Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Citizen will support Vulkan, and WILL NOT support Direct X!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Citizen will support Vulkan, and WILL NOT support Direct X!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :)

I mentioned this in Acreo's Ryzen thread, but I thought I would post it here as well. This may be old news for some people (I read that the announcement came back in March) however I myself just learned this the other day, as I was reading up on graphics stuff as I try to get my triple head (20 30 20 PLP) setup working in GNU/Linux.

Anyway, exciting news (for me at least). Future looking brighter all the time for FOSS software and platforms!
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Guess you should make a second boot just for Unix and Star Citizen.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Posting right now from Debian testing running KDE Plasma and latest Firefox, etc. Still behind 7 Boxxies of course. XD

I haven't logged in to Windoze ever since I got this up and running... And likely won't, unless to play Planetside or whatever. And even then, next thing I suppose, for me, will be to look into running it in a VM, and giving the Windows VM dedicated access to my discreet GPU which would give it 2/3 of my monitors.

Have SC been released for GNU/Linux yet? Or is it more like "we will be releasing it at some future date?"
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Randy? Randy, are you in there? You won't be able to properly run SC in a VM just yet. You'd need to completely install the VM on an SSD, have a top of the line GPU, and set the VM to have 4 threads and 6Gb of VRAM. VMware is free, but there is a hotkey issue where modifier buttons would get stuck on, so it is best not to do that. The part about 4 threads is also important because getting rid of the 4 threads does hurt the performance of the chip as a whole.

Dual boot is your best option, but my suggested configuration would involve splitting the resources between the two OSs installed. Linux gets 2 HDDs, while Windows gets a HDD for the OS and it would get an SSD for any kind of games that would need an SSD.

Well, Randy, I have Linux VMs on a couple machines. I mostly use them as test beds. Kali is debian based and is a security oriented version of linux. I also have used CentOS, RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, and a few others. Debian and Gnome are the two types I mess around with, interface is better than the old Unix interface.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Is this a real Star Citizen post or another opportunity to display the old "I use Linux cause it's free, I'll nevar touch winderz again coz they're nazis just like steam!"

i jest.

Moving to a platform agnostic graphics API is a great future proofing decision on CIGs part.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

It should be noted, that the Crytek engine/ Lumberyard engine natively supports 8 cores or 8 threads. That being the case, we may be seeing a quad core minimum and a 8 thread recommended cpu situation, but I hope the use of low level Vulkan can help deal with things, but that may just be a naive thought.

Turns out, back in 2010, Crytek added support of up 8 cores for all Crytek based games. Now we just have to see how Star Citizen will shape up and utilize those 8 cores.

Comment

Actually, if they use Vulkan correctly, it should offload as much of the graphics workload to the GPU rather than the CPU. That is pretty much the purpose of of Vulkan so the amount of cores really shouldn't matter.

Also, KDE sucks, lol! GNOME is so much better!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
              [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
              [support]

Comment

Well, I like Unity, but that thing eventually turned into Mac Free edition, so going to Gnome again should be nice.

Comment

To each their own of course. I use Gnome (2 I think? the traditional one) on kid's computer. It's got the traditional desktop paradigm down pat with no crazy, confusing UI. But for my main rig with triple monitors, I find KDE infinitely more functional, customizable, and nicer looking.

They even have an android app on F-Droid that links with the KDE desktop and gives you notifications off your phone, can transfer clipboard, use phone as media, keyboard, and/or mouse remote, etc. It's super slick. Tons of add ins, KDE is a huge community. I'm pretty particular and I like things a certain way and I like to tweak to suit my needs, and I have not run into anything yet with KDE where I could not do what I wanted to. And that's a really nice feeling. Super cozy in fact, just like I have my desktop environment and all programs, by now. ;)

And I love the Breeze Dark theme, it looks really clean and nice IMO, a modern flat / material sort of design. I do most of my work at night so it looks great, especially with my backlit keyboard.

I have heard lots of "opinions" on KDE of course. lol I suppose it's like Ford vs Chevy. Although, I will say, Ford never took any bailout money. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                    To each their own of course.
                    True, sir!

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                    I have heard lots of "opinions" on KDE of course. lol I suppose it's like Ford vs Chevy. Although, I will say, Ford never took any bailout money. haha
                    Haha! Right?!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                    [support]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed