Teamwork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teamwork

I think we've all had the experience of partying with a pick-up group that just doesn't "click", where wipes are too frequent and coordination is...well, uncoordinated. When that happens, I come back afterward to the TG "house" and think to myself..."stick with your guildies".

Part of what makes TG work is better communications, but IMO that's only an enabler, not a why. The "why" is a concept of working cooperatively to achieve our game goals.

Apophis said it well in the Tactical Gamer Primer post where two of the three goals of creating the Tactical Gamer community were (bold type added by me for emphasis)
    Create an environment where there was mutual respect for your fellow gamers and where all members would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.

Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing superior real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging advantages provided to players by the design of the game engine.

The point to this discussion for me is that TG's WoW community is intended to be more than a collection of individuals who hang out together or who join forces occasionally to take down a tough boss. We are created around the concept of TEAMPLAY...of working together in a way to maximize the team results. This means that damage dealers have to moderate their output so as not to steal aggro from the melee types. It means that parties must wait for the tank(s) to establish aggro for a few seconds BEFORE nuking the target. It means that individual output of damage or healing is NOT the point of the group. WoW is NOT a run-n-gun FPS game, especially not at the higher end.

There is a moral to this rant. The moral is that the skills and tactics you employ for success as a solo player while grinding/leveling/farming have to be adjusted to fit into the TG idea of teamwork. If you aren't willing to learn that, then TG may not be the best place for you.

So my advice to our guildies, especially those coming up the level ranks:
    1. Learn to play your character well
    2. Learn how other classes work and can complement your character.
    3. Learn effective party tactics.
    4. Have fun!

At the guild leadership level we are working hard to put together good, useful, practical information about how to actually do some of things this post recommends. Stay tuned for more!
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Teamwork

I agree with your points Beep, and I can only think that as whole we are a young team going through some growing pains. Im having a great time working on developing my skillZorZ.

Comment

Nothing shows me the strength of TG's teamwork like our 5 man runs. BRD last night (for those of you that dont know, run by Beep, Crebis, Liseryoth, Manny and I)was phenomenal.

TG's raids are still some of the best ive been on. We have some excellent leaders and excellent people willing to let the leader lead. But we absolutely shine in those 5 man runs. I have 5 manned BRD a few times now, and the last couple times have been with the weirdest groups, and we are always doing great.

Knowing your skills, spells, abilities, ect. makes such a big difference. To be able to expand yourself as a character to push your own limits and really think about what the party needs, how your roles need to switch in combat and when something you know might be useful to the group as a whole.

Im hopelessly addicted to endgame, and trying new and harder things. I could be running 5 mans through all night....

lol, unless it's an UBRS raid, Kossi still needs her Lightforge breastplate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossi
        Nothing shows me the strength of TG's teamwork like our 5 man runs. BRD last night (for those of you that dont know, run by Beep, Crebis, Liseryoth, Manny and I)was phenomenal.
        One of the highlights of this outing was a bold attempt to have Crebis's pet attack a far distant torchbearer in the Lyceum and kite him back (with a "few" adds) to the main doorway. Fine! First torchbearer went off without a major hitch...brought a couple of groups with him, but worked great. Second torchbearer was a VERY different story. I've never even SEEN so many adds. One quick count (after the fact) from the combat logs was 68 dwarf mobs. Now they only do 25 damage each per attack, but that's 68 times 25 or 1,700 per attack round. We lasted about 10 seconds. We may have been able to last a second or two more, but we were laughing too hard to play well. Priceless!.

After running back to the instance, we rethought our approach and moved in a more traditional manner up the aisles, taking on two groups at a time (seems to be the minimum possible there) until we could light the braziers and open the doors to the room with Magma and then the Emperor's room. We were all breathing hard (!) from the excitement of managing this in a 5 man "unbalanced" group (two pallys, no mage). After running the Lyceum Gauntlet, the emperor and his cronies were only a minor irritation :row__523:

Good job by all and a great example of working together to make this outing a success.

I gotta tell you that 5 manning a 10 man raid instance (Strat, Scholo, BRD) is hard work but creates some of the best moments I've ever had with WoW.
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

i think in a pug, people dont listen to the leader of the group, also, there is a lack of communication. IE, if there are 2 priests, they will both think they are the main healer(even when the leader has specified what their roles are), therefor concentrate heals on the MT, with both of them, thinking that the other healer will heal the rest of the party members, leaving them to die a horrible and painfull death; The same thing goes with the Hunters. Both hunters will try to be the 'better hunter'(i have seen this alot, when in a grp with chair, and assigned the puller, the other hunter will still pull when told not to) and being a hunter to the bone, i still have to say that in a pug, most problems are caused by hunters. therefor, i have for the most part, given up on joining in on pugs, and i removed the LFG(default 4 i think) from my chat channel. some things are best left in guild.