Times in the 'Verse

I hadn't thought too much about this topic yet, but Noobifier put out a great video hypothesizing about how long it'll take us to travel between jump points in real time. Worth a watch! Personally I would like to see longer travel times, but there is a delicate balance to be struck by the game mechanics.
    sigpic
    Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Cool video, enjoyed it, thanks for posting. He raises some interesting points / thoughts for discussion.

I have faith that CR will strike the right balance between casual and realistic. I am with you Jester in that I lean more toward realistic, and I think a good part (majority even?) of the playerbase (especially those who were backers early, like all of us) also feel the same way. Casual has been done ad nauseum. We don't want casual any more. We want something different. Look at how much time, effort, levels of physics, fidelity, etc. they are putting into this. I think also of the "Death of a Spaceman" article. Death will have consequences. CR is an old school gamer from when games used to be HARD. And I think that is the demographic here. This is a PC only game, remember. Filthy casuals GTFOH! XD
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

So last week this topic got an update. The Around the Verse video had a segment (Iinked on this post. link will skip to the relevant point in the video) on how they did their research about the physics behind solar systems. During that segment they said off-hand that solar systems are being modeled at 1/10 their stated size (our real solar system is apparently 50AU across) and that quantum travel was about 1/10 the speed of light. As an example of long-haul flight (in a 200 AU system) they said it took player about 20 minutes to travel in quantum travel. So I take this as an example of the longest flights we'll encounter in the game. And that's great, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Oh, and yeah keep those filthy casuals out! :) Thats why I'm replaying Fallout 4 will every hardcore mod I could find!

sigpic

Comment

As they said, you may want to turn on Netflix or read a book.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Yep, what matters is that these long flight times Wilcox hopefully give more weight to death in the game. I was always a little worried about how the game would make people actually care about dying in the game. The Death of a Spaceman article never really convinced me that death would carry tangible consequences for people other than role players (depending on exactly how insurance works, which we still don't really know).

these long flight times sound like they'll be one of the mechanics that make players think twice about a situation before engaging. That's precisely why I like hardcore mode in in Fallout 4, you can't save every 5 seconds and it creates real tension.
          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X