Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Thunder & TGU

Hello gents,

Was wondering which game we have here that could provide us with some very focused armored teams. In a few discussions, this title was suggested. I understand that this game allows more than one crewman in each tank. How are the roles broken up? Do you have a driver/commander/gunner? Do you have a few candidates that could represent TGU and help develop some SOP's that we could then take and apply to armor in our other games?

If you are interested or have a name to put forward please reply here or PM me. If you think another game might be better for this purpose or anything along that lines I'd love to hear your feedback & suggestions.

Thanks,
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    Dean TacticalGamer University
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Re: War Thunder & TGU

I wouldn't suggest this game for armor practice, like I wouldn't suggest learning how to field strip an AR from a musketeer. If you want to learn how to do proper armor then I suggest asking Bullseye, Buflak, AlmightyLion or Cougar. Those guys have a buttload of experience in combined arms and mechanized fighting. You might have trouble finding some of them though. They only come around once in a blue moon.

Comment

Project Reality allows driver, gunner commander teams. It also has a game mode where it tank vs tank.

Let me know if you want any more info.
      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

here is a video of PR armor VS armor for a example.

doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I've watched this the other week somewhere. It makes me wanna fire up PR again! I think this video is the one that got me thinking we should use our TG talents from some of our other games and get more input into TGU material. There is some good course material that is about to be released and I'm now starting to plan the next phase of content. Since we don't have PR anymore I'll be looking probably then to ArmA and to some extent PS2 for the armor lessons.

I like the idea of WoT but I understand it is generally one man to one tank. This may not be the best example for real world tactics. PS2 has a very arcade type engineer and very futuristic weapons so it's easy to take real world tactics into PS2 but maybe a little harder to get them out of it? Now, I only mean that on the superficial level but the general principles will be the same. I also intend to use video from all of these games in the courses.

PR, would have been a natural choice though. I'll share more here as I get into this course material and perhaps get you and others involved in the course development.
          |TG-189th| Unkl
          ArmA 3 Game Officer
          Dean of Tactical Gamer University
          189th Infantry Brigade Member
          SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
          "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

Let us know if we can help.

Ops has a PR server as well if that helps in any way.
            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Unkl View Post
              I understand that this game allows more than one crewman in each tank.
              The game does simulate multiple crewmen as items that can be damaged, but these roles are not played by humans, the human player is responsible for the whole tank eg vanilla bf2. It's exactly like WoT.

If you want armor gameplay though, Steel Beasts now offers a subscription option; it's ten dollars a month I think.

Comment

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "exactly like World of Tanks". Indeed, in simulator battles it may be as far from World of Tanks as a tank game may be while still keeping the one-player-per-tank method. It's got a lot more to offer:

- Historical tank configurations (No Tigers with KwK 43s)
                - Historical teams (Just Germany v. USSR so far in the Beta)
                - View locked to the top of the turret (commander's view)
                - No "vehicle hit points", tank is out of commission when crew is killed by shrapnel, fire, or ammo detonation
                - No instant-use fire extinguishers / repair kits. Repairs take a long time in simulation mode.
                - Gearboxes are simulated, a manual shifting mode is available.
                - Player and AI controlled aircraft and ground vehicles can fight on the same battlefield (though it still has a ways to go in terms of balance from beta)
                - Can play as mobile AA
                - No automatic compensation for projectile drop
                - No vehicle outlines
                - No enemy vehicle nametags
                - Visible crew on exposed guns or driving positions
                - Complex penetration modelling. Spalling is created when a shell penetrates, APHE shells can penetrate and then detonate based on their delayed fusing (meaning regular AP shells are much more deadly when they penetrate than APCR or HEAT).
                - No "invisible tanks", tanks can be spotted anywhere on the battlefield if you have the line-of-sight and a good eye
                - Maps which allow combat at extreme ranges (shoot over two kilometers if you want)
                - Secondary targets and objectives (supply trucks, AA guns, artillery and anti-tank guns)
                - AI controlled "creep" tanks which can bump the total tank numbers up to over 30 tanks per side

It's no substitute for Steel Beasts or Iron Front: Liberation in terms of modelling the interactions between player crew members, but I think that, especially considering its free-to-play nature, War Thunder has a lot to offer in terms of simulating larger-scale tank combat.
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X