I knew I wasn't crazy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew I wasn't crazy

Most American tanks are useless along with any tank that doesnt have a explosive shell - General Discussion - War Thunder - Official Forum

[MENTION=21321]Warlab[/MENTION] I told ya man. Something felt very wrong in the rounds we played. They have basically listened to the " 'Merica OP plz nerf" crowd and effectively doomed them. Guess I wont be playing my American line for a while.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: I knew I wasn't crazy

I've long ago decided that it's best to avoid Ground Forces for the next year or so. Gaijin has a lot of stuff to figure out before it becomes enjoyable for me to play on a regular basis. As it is, I tend to get frustrated quickly. Not through any lack of effectiveness, just the shake-your-head decisions and their effect on gameplay.

I've tested the recent changes myself. There is absolutely zero spall effect. If you don't hit a module, your APCR does nothing. HEAT has the same problem. Even hitting modules, it'll do next to nothing. With 75mm APCR, it took 12 shots to light a T-26 on fire. The 10 I had left couldn't kill a T-44. I used the entire test load of 22 75mm HEAT shells and didn't kill a KV-2. (one shell didn't penetrate) More than 8 shots went through the fuel tanks. Five went through the ammo rack. No fires. No detonation. I'm certain that the ONLY way to be even moderately effective with APCR now is to kill the entire crew of the enemy tank.

There's no question the US got shafted big-time on this one. Every 37mm, 76mm, 90mm, and 120mm gun is rendered almost impotent except in some cases where they can choose to fire an effective ammunition with 40% less penetration. Basically anything that isn't the Lee or a 75mm Sherman got screwed.

The Germans fair a lot better because every vehicle above a BR of 2.3 has access to excellent guns firing the Panzergranate 39 APHE shell. Every BR 3.0+ German tank (except the two 12.8cm vehicles, and the H1 Tiger and JagdIVL/70, which don't have APCR for some reason) does lose the effectiveness of their best ammunition, however their APHE typically has 70-85% the penetration of their APCR, only the Panzer IIIs and Tiger Is suffer the same 40% reduction in penetration of the American vehicles.

What vehicles does this not impact at all? The KV-2 and KV-85. The T-34/57 and 85(D5-T). The IS-2, IS-3 and IS-4. The SU-122, SU-85, SU-100, ISU-122 and 122S, and the SU/ISU-152 (unless you fire HEAT from a 152). Basically every tier 3+ Russian vehicle, excepting the Tier 4-5 medium line.

Now, I'm not one to scream "Brussian Rias" on the forums, but it's pretty obvious who comes out ahead in this patch. I honestly don't think Gaijoob changed this status quo on purpose, it's just another example of their occasional mind-boggling incompetence. They're not dumb people. They've made an excellent, entertaining game that looks gorgeous yet is fantastically well-optimized. They've added more features in a year than that other tank game added in its entire run since beta, including several that other team deemed "impossible".

I'd expect bonehead decisions from a poorly-made game. But War Thunder... isn't. No matter how much I might gripe about it. Why does it have so many glaring issues when the team obviously has a lot of talent?

Rampant typos. Poor localization. Base and airfield bomb-targets whose health doesn't scale with vehicle tier, so high-tier bombers, with even a modicum of protection, can end arcade battles in under 5 minutes. A premium-currency system that actually gives you a better return than World of Tanks/Planes (yes, I've done the math) yet manages to make it FEEL like you're getting ripped off. Weapons changes made apparently without testing (Minengeshoss was broken, then .50s were OP, then .50s were UP, then everything was OP because the DMs became paper, then .30s were OP, then .30s were UP (albeit probably historically accurately) then German 75mm APHE was broken and had the same after-armor effect as a 20mm. Now all non-APHE (or HE) rounds are broken.) Huge inconsistencies in the stock-grind experience for aircraft. Stock ground vehicles which don't have spare parts or fire extinguishers. Fire extinguishers that work instantly. Tanks in general being too difficult to kill, even with multiple APHE penetrations. Operating its game under the umbrella protection of "It's BETA!" while charging full-price for items and subscriptions. And don't even get me started on the matchmaking! (oops, too late. Arcade used for examples)

- The T-34 1940 at BR 2.7, where it dominates everything.
    - P-47s at 3.0, F8Fs at 5.0, Cannon-LaGGs at 2.0, Fw-190 D-9 at 4.7, and all the other obviously undertiered items.
    - Random premium aircraft which perform the same or better than their non-premium counterparts at the same or lower BR. (Fw190 D-13, Typhoon Mk Ib)
    - The poor, POOR Mk X Wellington bomber at Br 5.0, a bomber that is arguably a bit underpowered even in its identical Mk III version AT BR 3.3!
    - The Fw 190 A-5/U2, a plane with a Jet-BR of 6.0, which has to struggle through a grind with the performance of a 5.0 plane and the armament of a 4.0... because at the end it can slap on gun pods which give it 32% more weight of fire than its 5.3 counterpart the A-8... in exchange for much worse all-round performance than the A-8.
    - The I-16 Type 27 at 4.3, the Beaufighter Mk 21 at 4.7, the Do-217Ns at 4.0... And all the other obviously overtiered items.

I'm beginning to think that Bismarck (a primarily flight-sim Youtuber whose content I consider to be excellent) may have been on the mark when he said that there seems to be a lack of communication between different parts of the War Thunder team. He cites some examples, like the community team specifically stating that there would be no premium B-17s offered. (Less than a week later, the Japanese premium captured B-17 went on sale) It's far from the first, but it is perhaps the most obvious incident of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

In my mind, I just picture Gaijin HQ as 3 different buildings that don't talk - the developers, the producers, and the marketing department. (Note all buildings contain an equal number of employees)

/rant

It's a game I'll still keep playing, I'm just dreaming of the day this game graduates from a good game to a great game.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I'm not sure if they fixed it or not but my AP rounds for US tanks still do that shrapnel thing when they penetrate. I'm not sure if it's because I still don't know what ammo does what but I still kill things. However, I still have no idea how this angling or magical tank positions that make everything glance. It's gotten so bad I got into a fight with a Wirbelwind as a M4 and I was losing.

Comment

You can still pen, and it does create shrapnel. The trouble is they reduced the radius of it (IIRC) and now it doesn't affect the ammo racks. So no more, getting shots on the sides of American tanks to pop the turrets. Making it useless to get good position.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Solid shot must have been changed differently from APCR then, because (German) 75mm APCR and HEAT create no spall at all on the vehicles in the test environment.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X