Love your Main

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love your Main

One of the areas where our guild is lacking is having a sufficient number of well-outfitted and skilled level 60 players. As we saw in our MC outing, even with a little help from non-guildies, we had less than 25 turn out for a 40 person raid.

There are two points I want to make.

First, show a little love for your main 'toon. Getting to level 60, while a major accomplishment, is only a start of a new aspect of WoW. Because the focus changes from gaining xp to gaining items/gear/set pieces/profession skills, and those can be hard (if not impossible) to do alone, it can be tempting to use your knowledge to level up a new 'toon and to take a "go slow" approach with the main character. Most of us, in fact, have alts that we are working on in one stage or another. That's a good thing...BUT...not if it takes needed time away from having a really strong, well-equipped, knowledgeable and skilled main character. By all means, you should play WoW in the way that suits you, but I'm hyper-aware for myself of the need to invest time/energy/gold into each character at level 60. You need the right gear for serious end-game instances (not to mention the upcoming expansion) and you need the knowledge of how to really play your character in a group.

Second, support, encourage and help other guild members to level up their main characters. We are fortunate to have so many new guildies who are experienced gamers with TG history, and we need and want them to be successful and happy with their choice to spend time in Azeroth with us. This support and help should include helping newer level 60's to complete the many 5-man instance quests needed even at that level...Silithus, Scholo, Strat, LBRS, UBRS, BRD. It goes without saying that any or all lower level guildies can use help anywhere, anytime.
    Last edited by beep; 12-08-2005, 05:48 PM.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Love your Main

I agree Beep, I pretty much only play my main. I really enjoy attempting to master playing my class and take it "to the next level". Still working on that, but hell, still having a great time.

Cheers

Comment

Yeah all I play is my main. This is mainly because I am so far behind level wise compared to most people in the guild. It becomes hard at times to get quests done because of this though, everybody is grouping with the other higher levels to do the higher level quests and what not. At times I can find help to get help with quests but the majority of the time it is difficult, understandable yet still difficult.

Comment

While I understand where you are coming from, I don't think its right to discourage people to play their alts.

I'm fairly new to the WoW Scene here, but not to TG, and in my experience it hasn't ever been "You need the highest level and the best stuff"

Everyone has that as a goal, so I'm not saying it's not thought of, but it's not the most important part of the game. I really would like to help out in the upper level instances, and indeed I feel left out when I can't because I showed up much later. It's just what happens, I'll get through it.

I'm not at any point near when I'd make more alts (Already have 3 chars) But It's not going to be my concern to have a fully specced out uber character. At least that won't be my driving point. My concern will be to have fun with the game, not just drone through the same instances over and over to get pieces of armor.

I'm happy to drone through instances for a while, but not forever.

With other types of games it's often hard to see the differences in speediness, as most other games are short, with MMORPG's, you don't necessarily have an end. But unfortunately with them, since they're playable nearly all day every day, it really defines the differences as far as someone's speed of playing. Need to be respectful of how people play the game.

Sorry, I just get a bad taste in my mouth when I think of TG becoming 't3h 31337357 6ui1d in t3h 53rv3r' based on equipment and level. There are other things that define it.

I agree wholly with the part where you said to play WoW in the way that suits you. I Acknowledge that it is everyone's goal to have the best all around character they can. I don't agree with the comment about playing alts unless it interferes with your 60.
        RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Vin,

I understand your point and agree completely.

I don't think that is what Beep is saying, at least I don't think that is what he intends to say. I think what he is trying to say, is that once you hit 60, don't drop that character and go get another one to 60. He is saying that playing alts is fine, but don't forget your 60 character too. Like he said, hitting 60 isn't the end of the game but it is where you change how you play. It brings a new dynamic to the game.

Beep plays a bunch of different characters, and I think we could reverse the message and say "Don't forget your alts".

I know that there are people in the guild that want to run the higher lvl instances. We need to realize that it will take some different gear that what we got at lvl 58 or 59.

Most of all we need to remember why we joined TG, to have fun and play with mature people. We don't have to be the L33T guild ( I couldn't read all the leet speek, Vin) but we should be the guild that has the most fun.

Kemo
          Kemotaha

Comment

Just reminding, thats all.

I don't try to be pessimistic or whatnot, just to note the alternative options, and I'll point them out if I see them if only to help others get a wider view of the picture. (In this case a picture I have only seen up to the 42nd level of myself.)

Translation for l33t: The elitest guild in the server

=)
            RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I have to agree with Beep. We have attracted several memebers because we say we are " gearing up for end game" I heard that two months ago unfortunately I'm hearing the same thing two months later. Some may not care for end game. Fine. But I'm not going to sacrifice my goals of endgame and uber loot so I can assist in the leveling of another alt.

It's frustrating to say the least watching 3 more alts joining the guild when it should be 3 new players. We have lost several to end game guilds. Others move their mains to end game guilds but keep their alts here asking us to help power level them. This isn't fair to others in the guild who have been waiting for end game instances.

As for running the same instances over and over... Isn't that what your doing with alts? Completing the same quests repetitively? Unfortunately we all have different ideas of fun.

I won't lie . Yes I have thought of leaving for endgame. The way things are looking if I want to be able to see and do the larger instances I feel I may have no other choice. I'm sick of leveling other peoples alts. Yes I have two other alts one I will only play to 35 to get alchemy up. The other I may keep. But is not my priority. Leveling alts isn't fun for everyone. I don't want to wait to do MC until after the patch and everyone levels all their alts to 70. Zerging an instance isn't fun to everyone.

I’m saying all this because I've heard like sentiments from several others but it's always drowned out by the " everyone has different ideas of fun.." and "we want everyone to be able to play their way"

Vin you may not want to be part of an elite Guild.. I don't want TG to be known as a place to level your alts. The light at the end of the end game tunnel seems to be dimming with each new alt I see created.

Comment

It doesn't have to be known as a place to level your alts but you also have to remember that some people, though few, have low level mains that need help leveling. I myself have a level 21 Dwarf Warrior and lots of times i sit around killing random things because I can't find a group to help me with a quest that I just can't do by myself. If you want more people to show up for end game instances then those of us lower levels need help getting leveled or it is going to take us a long long time to get there.

Comment

I have one character on Thunderhorn. That's it. He's a level 20 NE Hunter.

I like getting a chance to play with the rest of the guild, but don't really get a chance to that often, because most, if not all, of you are >Level 50.

Apophis and Luna have helped with some quests and levelling with some of their low level alts, and that's been a big help with both learning the game, and getting a feel for how the Guild works.

Those two things cannot be overlooked, I think, as we try to building our characters, and the guild.

I don't think the things are mutually exculsive.

You can level your main, and still help out a noob like myself with Deadmine or BFD.

You can also help someone get their legs underneath them by showing them the travel routes between cities and islands.

In the other games here, particularly in Professional CounterStrike and Falcon 4.0, we have training sessions. Perhaps that idea can be modified for the Guild in some way, either by class, region, or instance.

There could also be a "group combat" orientation, something that might prevent Beep from having to put up more "know your role" threads. :icon19:

You could even do a "Help a Brotha Out" level night, one night a week where we get all our mains out and grab some XP and Loot for the greater good of the Guild.

There is a balance to be struck, I think. The high level players do not have to give up the endgame instances in favor of helping the Guild, but with some creative thinking and some charity (your time), we can get everyone on the same page.

Comment

I was a bit stressed out last night, slightly sarcastic, It's really not fun when you hear from your employer that they're cutting 7-19.4% of your pay due to a separate company altogether going bankrupt.

But I still stand by what I'm sayin. TG is strong and grows for reasons other than being the best, or being an endgame guild. It has great people in it, and that should be all that people think about when deciding whether they stay or leave for these endgame guilds.

I hope I am not angering anyone because of what I'm saying, It's just I've been really confused as to what the Goal of TG in WoW. My assumption was that it's to have fun in a mature manor. Leaving out the specifics and keeping it broad and open for everyone to enjoy.

Hopefully someone can give me some insight here. And if the goal is still being formed, I request that you do not ignore the little ones.
                    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Comment

I agree with you Vin, I figured I pretty much knew what TG as a guild was trying to accomplish, ... but maybe I need to look into it more. I love the people here and I'd like to know what I'm supposed to be shooting for. :)

Comment

Vin, asking what kind of guild we are does not lead to a simple answer. Part of it is that it's like asking the blind wise men to describe the elephant (each one holding only a tail, ear, leg, etc.).

My view is that TG's WoW guild is a "big tent" where we welcome all levels and classes and we accomodate a variety of game goals. Some are almost exclusively PVP and rarely seen in instances. Others are almost exclusively instance-oriented. Others have 4 or more alts that they work on. Some are first timers to WoW, while others have been around since the game was released. I expect we'll never fit a single, simple definition in terms of the game.

I think that our most distinguishing characteristic is that of the people we have and the community that exists as a result. Not unlike the other TG communities, we are generally mature, respectful and friendly, welcoming newcomers.

If you see differences in the game (e.g. lvl 60's with their instance/gear focus), that is more a product of the game influencing the player goals. IMHO there are three (at least) distinct phases of game play...first is that of leveling up. Second is that of preparation for end-game where level 60s work to get set piece gear and finish off skills/professions. Third is that of end-game (Molten Core/Zul Gurub/Onyxia/Blackwing Lair). PVP could be a phase all by itself.

TG stands at the threshold of end game...many level 60s who are ready or nearly so for end game instances. One dilemma is that the big end-game instances are typically 40 man instances and not really workable with fewer people. I'd like us to be able to do those instances...hence my post to "love your main" so we can have guildies ready, willing and able to tackle that end-game PVE content.

By no means would I denigrate the other phases of the game or those whose goals are not end-game. I personally miss those who have left us for end-game content and look forward to the day when we can offer that to our members as part of our "big tent".
                        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Yea, thats basically what TG is, a big tent where the only thing that matters is your desire to play the game.

I'm seriously not trying to cause trouble here, and hope I am not, I'm just concerned about alot of stuff, and I've been in places that have no qualms about leaving me and others behind. I don't feel that this is a place that'd do that, but this reminds me of the precursors of the past. Forgive me for being a bit paranoid, but I would prefer that diddn't happen.
                          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Comment

Thank you for saying that Beep. Phantom I by no means meant to ignore the new lower level players. I would actually encourage people to help them level so we have more quality players at level 60. But also understand we have players with several level 60's who get to level then create an alt. The game does not end at level 60 there is bigger and better out there.

Yet without some focus in this area we will stagnate and loose valuble players to end game guilds. Not because they don't enjoy TG but because they want bigger challenges and are more than ready for that next step. Do we help them get there or do we hold them back asking for " more time"

And how long are poeple who want end game going to listen to " more time"

Comment

Well the question then becomes: do we have 40 players ready for an endgame instance, and if not, how are we going to get them?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X