End-game pacing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End-game pacing

As part of the move toward more end-game content, I want to take a moment to share some thoughts about this. Bits have shown up in various threads or in guild chat or other spots. By starting a thread, my hope is to stimulate some thinking about end-game and the actions and attitudes needed.

Preparation: You need to get your main toon leveled and equipped. And you need to do it sooner rather than later. If you are already there, then you get a gold star on your forehead!!! That means keys, attunement, set pieces and FR gear. In my experience, this takes a long time and many runs through Scholo, Strat, BRD, LBRS and UBRS. Now...once you have all this neat stuff (Valor, Lightforge, Beaststalker, etc) you have a whole range of gear upgrades...plus the next tier up of set pieces. This is what you go to ZG, MC and AQ20 for. In my case, I've been at level 60 longer than it took me to get there...and I'm still basically "pre-MC" geared with a couple of epics and good blue gear. If you can do it faster than I did, you get my congratulations and +50 DKP!!!

Respeccing: Your character needs to be specced for group success. It will almost certainly gimp your farming ability or your PVP ability. The talents that you used to solo and level up are RARELY what you need for raid effectiveness. Get over it! Either you are willing to take one for the team or you will handicap the team. We've got lots of discussion about respeccing...and you'll see more. I expect we'll see class leaders as resources for this.

Attitude: We need to declare war on end-game! We should be passionate about learning the raid instances and the bosses. We need to be pushing our leaders for more scheduled raids. We need to work together to create an attitude of progress, KNOWING that we will not one-shot every boss until we learn it. Taking down the end-game bosses requires sound tactics, good leadership, the right gear and the right attitude to do what the leader requires. THIS IS NOT SOLO TACTICS IN A GROUP SETTING! Hunters will work without pets. Rogues will work without poison. Warlocks have to be selective in their DOTs. Warriors will mostly stay in Defensive Stance with a one-hander and shield. Healers will NOT cast DPS spells. Every class has to adjust for end-game raids.

Raid SOPs: Posted elsewhere. Read it and heed it. Comm discipline!!! Comm discipline!!! Let the leader lead! etc. etc. If you can't abide by the rules, you may get booted.

Scheduling: Start to think about 40 man raids on the weekends, probably for two consecutive nights (e.g. Friday and Saturday). ZG during the week for at least two consecutive nights...maybe even twice during the week. Yeah, I know...I'll have to slow down work on my alt, but he'll have more rested xp. Does this seem like a lot? You bet! It IS a lot, but it's how we have to do things to learn.

Progress: We will do ZG again and again until we get it on farming status, able to one-shot most bosses. You'll probably get sick of it, but there is good gear to be had, and it's part of the learning process. MC will be scheduled with partners until we can staff our own raids. We need to recruit, recruit, recruit. We need 55+ players with the same goals we have!! We'll be inviting non-guildies along when and where we can to give them a taste of who we are and how we operate. Believe me, it's a big deal to leave your guild :row__738: [insert smiley for irony here!!!] so we need to do what we can to make getting acquainted easier on everyone.

DKP: Is this in our future? Probably...because it will reward those who are on time, regular in participation and who persist until we take down new bosses. Will it be immediate? Dunno 'bout that, but it's under consideration. The best guilds use this sort of system 'cause it works.
    Last edited by beep; 03-22-2006, 02:41 PM.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: End-game pacing

(sorry to cut in on your post but...)
    WoW Guys n Gals
    Your Forum looks PHAT :D
    Love what you have done with the place, Makes a man wanna come n live here :)

Comment

Now that I am level 60 I am ready to hit this stuff head on. I should be able to make it to most runs and am willing to dedicate that much time to helping the guild.

Comment

I just can't see DKP as a good thing. There is a core group that will earn most of it. I just can't see going on a raid and something I need drops but I don't get a chance at it because I don't raid much. Maybe if this guild had hundreds of people that do raids. We don't. What if we have non-guildies in the group? Then what? I'm excited about end game, but not at the cost of my job and family. DKP is not my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Just G
          (sorry to cut in on your post but...)
          WoW Guys n Gals
          Your Forum looks PHAT :D
          Love what you have done with the place, Makes a man wanna come n live here :)
          we got room
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

from what i have heard.. the system we will use will actually be fair... as in.... giantstalker chest dropps, i have -40dkp, because i won the belt... crebis(who already has it, doesnt want to bid, he has -38 dkp.. hunter X is running for the first time... so he has 0dkp... how it works.... the person with the most DKP has the first chance to buy it.... so hunter X (who has NEVER been on a raid with us before) buys it.. thus walking away with /drool a GS brestplate.... if hunter X already had it, so did crebis with 38.. THEN i would be able to bid on it with my -40dkp, thus making me have -80dkp