File Planet: 14 Day Trial For Subscribers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Planet: 14 Day Trial For Subscribers

I've pretty much escaped the whole World of Warcraft thing.

I played the beta, thought, not my cup o' tea, and went on my merry way.

But I've got this Diablo II itch, and since all my disks are scratched beyond repair, I have three options:

1. Buy a new Diablo II Battlechest
    2. Forget D2, buy World of Warcraft, and suck up the monthly fees.
    3. Forget D2, buy Guild Wars.

I could add a fourth (wait for Orblivion), I suppose, but it's not a mutually exclusive thing.

Now, imagine my surprise when I log in to Fileplanet, and see this:

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions...ow_nonreg.aspx

Subscribers get 14 days of WoW free! After that, the game client expires, and you need to buy a retail copy.

So what do I need to see/do in the early stages of the game to get a real feel for World of Warcraft?

Re: File Planet: 14 Day Trial For Subscribers

Depends what you hated about WoW, imo. Some folks like/despise particular classes, and if you make the mistake of playing one of them, you're just punishing yourself. Race/starting area is another, as where you are affects how you perceive the game (and there are rather large differences in the areas - some are darn easy, others get annoying. Fast.).

Offhand, I'ld say pick the think closest to your favorite D2 character, start from there. If you have any particular classes you want more info on, just holler.

On a side note, I wonder if you're getting one of the promo accounts that isn't a full client. I've heard you can't trade, but don't recall any other specific limitations those promo clients are supposed to have. Matters a bit on whether or not your characters are actually yours (IE, you buy retail and then 'keep' the characters).

Finally, 14 days is enough to hit level 15-20 easily, so you'll see enough of the game to get the gist of it for everything up to level 55 or so, when you begin to raid instances primarily.
    So many scripts, so little time!

Comment

If you want something to play for a long time, don't get Guild Wars. As far as non-PvP content is concerned, the game is designed to shuttle you through as fast as possible after taking your money, thus removing the load you place on their servers.

PvP content is only truly enjoyable with a guild, and after a while the limited strategy and tactics that are involved become very repetitive.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
      |TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose
        Depends what you hated about WoW, imo. Some folks like/despise particular classes, and if you make the mistake of playing one of them, you're just punishing yourself. Race/starting area is another, as where you are affects how you perceive the game (and there are rather large differences in the areas - some are darn easy, others get annoying. Fast.).
        I don't think it was anything specific. I liked it, but not enough to stomach a monthly fee.

Now, almost a year later, my gaming mindset has changed. I don't need to chase after every new title, just give me a group of 4-5 titles that can keep me occupied, and I'm good.

Since D2 is out, unless I buy it again, I don't have a RPG in my game group.

Offhand, I'ld say pick the think closest to your favorite D2 character, start from there. If you have any particular classes you want more info on, just holler.
        I was big on paladins in D2: I don't recall a similar class in WoW. There are warriors and shamans right? Is there a "both" category?

On a side note, I wonder if you're getting one of the promo accounts that isn't a full client. I've heard you can't trade, but don't recall any other specific limitations those promo clients are supposed to have. Matters a bit on whether or not your characters are actually yours (IE, you buy retail and then 'keep' the characters).
        The terms at FP are you have 14 days to try the full client, then it expires, and you need to get yourself to the local game pusher to get the game. I don't think there are any specific limitations.

I had a beta character....wonder if it is still there.

Finally, 14 days is enough to hit level 15-20 easily, so you'll see enough of the game to get the gist of it for everything up to level 55 or so, when you begin to raid instances primarily.
        Hmmm, sounds good.

Which server are you all on? Any server I should avoid?

Comment

I don't have a pally above lvl 15, but from what I've heard/seen, Pallys are the support class and are meant to be grouped with others. They are average in most areas and complete the group well. Solo play can be a bit slower.

We're on Thunderhorn on Alliance side. Classes to choose from:
          --Warrior
          --Paladin
          --Priest
          --Rogue
          --Hunter
          --Mage
          --Warlock
          --Druid (Night Elf only)

Not all classes are available on all races. The hunter is only available in Night Elf and Dwarf, and the paladin is only Human and Dwarf. Look around when making a character.

There are also a couple ways to play the game. I went with a "what do I think I would be" approach and chose hunter. I haven't turned back since and am actually making a hunter alt to better learn the class. Having a pet is fun to deal with. Warlocks also have a "pet" of sorts for certain abilities.

In my opinion, if you liked warrior and shaman on D2, you might like the Druid. Sounds like a stretch I know, but the druid adapts to the situation. Both healing and feral combat allows you to heal as you wish while still acting like a warrior or a rogue...and the early quests to get your forms were nice from a story-line aspect. What do you guys think.

Nice to see ya again Mateo...

Comment

hey mateo i got D2 disks sitting here somewhere if you want them....never used online or anything....
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
              hey mateo i got D2 disks sitting here somewhere if you want them....never used online or anything....
              Sure, PM me with a price!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X