Star Wars: The Old Republic : Tips & Tricks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: The Old Republic : Tips & Tricks

"Tips and Tricks" threads have been popular in the past. I thought it would be nice to post up our tips to making this game more enjoyable for everyone.

Even the most simple idea may make life easier for someone who didnt know "it was possible", even if you think that everyone should already know about it...

For instance: You can extend your camera view from your character by moving the "Camera Max Distance" slider under "Preferences" / "Controls". It gives you more view of the battlefield around you, lets you see any incoming patrol NPCs, see if you teammates are about to be pounced on. I like mine about 40-50% percent depending on character class... Although I have heard of players moving it 100%.
    Last edited by ANGELofDEATH; 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM.
    theeANGELofDEATH(Steam/Origin)
    E Pluribus Unum
    Sarcasm is just another free service I offer
    Si vis pacem, para bellum .. Molon Labe

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic : Tips & Tricks

My first tip, "get in Teamspeak with us". . . It is much easier to "Push to talk" than to type stuff out, especially when we already have a hundred keys to press when in battle. . and much easier to talk to each other about stuff in-game. Even if you dont have a microphone, at least you can hear us (you can find a cheap mic for under $10, but I advise against getting a desktop mic as they dont pick up your voice as well as one on a head set, but they are good as a backup/emergency/test unit)

Our TS3 server is now completely integrated with our forums; to switch channels, or to do anything else useful, you must register your TeamSpeak Unique ID with your TG forum account!. Your TS privileges as a registered forum-member, Supporting Member, Game Admin, XO, or Game Officer will automatically be applied. (Anyone can connect to the TS server, but they will only have access to the Default and Help channels until they register on the forums.)
    From the TeamSpeak 3 - Server Information thread
    E Pluribus Unum

Comment

When you get to Ilum, at the end of the planet quests, and go to fight Lord Loyat in her little base in the snow. KILL everyone in the room before taking her on. At some point in fighting her, she calls for backup and everyone in the room joins the fight, which leads to a quick death.

If you clear the room of the mobs like you would any other room first, then you only have to fight her and her goons on the stage, which is pretty easy for a couple people. . . tough on one.
      Last edited by ANGELofDEATH; 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM.
      E Pluribus Unum

Comment

At level 50 you can start running the daily quests, or "dailies"... Running them all will net you 151,760 credits (plus trash loot) and 25 daily commendations. When you want to start running them, ask one of us who have been running them for weeks/months as we have a pattern down, which means you can do all the dailies in about two hours(with breaks) and end up o Ilum to grind out some Armaments(if there is an Ops)

You will have to do the bonus missions on Belsavis and the planet quests on Ilum to some most of these. I found this nice list, which was taken from a pay-for guides. I would just paste them here, but to save on page space the link will do.

The dailies on Belsavis include a Teleporter that is not found during normal questing. It takes you from the very southwest corner(1st) of the map to the very north(2nd), north-west of "The Tomb". So while planet questing on Belsavis, and you find yourself in the Tomb area, go find that 2nd teleporter so you dont have to travel the slow way up there again when you start the "dailies run". To find the 2nd teleporter, go north while in "The Tomb" area, through the tunnel across the bridge, hug the right side, you will find the "Oasis Republic Outpost"(where you will pick up and drop of a couple dailies), click on the Quick Travel point. Follow the east(right) edge until you find another tunnel going east. When you come out into the snow area, the teleporter's cave is the far southwest of that area, you wont be able to use it until you discover the 1st one at the Southwest corner, but trust me, you dont want to have to make THAT trip to discover the 2nd when you start running the dailies.
        E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Rebind your "Chat Reply" "R" key to something else so you dont open the chat while in battle. I put mine to "J" which is what I am used to using form the Battlefield series.

A couple other preference changes that I feel that need to be enabled...

Controls -
          Enable Area Loot - loots from all dead in the area
          Auto Target Closest Enemy - must be careful as you will target mobs behind you, not in the current pull

User interface -
          Show Conversation Alignment Gain- shows alignment gain without having to mouse over choices
          Enable Companion Comparative Tooltips - so you can compare items to your companion without having to open character sheet
          Show Cooldown Text - displays the time that an ability has until used again

Social -
          Allow Access to Same Class Story Areas - allows you to get into quest areas with same class players
          Last edited by ANGELofDEATH; 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM.
          E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Okay this one is up for debate.. But I saw someone else mention this before I started playing on my first toon.

At level 10. . Instead of picking a crafting or missions skill at such a low level pick 3 of the 4 gathering skills. This way you are just gathering "money" as you are leveling up. I say money, because you are only gathering materials(mats), which can be used to craft items or sold, the market(this is how I made my first million).. or better yet, trade to crafters for gear that will make it easier to level yourself up.

Slicing picks up boxes of money and missions for Augments, I highly advise picking this one. I didnt even have to send my companions out to level this up, because there are boxes everywhere on the planets. Like picking up free cash just laying there waiting for you to click on it.

Scavenging picks up metals and compounds used in crafting Cybertech, Armormech and Armstech. You can also analyze many dead mob droids that give you mats.

Archeology picks up power and color crystals and artifacts that are used for crafting in Artifice and Sythweaving.

Bioanalysis picks up bio mats used for Biochem: Implants, Adrenals, Medpacks, and Stims. You can also analyze many dead mob creatures that give you mats.

Once leveled up to a decent level (+30ish)and have a storage unit full of mats you can easily level up your crafting. By then you should have a decent bank roll. At level 50 I was able to drop any skill, and bring another skill up to 400 within a week, at which time you have 5 companions to send out at once.

Of course, all of this means nothing if you are playing by yourself, have no plans on rolling alt character(s) to support with your crafting or only want to craft stuff for yourself since most of the crafting stuff will be useless to you once highly leveled... But making epic gear for new alts makes leveling a cake walk.
            E Pluribus Unum

Comment

I find keeping my crafting skills high enough to create gear better than Heroic and FP drops is hard. Being a material farmer is a smart move if you can't be bother with crafting. And as you said, most crafters will actually craft stuff for you for free (or for very cheap) if you have the mats since it helps them level up their own skills.

Thanks for making this thread Angel.
              Viking

Comment

Make sure you have all your stuff equipped with epic 50 mods, and armoring, before running any HM Flashpoints. If you do the dailies, you can purchase epic level 51 armoring, barrels and hilts, from the Ilum mission support vendor at the first Republic base. This will be barrier entry to get in HM FP's. Those 51 epic upgrades are 8 daily commendations each.

Comment

SWTOR Flashpoints & Operations Map .. this is the image that I have been using to find the flashpoints

.. currently working on a complete list of where each FP is on each drop ship

--Gav Garagon mission deck--
                  Port Command Hangers - Directive 7
                  Upper Docking Level - Eternity Vault
                  Starboard Command Hangers - Tion/Kaon(Pick Up)
                  Starboard Operations Hanger - Karagga's???
                  Last edited by ANGELofDEATH; 03-23-2012, 12:21 PM.
                  E Pluribus Unum

Comment

Angel I think we found out you can run dailies from level 45 or so right?

- -

Comment

I also believe you can actually pick up the Ilum questline at level 48.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X