Getting the Game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the Game?

Ok, you guys seem to be having fun, which has me interested: what am I missing?

I played the beta, went, meh, and went back to my counterstriking ways. Lately, however, the urge to replace my long gone Diablo II discs has been strong, despite the now usurious $20 new they ask for it.

So now, so far after the launch of the game, is it worth buying? If so, why?

How is this not going to become another Asheron's Call/Planetscape/Shadowbane/etc.?
    Last edited by Mateo; 08-18-2005, 03:52 PM.

Re: Getting the Game?

I'm interested in this as well.

Comment

Noooo!

WoW is a horrible game. It sucks up all your time and leaves you without any real FPS skills. It sucks those skills right out of you and completely befuddles you.

In honesty, It is a pretty fun game but VERY time consuming and VERY difficult to get away from.

There's a reason they call it World of WarCrack.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
        Noooo!

WoW is a horrible game. It sucks up all your time and leaves you without any real FPS skills. It sucks those skills right out of you and completely befuddles you.

In honesty, It is a pretty fun game but VERY time consuming and VERY difficult to get away from.

There's a reason they call it World of WarCrack.
        Says the guy who went right into WoW after 42nd practice.

Yeah, I saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
          Says the guy who went right into WoW after 42nd practice.

Yeah, I saw that.
          I didn't go into WoW after practice at all! I set myself as away and went to sleep.

I've played WoW for maybe 10 minutes in the past 60 days. I hardly ever fire it up as I rarely have the time to be able to devote to getting anything done in it.

Comment

I didn't go into WoW after practice at all! I set myself as away and went to sleep.

I've played WoW for maybe 10 minutes in the past 60 days. I hardly ever fire it up as I rarely have the time to be able to devote to getting anything done in it.
            That answers one question: don't play the game if you don't have time, right?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
              That answers one question: don't play the game if you don't have time, right?
              Correct.. At the lower levels it's not that bad, but after about a month of playing the time investment increases VERY rapidly to the point where you need a couple solid hours of straight playtime to get anything done.

Comment

__

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I don't tink that is big enough. :-)

Comment

Yeah...but ask Luna about WoW...she can't stay away!!! :row__681:
                    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

OK...I'm an old Ghost Recon hand that dearly loved the game. BF and BFVietnam were NOT replacements for GR. I spent over a year away from GR and TG, entertaining myself with Splinter Cell and Rome Total War (and its numerous mods...yeah, especially the mods).

So...in a fit of something...boredom/brain fart/old age...I decided to give this WoW thing a try. I was persuaded to it by reading the reviews and by watching the top scores assigned to the game on Gamespot and other similar sites. Even after other MMORPG's came out, nothing could unseat WoW from the top spot. OK, says I, I'll check this booger out.

Bottom line...I'm hooked...open another vein! It is VERY engaging in the best sense of RPG's. The graphics are good, the gameplay is balanced, and the storyline is complex and engaging. Add to that the teamwork and fun of TG/Teamspeak and the combination is for me a real winner. I even became a subscribing TG'r again!

The bad news is that it is a real time sponge. If it's not leveling up your character, it's creating/leveling another one for yourself or it's a new quest or a chance to go kill things with your guildmates or...well, you get the idea. :row__527:

We who are already addicted love to share the addiction. I'll look for you on Thunderhorn server where the TG guildies hang out!
                      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

In one sense, Apophis is right- it can be very time consuming. What he didn't mention was that you *can* entertain yourself with small quests here and there without any real time commitment, but you eventually really WANT to dedicate the time to the game. You end up setting goals for yourself when you see someone who just reached level 40 and gets their first mount and can gallop all around you, going double your speed. You see these nice quest rewards, and hear rumor about what happens at the end of the game, and it becomes exciting to take the steps to reach those goals.

Here's the thing about WOW that makes me play it so much- I love our community and how we bring what Tactical Gamer is all about into such a different genre and pull it off gloriously. Teamwork? Communication? Mature gaming? It's all here, just minus the camo and P90, with the addition of different classes, races, activities and ways to enjoy the game. It's very involved but very simple to pick up, particularly because the TG guild is always around to lend you a hand or direct you as needed to accomplish the goals you set.

So, while you can play it for a little here and a little there, it's difficult to do simply because it's alot of fun and engaging. Similar to crack? Absolutely. But the crack is SO GOOD, Mateo! :lol:

As for how it compares to the other games you mentioned, I wouldn't have any idea- this is the first MMORPG I've ever played. It's not a genre I am generally fond of, nor inclined to enjoy.

Hope to have you aboard soon, Mateo- I'll have your WOW IV prepped and ready for your dosage. ;)

Comment

Hey the chicks don't take off their clothes and dance in the city sqare in Gr or BF2.

But Wow is pure Electronic Crack.
                          "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

It is great fun. I am trying to get back into it after a few months of steady BF2 and Warhammer's DoW.

Time consuming, yes it can be, but I find I play it the same amount of time I would in a long night of FPS gaming.

I am still working on my dwarf warrior on Thunderhorn about lvl 20 now, so I haven't done much with TG, yet.
                            "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Comment

Well, I had it in my hands....thought about it for a minute, and put it back down-I'll think about it overnight.

I play alot of CS:S, and BF2, both of which take up significant amount of gaming time....I have to think about whether to expose myself to digital crack. :icon16:

Besides which, I'm going to be starting at level 1, and you guys are already at level 50+, so that means that there won't be anyone to group with on the lower level quests, right?

But I see the point about paying the monthly fee, when they keep adding things to the game.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X