"World of Warcraft hackers using Sony BMG rootkit"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "World of Warcraft hackers using Sony BMG rootkit"

This has been in the news for the last couple weeks. I am sure none of you are cheaters/Hackers, but this is something you should know about.
    here is an article, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...focus_wow_bot/ that I will try to explain a little better.

First you need to know what a "Root kit" is. A Root kit is basicly a hack for windows that will allow hackers to hide programs on your computer. These are not the normal "Hidden" files. these files do not show up when you do searches for hidden files, they dont show up for Virus scanners or Spyware Scanners.

Whats this have to do with you? Well Sony/BMG Music has decided that your rights as a computer user dont mean anything and they have used a Root Kit to Hide there Copy Protection Software on your computer! This software was designed to limit your use of that new Music you just bought, Stopping you from Copying over to MP3 players and buring it to another CD. Problem is they dont even ask our permission to do this or even let you know in any way at all. Exposing your computer to some serious vulnorabilities.

Whats this got to do with us? Well Hackers/Cheaters/Farmers have learned how easy it is to use this Sony Root Kit to hide there Cheat programs from Blizzards Scanners. simply by adding $f$ to the front of any files name it will become hidden to any normal scanner. This is what todays patch is trying to fix. I do not know the method they are useing but this new Launcher software they have will be looking for the Sony Root Kit, I do not know what Blizzard will do if they find it on your computer. but If you have recently purchased Any music CDs from any Artist under contract with Sony/BMG Music you need to know about this. Sony has even pulled all the effected Music off Store Shelfs, they have released a Uninstaller (however some say the uninstaleer is worse than the Root Kit) they are taking alot of heat in the press and over the Net, there is even talk about Law Suites. Microsoft and several other companies have released Statemants condeming Sony for this.

Please do not give Blizzard any flack for this new launcher they have now, They must take measures to insure the integrity of the game. I am sur eif any of you have played the Diablo Series on Battlenet you know how much he game has been screwed over by cheaters and hackers, none of us want this to happen to World of Warcraft, I applaude blizzard for coming out so soon with software to combat this problem.

Re: "World of Warcraft hackers using Sony BMG rootkit"

Originally posted by Barb
    This has been in the news for the last couple weeks. I am sure none of you are cheaters/Hackers, but this is something you should know about.
    here is an article, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...focus_wow_bot/ that I will try to explain a little better.

First you need to know what a "Root kit" is. A Root kit is basicly a hack for windows that will allow hackers to hide programs on your computer. These are not the normal "Hidden" files. these files do not show up when you do searches for hidden files, they dont show up for Virus scanners or Spyware Scanners.

Whats this have to do with you? Well Sony/BMG Music has decided that your rights as a computer user dont mean anything and they have used a Root Kit to Hide there Copy Protection Software on your computer! This software was designed to limit your use of that new Music you just bought, Stopping you from Copying over to MP3 players and buring it to another CD. Problem is they dont even ask our permission to do this or even let you know in any way at all. Exposing your computer to some serious vulnorabilities.

Whats this got to do with us? Well Hackers/Cheaters/Farmers have learned how easy it is to use this Sony Root Kit to hide there Cheat programs from Blizzards Scanners. simply by adding $f$ to the front of any files name it will become hidden to any normal scanner. This is what todays patch is trying to fix. I do not know the method they are useing but this new Launcher software they have will be looking for the Sony Root Kit, I do not know what Blizzard will do if they find it on your computer. but If you have recently purchased Any music CDs from any Artist under contract with Sony/BMG Music you need to know about this. Sony has even pulled all the effected Music off Store Shelfs, they have released a Uninstaller (however some say the uninstaleer is worse than the Root Kit) they are taking alot of heat in the press and over the Net, there is even talk about Law Suites. Microsoft and several other companies have released Statemants condeming Sony for this.

Please do not give Blizzard any flack for this new launcher they have now, They must take measures to insure the integrity of the game. I am sur eif any of you have played the Diablo Series on Battlenet you know how much he game has been screwed over by cheaters and hackers, none of us want this to happen to World of Warcraft, I applaude blizzard for coming out so soon with software to combat this problem.

Ahh, so the rootkit was part of last night's update that I downloaded? Hrm. I'm loving the trial, but I have a real issue with these DRM measures.

Maybe I'll run the game via CEDEGA, that way I can isolate the rootkit from the rest of my system: any rootkit on a HD is a security liability that I can't stomach.

Comment

more info on this topic.. saw this yesterday http://www.technewsworld.com/story/47365.html

Comment

I have heard about this - Thanks for the post, it's a good reminder...

that sony stinks

Comment

They bought Everquest. Made Everquest 2. I quit both for many reasons, SoE (Sony online Entertainment) being the biggest.
          So many scripts, so little time!

Comment

Hate to say it, but as much as you may not like Sony, they're probably not going anywhere. As one of the biggest companies in the world, not even a shady program, which also happens to be a computer hijacker's dream, forcefully installed in order to enjoy the media you paid for; is going to bring them down.

This whole deal was a huge bonus for Apple. At least from what I read, their anti-piracy stuff has no effect on a Mac.
            RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
              Ahh, so the rootkit was part of last night's update that I downloaded? Hrm. I'm loving the trial, but I have a real issue with these DRM measures.

Maybe I'll run the game via CEDEGA, that way I can isolate the rootkit from the rest of my system: any rootkit on a HD is a security liability that I can't stomach.
              Mateo,

That is what I do. It runs 10x faster on Linux with Cedega then it ever did in Windows. It is nice to be able to switch desktops and get out of the game while it is still running.

Kemo.
              Kemotaha

Comment

Now that the cheater writers have been introduced to rootkits, they'll be able to write custom ones that better evade detection. Detecting Sony's is pretty easy, but a custom one might be a lot harder to detect. Warden will now have to incorporate rootkit detection technology, which can be a lot more resource-intensive, as it must carefully compare the raw disk to what's visible in the filesystem and compare raw memory to what's reported by the system state-query API's.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Will it never end?

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/17...t_roundup.html
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Kemotaha
                    Mateo,

That is what I do. It runs 10x faster on Linux with Cedega then it ever did in Windows. It is nice to be able to switch desktops and get out of the game while it is still running.

Kemo.
                    Cool. I'll do that after I have the retail version of the game. I'm not sure I can copy the trial installer over to a DVD to load it to my linux partition.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo

It sounds like you took what I had said the wrong way, the new patch does not install any rootkits, only software to detect them.

I have been trying to keep up with the Sony Root Kit problem. Theres even more knews lately from some security companiies saying that Sony's uninstaller for the Root kit is actually worse then the Root kit itself, It leaves files on your computer that some web sites are now useing to install spyware/malware ony our computer.

Sony has actually been doing bad profit wise in the last couple Quarters, with the Xbox 360 coming out tuesday beating Sony to the punch be maybe a whole year, SOE having to refund buyers of the new Star Wars Galaxies newest expansion, there growing list of players running from SWG like a plague for there constant changes of the core game. And probably soon they will be hit with law suites from the computer software faction.... sure they are huge, but they have really taken a beating lately and it isn't about to let up anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Barb
                        It sounds like you took what I had said the wrong way, the new patch does not install any rootkits, only software to detect them.

I have been trying to keep up with the Sony Root Kit problem. Theres even more knews lately from some security companiies saying that Sony's uninstaller for the Root kit is actually worse then the Root kit itself, It leaves files on your computer that some web sites are now useing to install spyware/malware ony our computer.

Sony has actually been doing bad profit wise in the last couple Quarters, with the Xbox 360 coming out tuesday beating Sony to the punch be maybe a whole year, SOE having to refund buyers of the new Star Wars Galaxies newest expansion, there growing list of players running from SWG like a plague for there constant changes of the core game. And probably soon they will be hit with law suites from the computer software faction.... sure they are huge, but they have really taken a beating lately and it isn't about to let up anytime soon.
                        Yeah, I think I did.

Still going to run it on linux anyway.:D

Comment

But Sony has its fingers in many many more things than even I can imagine. Their pride may be hurt, but in the end, Sony will still be Sony.
                          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
                            But Sony has its fingers in many many more things than even I can imagine. Their pride may be hurt, but in the end, Sony will still be Sony.
                            User Friendly has an series on this this week....

The best of which is:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20051115

Comment

Arg!! I almost choked when reading that.... Thats a terrible trick to play on someone. *finishes coughing*

L.
                              M.
                              A.
                              O.
                              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X