• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Mage Spec

Im considering this as my new spec:
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Re: Fire Mage Spec

That looks interesting...I use counterspell (silence) to pull too often so I have to have that. I also love the stun from fire spells. But let me know how it works out.

Comment

Well for endgame, you wont be pulling with CS, and u wont be CS unless they are casting a heal, and you generealy dont want a stun effect that is COH when ranged, in case you stop something in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by caldsteven
        Well for endgame, you wont be pulling with CS, and u wont be CS unless they are casting a heal, and you generealy dont want a stun effect that is COH when ranged, in case you stop something in the wrong place.
        Actually, you do pull with CS in endgame. It the way to get the caster to come to the group in a crowded area.

I didn't think you were talking about end game since mages don't use fire in most endgame instances. I thought it might be a farming spec.

Comment

Nah, im going towards a fire endgame spec, and i almost never use CS in endgame, maybe once a run, andi do not have improved CS.

Comment

I've never had blast wave. Would love to see how well it works. What's the cooldown on it?

Comment

I confess to no first hand experience playing a mage at level 60, so consider my questions those of an ignorant noob.

Why would you fire-spec for end game if most of the end-game (MC) mobs are fire based/fire resistant?

Why would you fire-spec for end game if it creates the highest levels of aggro?

Why would you not have the best CounterSpell possible to enable you to pull with that and to allow supplemental crowd control?

I thought we had general agreement that the most effective end-game spec was primarily arcane based to balance damage with threat mitigation.

I look forward to being enlightened!!!:icon_cool
              Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

A: I don't do MC or Ony very often, and with school/work i probably wont
                B: It creates higher agro b/c it higher dam, but if u play smart its easy
                C: I don't use CS very often, usually a pally/rogue stun enemies.

Comment

Ok, i think im gonna go with this:
                  http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...30231123000000

Comment

Here's my spec, Zedd:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...00000000000000

Here's my 2 cents.

I will agree that Frost mages are ideally the best for end-game raiding. True that--and I may get there one day.

Unfortunately, between my play schedule and availability, my raid time is lacking, and when I do play I'm not usually even doing raids.

Is my spec ideal/best for raids? No. Is my spec ideal/best for PvP? Not quite. PvE? Pretty good. Farming? Pretty good.

I do a lot of different things in game, and IMHO, my spec covers all the bases and allows me to do all these things well. I contribute in raids, I have decent survivability (when I play smart) I can PvP well, I can farm. My spec is made for versatility because that's what fits what I'm doing right now.

Some benefits/combo's of this spec:

1. Improved Arcane Missiles is very important to have. Most of your damage in raids should be coming from this spell because 1. it doesn't knock off 'Lock debuff slots (/high-five Sunderland) and 2. It's an easy way to keep your DPS under control so you don't gank aggro. The point of this spell is that your channeled Arcane Missles becomes uninterupptable by damage taken. Which, ... is uber sexy.

2. Every mage should have Improved Counterspell. Sometimes, you just NEED it, even if you don't pull with it, being able to silence enemy casters for 10 seconds (ESPECIALLY in PvP) gives you a tremendous advantage, ... that advantage being that you'll be alive and the other mage will be a squishy pile of dead.

3. Improved Arcane Explosion (Especially when coupled with Arcane Power) is a farmer's best friend. When I go out to Felwood to farm Felcloth off of the Jadefire guys, I can pull about 4 or 5 of them together and AE them to death before I'm even at half-hp/mp. Instant AE is a very very very effective farming tool. Not to mention, my highest recorded DPS to date (just ask if you want to know it) was because of this combo. Go to Baron Strat and wait for the 25 little skellies to run out and give this combo a try, ... it's an amazing thing to behold.

4. Arcane Mind- Another good friend to a mage. This is the reason why Adrielle has over 9000 mana with raid buffs, and over 8000 mana with just AI. 'Nuff said.

5. Arcane Power-->Fireball x2 (with the flamethrowing talent, you can usually get two fireballs off before anything gets to you)-->Presence of Mind-Pyroblast-->Fire Blast. Depending on your gear, Int., and crit rate, this combination can EASILY do about 4,200 dmg in about 7-8 seconds, and that's if you crit low. I could see this combo doing as much as 5,500 in that same 7-8 seconds. And, if after that it's still not dead, Cone of Cold-->Frost Nova, and start back in with Fireballs and Fire Blast. Nothing (that you should even be ATTEMPTING to solo) is going to survive.

Okay, so maybe that was more like 15 cents. Sorry for the babbling, I'm just really into my spec. :x

I'd be glad to duel with you to let you test things out with whatever spec you choose Zedd. I'm sure you'll pwn me. I need better strategies for fighting mages anyhow.

Comment

go 30 survival and 21 marksmanship.. o wait.. wrong class