OT Trials of loading Norton AntiVirus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Trials of loading Norton AntiVirus

I loaded Norton AV yesterday thinking "Norton AV along with AntiVir....I should be good to go". After loading NAV, my laptop decides to sit idle. It showed CPU at 2% but nothing would respond to clicking. It took over 5 minutes for the Windows tab to come up. Then it took 2 hours for the control panel to come up. I then was able to START the removal of NAV. That only took 3 hours to complete. I am back to normal now (without NAV). I am wondering if I should disable AntiVir and try again.

Anyways, that's why I wasn't in game until late Sunday.

Re: OT Trials of loading Norton AntiVirus

Originally posted by Altor
    I loaded Norton AV yesterday thinking "Norton AV along with AntiVir....I should be good to go". After loading NAV, my laptop decides to sit idle. It showed CPU at 2% but nothing would respond to clicking. It took over 5 minutes for the Windows tab to come up. Then it took 2 hours for the control panel to come up. I then was able to START the removal of NAV. That only took 3 hours to complete. I am back to normal now (without NAV). I am wondering if I should disable AntiVir and try again.

Anyways, that's why I wasn't in game until late Sunday.
    ClamAV.

http://www.clamwin.com/

Free, open source, daily updates, low overhead.

Comment

Used Norton for years...got tired of the buggy upgrades and impossibility to uninstall....

Replaced it with Zone Alarm Security Suite (Computer Associates software) and haven't looked back. If you want a retail solution, I'm happy with it.
      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

AVG...its free and doesnt use any resources, even can scan under heavey usage
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

I second the use of AVG. I'm a PC tech and have tried Norton, McAfee (sp?), Zone Alarm and AVG. So far I like AVG the best.
          Chris: Dad, I tried to go to school but this guy won't let me.
          Peter: Oh yeah? Him and what army?
          Chris: The U.S. Army.
          Peter: Oh, that's a good army.

Family Guy

Comment

What's worse, the Virus, or the Antivirus?

I despise Norton.

A friend of mine spent two to three hours one night cleaning the registry of Norton files just to get it 'Uninstalled'
            RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
              What's worse, the Virus, or the Antivirus?

I despise Norton.

A friend of mine spent two to three hours one night cleaning the registry of Norton files just to get it 'Uninstalled'
              I have no problems with Norton at all. I'm actually surprised to see so many people WITH problems. Granted, I don't install the entire Norton sweet. Just the AV app and that's it.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I dont know what version he was using, but I did see the files in there it left behind. It was alot.

Norton does work okay, unless you try to uninstall it, in my past experiences.
                RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I actually use Symantecs business AV. It is smaller than Norton but essential the same since they are produced by the same company. Plus the updates are free :)
                  Kemotaha

Comment

Functionally, NAV worked well for me...until it needed updating...or updating to a newer Suite of Norton items. Then it was a bear that wouldn't fully uninstall (following their recommendations), required extensive trips to their tech support website (with long, complicated fixes, IMO). This hassle for administering it for me got worse each year. After 4 years, I uninstalled...and then meticulously went through register clean up, etc.

I installed Zone Alarm Security Suite 2 years ago and have been happy with it.

While there are other technically sound solutions that may be free or technically better, I didn't (and don't) feel competent to make those judgements. Threads like this one are helpful for all.
                    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by Kemotaha
                      I actually use Symantecs business AV. It is smaller than Norton but essential the same since they are produced by the same company. Plus the updates are free :)
                      Kinda sorta.. It has the same engine inside, but everything else is different. The Symantec Corporate version is actually based on the Intel LanDesk product which Norton bought and threw their scanning engine in, which can be seen by the registry entries it makes. I'd never use the consumer Norton, but the SAV product works just fine.. It's been used at 3 places where I've worked and I've not had a problem with it (supporting computers at all 3..).
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

norton is by far the WORST antivirus u could get, by 'speeding up' your computer, u are basically trading off viruses for background programs dragging your computer, AVG like Mateo said is a good alternative.