Template testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Template testing

As you may or may not have already noticed, I'm testing a new template with the WoW forums. More on this will be unveiled VERY shortly, but this template will remain in place until I have completed my testing. Expect to see it in this form for at least the next 10-12 hours.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Template testing

OMG. I can't decide if I like it or not. I mean, it's appropriate, but it's also ugly.

Comment

Thanks for getting this up, not sure if I like it yet or not but it is appropriate like Mateo said.

Comment

Personally, I could take it or leave it. But we'll have some discussions tonight in the WoW meeting and figure out what our options are and what direction we should go.

Comment

Yeah it definitely gives it a better feel for the WoW people, but being a Web Design major I am real picky about my designs.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
            OMG. I can't decide if I like it or not. I mean, it's appropriate, but it's also ugly.
            ROFL...you're just used to wearing camo contact lenses, Mateo!!! I could live with almost any color scheme but pink...:row__628:

What Apo has done currently is at least thematically similar to Blizz's WoW scheme.
            Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I love the creativity. I love the idea.

I could imagine some pretty ugly stuff could come out of this effort, but I happen to have good first impressions for what I see now.

Again... love the idea. Really sets the mood.

Apophis, how many hours of effort, across all of the resources involved in what we see now, has been required to create what we see so far? I'm curious to know what it takes to do this to a specific forum.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak

I could imagine some pretty ugly stuff could come out of this effort, but I happen to have good first impressions for what I see now.

Apophis, how many hours of effort, across all of the resources involved in what we see now, has been required to create what we see so far? I'm curious to know what it takes to do this to a specific forum.
                What are you thinking about something for NS?

Should be fairly straightforward, I should think.

If WoW then template =wowtemplate.css or something.

Comment

Well, that question comes from both the GO and the developer in me. Yeah, something like this would be no less fun for the NS forum than it is for the WoW (or any other game) forum here, but I'd also like to know from a developer standpoint.

Sure, but you've got to create the graphics, plan the design, etc. It's more than specifying a CSS stylesheet. So, I'm just wondering how long all of this takes, overall.

Apophis, if there's a technical side of this that you think I'm overlooking, I'd love to hear about that, too.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by beep
                    ROFL...you're just used to wearing camo contact lenses, Mateo!!! I could live with almost any color scheme but pink...:row__628:

What Apo has done currently is at least thematically similar to Blizz's WoW scheme.
                    No, I just like my TACTICAL GAMER gaming activities to look like part of the community, not Tactical only in name.

Minority of 1, of course.

Comment

hot stuff apo...this will really help for our recruitment!

-Hold onto the pin, throw the other part

Comment

I think the new template is a step in the right direction. I like it better than the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak

You're looking at about 100-120 hours of work between the tweaking of the template to work with the site, the custom CMS integration (which I have not unveiled yet), the template integration and some custom 301 redirects to make the thing Google friendly.

The biggest problem is that it now takes 200% longer to do any upgrades to the site when new versions of vBulletin are released. I need to do all the template modifications for both templates rather than just one. So rather than it taking me 4-6 hours to complete an upgrade, I will be looking at 8-12 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                            You're looking at about 100-120 hours of work between the tweaking of the template to work with the site, the custom CMS integration (which I have not unveiled yet), the template integration and some custom 301 redirects to make the thing Google friendly.

The biggest problem is that it now takes 200% longer to do any upgrades to the site when new versions of vBulletin are released. I need to do all the template modifications for both templates rather than just one. So rather than it taking me 4-6 hours to complete an upgrade, I will be looking at 8-12 hours.
                            That is not good news. Given the size of the community and the general complexity of it, anything that adds complexity cannot be good.

Apophis, can't you have ideas that don't create a ton more work for yourself?:icon19:

Comment

hottness, i miss the diff-color stickies tho, i thought they were all removed