Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Soon to be bomb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: The Old Republic: Soon to be bomb?

I unfortunately have not had the opportunity to play SWTOR yet, although I will play this weekend. However; a number of friends of mine who have had access to the beta (even though I created my account on October 21, 2008, and they did it years later) say the game is a poor WoW clone and is going to fail miserably. I decided to look up on a number of forums what other people are saying and it seems most beta players find the game to be in a very pathetic state, to say the least.

This worries me. I have been looking forward to this since at least October 21, 2008 when the game was announced. I played KOTOR 1 and 2 at least a dozen times. I pre-ordered the game the day it was available, and overall I just love the time period and universe the game is set in. Is this game going to disappoint me on Friday?

Please give me hope because everything I am reading, the videos I am seeing are making this game sound very underwhelming. I really really want the game to succeed.
    "Mess with the best, Die like the Rest"

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Soon to be bomb?

That's pretty funny. Every game gets this treatment in the MMO world. I have heard the complete opposite and there are always fans of other games that just want other games to fail for childish reasons so they talk it down.

This game is a revolution in the mmo gaming space and will help the entire mmo world change just like WoW did when it started.

- -

Comment

Oh and zero way for this to be a WoW clone. This is Star Wars universe. WoW is a clone of Warhammer universe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Comment

The only issues I've seen with the game is space combat. Space combat seems cheaply done and something you could get out of a free flash game. That is the -only- bad thing I have to say about the game. The rest of it is very polished.

Comment

Take it from someone who does not play MMOs ever...the game is great. I played just a bit of WoW (leveled a hunter to 40), and I find this game much more enjoyable. The low-level missions have much more engaging stories, the characters are fun to play, and the universe is...well...come on it's STAR WARS! It's awesome! I think the key is to not go into it looking for something that breaks new ground apart from WoW. It's kind of like the CoD vs. BF3 debate. They are not the same game, so why compare them? I think SWTOR stands on it's on as a really fun, enjoyable game.

Comment

Re: Wow clones - it's rare to find an MMO that couldn't be accused of being a WoW clone to some degree. The fact is, the system they use in WoW works, and works well. So naturally other developers are going to borrow ideas from it, because trying to make a different system is likely to end in failure.
            My biggest worry for SWtOR is that it's subscription-based, in a time when more and more games are going free-to-play or sub-based with an extensive free trial. Is it unique enough to stand out from the crowd, or will Bioware/EA cave and make it free-to-play after release?
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I can see a FTP with heavy restrictions. It's a great way to pull players in. If the game does suck as some in this thread assume it won't really matter what the price structure is. If is great it still won't matter.
              WOW clone... Gimme a FN break man!

Sarcomas
              Sarcoma.

Comment

First impressions I like it. Its polished and seems fairly bug free. I absolutely love the voiced quest, it adds something that has been missing from the genre. That being said, game play is very much your typical mmo with a star wars skin. If you looking for something different I think your going to be disappointing.

Comment

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=679630

I recommend everyone reads this. It helped me make up my mind to cancel my pre-order. I am probably going to wait a year and see what's going on with the game. I just can't justify to myself spending the amount of money they want, on a seemingly half-baked game, targeting Sunday casuals.

What worries me the most is exactly what he mentioned, that Bioware and EA are scamming players with the free beta weekend. With the beta weekend you can only go 10-20 levels, and he says that after the first 20 levels is when the game starts to really turn to ****. What he mentioned about the bonus quests also bothered me, and was something I noticed. If you don't do those stupid kill x quests you fall behind the level curve, the fact he says he gets quests to kill 135 of something is even more bothersome.

I would recommend everyone at the least think about what this guy, (and the many others on the fourms) are saying.

Please keep any fanboy bull**** out of the discussion and try to approach this objectively, FFS I registered on the first day they announced the game, have read every single update post, seen every single video/trailer, and REALLY REALLY want this game to succeed. It's just that between all the writing I see on the wall and my own experience this weekend, I don't think the game is ready.

Comment

Everyone has an opinion on the game. The points he raises are valid, you do have to grind to level up. Its the same with any MMO. However with SWToR it goes about it in a much better way. You can do the normal questing and gain level, or do the bonus quests and get add on XP. But they are not as bold as kill 145 of something. Its usually kill 20 or so of the guys you would have to kill anyway to get to where you are going. But deciding not to do it wont hurt your level "curve". All of the planets are designed to build up your level with a steady progression. Now you can only do story quests and bypass all the extras and go to the next planet but you have to understand that you might be over powered.

Also, doing these quests in a group helps to make it more fun. Unlike other MMO's you can share all of your quests with your group. They can help you kill all of the things and go through the game. They wont get the end mission rewards for your class quest, but they can lend a hand. This is very helpful especially on the boss battles. Pretty much any mission or quest you have you can take a full group with you. That is how we rolled in the beta. Everyone helping each other out and doing quest and we hit lvl 18 in a day. Throw in some PvP action (you can do it at lvl 10) some low level instances and you can get 20 in 2 days. It seems fast but the pacing of the game and the story are amazing.

Overall, playing the Beta has cemented my want of the game. The OP you linked does raise some good points on known issues and things that have been expressed both in game and in the forum. However thats to be expected in a new release and things will get patched, updated, rearranged.

Honestly though, if you are worried or skeptical about the release I would wait and see what the group here has to say about it. You know that we always give unbiased non-fanboy reviews and tell it like it is. So you should check up after release and see how it is being absorbed by the group.

I am a die-hard Star Wars fan, I have posters, autographed pictures, film cells, two copies of the trilogy, and my cat names are Boba and Jango. Yes I am a fanboy, but I can tell you that all of my statements in the beta and expectations of the game are purely from a gamer point of view. The game is very solid and is very engrossing. It doesn't have the same level of RP freedom that Galaxies did, but it is more structured. I had high hopes for the game before the beta and after playing, it has really shown me that both BioWare and EA are really listening to the community and are trying to make the best game they can. I am very excited for release and even more excited about where the game will be 6 months after release.

Hope that helps, I'm sure there will be a few more posts here it will just be up to you to decide what is best for you in the end. As the games we play are all personal preference.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by Matrixmister View Post

I recommend everyone reads this. It helped me make up my mind to cancel my pre-order. I am probably going to wait a year and see what's going on with the game. I just can't justify to myself spending the amount of money they want, on a seemingly half-baked game, targeting Sunday casuals.
                      I read every word from that post you linked. The opinion was well thought out and it made me think about a few things. But as I was reading through the sections, I couldn't help but think "Yeah, but I don't care about that" over and over again. In other words, that write-up was obviously written by someone who is an MMO expert, while I am not an MMO expert. From what little experience I have with WoW, I learned that (to me, personally) MMOs can be quite boring to play...but play them with friends and they can be really really fun. So for me, TOR is going to be all about playing a Star Wars game with friends. That probably makes me a "Sunday casual," as you put it, and I'm fine with that. The guy who wrote that article lost me in quite a few spots, because I had no idea what he was talking about or why it was important. But to a seasoned MMO player who is trying to be the best of the best, I'm sure a lot of the stuff he said hit home hard.

So really, all I'm trying to say is that I can completely understand why experienced MMO players would take caution in considering this game after reading that article. But to others, a Star Wars game world and a group of friends is all it takes to plunk down their $60. And this is why I generally dislike arguments where one side is trying to convince the other side to play or not play a certain game. Some people are looking to get certain things out of games that others aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Matrixmister View Post

What worries me the most is exactly what he mentioned, that Bioware and EA are scamming players with the free beta weekend. With the beta weekend you can only go 10-20 levels, and he says that after the first 20 levels is when the game starts to really turn to ****. What he mentioned about the bonus quests also bothered me, and was something I noticed. If you don't do those stupid kill x quests you fall behind the level curve, the fact he says he gets quests to kill 135 of something is even more bothersome.

I would recommend everyone at the least think about what this guy, (and the many others on the fourms) are saying.

Please keep any fanboy bull**** out of the discussion and try to approach this objectively, FFS I registered on the first day they announced the game, have read every single update post, seen every single video/trailer, and REALLY REALLY want this game to succeed. It's just that between all the writing I see on the wall and my own experience this weekend, I don't think the game is ready.
                        He sounds like hes burned out on the generic MMOs, which like I said before is what this game is with a star wars skin and voiced quest. I'm not really sure what he was looking for exactly, but from what I saw of the game through videos and other information I knew exactly what I was getting into. Baseline no bull****, I'ts a GENERIC/WOW CLONE mmo with a more theatrical story. If that doesn't appeal to you, save your money your just going to be deeply disappointed.

Comment

I love it. I've been looking for something new, space wise. I love Sci-Fi and have been wanting a new futuristic MMO for a while. This definitely fits the bill!

Comment

Originally posted by Tllyx View Post
                            I love it. I've been looking for something new, space wise. I love Sci-Fi and have been wanting a new futuristic MMO for a while. This definitely fits the bill!
                            +1 I forgot to say this as well. One of the big things that turned me off from WoW was that I'm just not that into fantasy. I've said all along that if Blizzard ever made World of Starcraft I'd be in. Well SWTOR is the closest thing I've seen yet...

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with the game if it was just a WoW clone with a Star Wars Skin and Voice.

My problem comes in that it is a half-baked WoW clone with a Star Wars Skin and Voice.

From the article, and what I have read, the end game content, and to an extent the higher level content (past mid 20's), is just not there.

I just have this feeling that all the content is bottom loaded, which is the reason they are only giving us weekend betas (so we can't go to far). Most modern MMO's now have open betas for the last week or two before release. This has now come to be a "try before you buy". Unfortunately SWTOR isn't doing this. I think that Bioware/EA's idea of endgame content is to re-roll as a different class/same class (look at that legacy thing).

The game also seems to me to be targeting people who will play 5-10 hrs a week max. Just the style and design.

What I feel happened is that Bioware came in wanting to make an epic MMO (like they promised us back in 2008 and teased us with). But EA came in and said something along the lines of "We don't want to target the MMO demographic we want to target EVERYONE, change this this this and this." Slowly this perverted the game into what it is now. I also believe the fully voiced game took them more time than they thought. Something HAD to have gone horribly wrong in the development of the game for it to be so poor at this stage. This is the longest developed MMO, and most expensive MMO ever made, yet it is just so below average.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X