Crebis, Chair...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crebis, Chair...

How about a guide on how to kite effectively? My problem, is turning around to fire...he usually catches up with me. Is there anything that will help me learn how to do the jump shot?

Re: Crebis, Chair...

Jump turn in mid air you only have to be within 90 degrees to fire. Varying degrees of success depending on LAG.
    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

definitely play with the 90 degrees...I don't do the jump shot. I do a mix of running sideways while turned a little...then shoot...I don't have to use the mouse

I think it's my forward and strafe...then enemy will follow directly bvehind you 100% of the time....stupid things.

Comment

*cries* Crebis and Chair... *sniffles*
        My sanity is not in question...
        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth
          *cries* Crebis and Chair... *sniffles*

Nothing personal Tarenth...Crebis is the obvious one to ask (guild and class leader), and Chair...well, he interjects himself into everything so I just went ahead and invited him first thing!

Comment

rofl.. u all know i am 'TEH ROXXOR HUNTORZ' i always thought i was good at kiting untill i got the hunter epic quest.. but, i mix up my style.. if u straff with ur Q or E key(default) u will have about 1* of play to be able to be 'facing' the target.. i also jump shot holding my right button on my mouse down.. stearing that way.. jump and rotate 180* shoot and rotate another 180* to face forward again and keep running.. not losing speed or direction whatsoever
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

hey.. why did crebis's name come first?
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

After crying in a corner for a little while over getting no mention and a long hot shower to wash away the memories of 36 hours worth of work in the ER I guess I should post my two cents on this topic.

First off, what do you mean by kite?

There are two definitions to kite in WoW. The most popular is the imagery of flying a kite where you have to keep it a certain distance in order to keep it in the air successfully. The second is an acronym standing for Killing in Time. It stands for the eventual death of your target while keeping enough distance between you and it that you aren't harmed (much) in the process.

While kiting there are 4 important things to consider.
                1. Distance and path
                2. Speed
                3. Aggro
                4. Attention

When plotting a destination for your mob you have to consider the distance you will need to kite and the path you will need to take your target there. You have to remember that mobs will ALWAYS go from point A (where they are) to point B (where you are) as long as you have attention and aggro in typically a straight line. This means you have to plan a linear or circular route based on how fast your target runs towards you. Plan a linear route too short and you'll run out of space to kite. Plan a circular route too small or shallow and you'll find the mob cutting corners to follow your path causing you to lose some distance. Also note that mobs have the oddest ability to run up walls and steep inclines you cannot. That huge hill might not be much of an obstacle to slow it down and that 90 degree turn in the hallway may not really be 90 degrees. Make sure your path is clear of anything that may slow down your progress or add as a distraction to your kite.

Obviously your speed is important since you want to be running faster than your target so it doesn't catch you. However, the speed of your target in relation to you is also crucial to calculate. Run too fast and you'll lose attention too quickly. Run too slow and your path may cause you to lose precious distance you will find hard to make up. The faster the speed of your target, the more distance you will need to kite it generally speaking. That means very fast targets will need very large circles or stretches of land. AotC is the common aspect to use while doing kites simply because it is a nice speed boost for little cost and no upkeep. However it should be noted that item effects and enchants that increase your foot speed DO NOT stack with AotC. Similar to the paladin run speed talent, AotC works on a 'strongest buff' principle. Wearing the run speed enchant and using Aotc will result in only Aotc. Using AotC and using a Stopwatch will only result in the stopwatch dash. Using AotC and a speed item in BGs will only result in the speed item. Using AotC and the AB belt or Baron Sword will only result in AotC. Also, item speed enchants don't stack. So wearing running speed enchants with the AB belt and the Baron's sword will provide you with the benefit of only one of those items and not all three. Recieving, but not giving, the speed bonus from AotP may have a different buff calculations since some rogues swear they dash faster in its aura, but that's open to experimentation and I don't wear AotP for rogues to dash in anyways.

Simply put: you want aggro. Aggro means the mob wants to attack you, this means its trying to attack you, ergo its running after you to attack you. If you are using your pet as a sustained DPS to nibble down the health of your target faster then you want to maintain aggro over your pet. This can be done by the occasional distracting shot. Try not to let your aggro stall for too long because while you are running your pet or friend may be gaining more aggro than you.

Attention is different from aggro. Its the value that usually runs with aggro that determines how far a mob will chase you before giving up and reseting. In instances there is NO degrading of attention. You aggro a mob, it chases you to the entrance then waits at the portal for someone stupid enough to get into its grubby mits. However, it will degrade outside of an instance depending on how far away it is from its original location. If you are kiting a mob over its starting location in a small area then you don't have to worry about attention because the rate of decay is very very small. Hence why you can't aggro something then sit in one place ignoring it till it gives up. The further you go from its point of origin the greater the rate of decay becomes. This is why running away and not attacking back will cause mobs to eventually reset and run back. Once you leave the radius of origin into the range of decay you cannot return the mob to reset the attention. This means that you can't constantly run back and forth over its origin to bypass this little rule. This all means that you have to constantly 'tap' your target in order to maintain its attention. Each tap will do X amount of attention in addition to its aggro and keep the mob on you that much longer. Attention is based on how often you tap, NOT how much damage you do. As such, DoTs such as Immolation Trap, Exploding Trap, Serpent Sting, or Viper Sting will generate attention for the inital hit, but not for any subsequent ticks of damage. If you should lose attention, then your aggro automatically resets to zero and you get an 'evade out'. If you lose aggro then your attention also resets to zero and you get the same result. That's where the mob either runs back or stands in place while gaining back all health and evading all further attacks until it returns to its origin.

That being said, there are three types of kiting.
                1. Kiting to lead
                2. Kiting to Kill
                3. Kiting in PvP

If you are Kiting to Lead (example of which would be pulling General Drakk in UBRS or planting an elite named dragon in Stormwind to watch the noobies squirm) then the process is pretty simple. Shoot the target to gain aggro and attention. Run with a speed enhancement in the direction you want to go. Pause and fire arcane/distracting shots to keep attention on you so it doesn't reset. Use feign death at your target location. Skills like the jump shot aren't needed (but fun to pull off for that 'flashy' look) and all you need to do is maintain a good sized lead on your target while occasionally firing a shot towards it. In this case the path is pretty linear and you only need to worry about adds that may disrupt your kite (like NPC guards on main roads or enemy mobs attacking you). Simply pausing and turning 90 degrees will give you lateral range of fire where you can shoot before continuing to run. Running sideways or 'side strafing' is also not require and could get pretty disorientating. You really want to see where you're going with this one. Using lower level spells will conserve mana for the long haul and mana pots may also help extend your run. The most important issues are to use are a good speed enhancement, maintain distance, and maintain attention.

If you are kiting to kill (example would be soloing Barov for the Scholo quest or the winterspring demon on the hunter quest) then things change up a little. The most important thing here is MANA, mana regeneration, and using good +Damage/healing gear for your spells. Your attacks will be mainly from your normal shot if you can pause long enough between running bouts, serpent sting, arcane shot, and multishot. Your projected path will probably be a very big circle, so you want to clear the path or have enough people get initial aggro and run with it so you don't have to worry about mobs. If you are using your pet to kill the mob, then you also might want to include distracting shot to maintain your aggro over your pet as well. If you are using circles or turns then you will also need to add concussion shot to slow down the mob on these turns so it doesn't cut corners and gain distance on you. Jumpshot is a definate plus, but can be rendered unneeded by just side strafing into your big circle. However, if you can jumpshot it allows you to add long straight paths which will enable you to maintain distance longer since you won't be losing any as you turn with the mob. My favorite example of a good hunter kite to kill would be Barov in the horde Argent Dawn camp of Tirisfal Glades. The mobs in the area are low so you can play 'dodge the doggie' easily with AotC. Its harder to get a group to kill him anyways and he's immune to scattershot and traps which makes him a little bit of a challenge to kill. Solo kite Barov and I'll respect you. Took me 3 tries and 4 major Mana pots. Aside from that, if you want to unload heavy damage on a mob then run to 45 yard (JUST out of talented range) and turn to unload a normal shot and multishot (you have to be stopped for multi anyhow). If you want to just run around in circles then keep serpent sting applied and hit the mob with arcane shot at regular intervals to keep its attention.

The last type, kiting in PvP, is a misnomer. Kiting in PvP is actually using the 'shoot and run' mechanic of a hunter. Its also one of the reasons why nice slow bows are at times superior to their faster counterparts. Basically you shoot your bow, run long enough for your regular shot timer to reset, then pause and shoot again while keeping your target in range of your bow, but out of range of their closing skills. You aren't actually kiting since they can always just run away to ruin the conventional definition of a kite, or attack something else. Its more along the lines of keeping someone at a distance. There really is not much of a penalty for losing distance except for the fact that you have to struggle back out to range by either combat trapping with a freezing trap, out running with wingclip or counterattack, or just running away after using scattershot or intimidation.

To elaborate:

The shoot and run mechanic of the hunter is using the pause in time between shots to move around. A hunter's autoshoot is designed to fire every time the ranged weapon normal shot timer comes up, but act independently of everything else. If it is unable to fire, then the autoshoot cancels and your shot timer zeros out. So with a 3 second shot speed you hit autoshoot and wait 3 seconds for your first shot, you then have 2.9 seconds before you initiate your second shot as you wind up. That 2.9 seconds can be used to back up slightly, or run around without losing the wind up of the second shot. If you are still moving or engage in melee then your shot timer will automatically zero and you will have to start autoshoot and wait for the initial 3 second windup again. However, hunter ranged skills do not zero the shot timer and even global cooldowns work in addition to the shot timer as long as you aren't still on the cooldown when the timer comes up. This is why using aimedshot right after a normal shot results in so much extra damage for hunters. The wind up for aimed shot runs in addition to the wind up for autoshoot with out interrupting it. That means if your autoshoot timer hits the next shot time while you're still casting aimed shot, it will pause and wait for you to finish the aimed shot before firing an autoshot right after it.

The jumpshot is actually a combination of rapid camera control with keyboard movement and hotkeys. Generally speaking you need to be using the AWSD keys for movement, the mouse for camera control, and the 1-5 key's over the AWSD keys for using skills/spells. I actually simplify using this by mapping bar 2 of my action bar for commonly use jumpshot skills (serpent sting, arcane shot, distracting shot, and concussion shot) and positioning them over the AWSD keys in 1-4. While running you then hit space with your thumb to initiate the jump, while in mid air hold the right mouse button and spin quickly to the side in order to do a fast 360 rotation. When you have rotated 90-270 degrees, use your finger to quickly hit the hotkey of your desired instant cast skill by removing it off the movement keys (your forward momentum is observed from initiation to end of a jump regardless of what keys you press unless you chage your descent speed with a spell or item). Keep rotating your camera the last 180 degrees to land and keep running forward.

In sequence:
                1. Run forward with {W} key
                2. Jump with {space} key
                3. Start 360 degree rotation of camera with {right mouse button} and rapid movement left or right
                4. Press numerical key {1} through {4} in order to activate an instant cast skill/spell while between the 90 degree or 270 degree camera position mid air
                5. Stop camera movement when facing forward once more and resume running with the {W} key

Like other people mentioned I wouldn't suggest using jump shot in narrow places (bridge in UBRS comes to mind) or with heavy lag because it is sometimes difficult to get a full 360 degree camera rotation. As such you may find yourself running off at odd angles and losing distance or altitude drastically.

As an alternative to a full 360 degree camera spin you could also just dip your camera between 180 and 90 degrees to give you a quick lateral line of sight. However, you have to be good in the full turn before practicing the quick tip because the timing is a lot more crucial due to the reduced window of oppertunity.
                My sanity is not in question...
                It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

good info
                  Lead, Follow or get out of my way

Comment

Originally posted by doofeey
                    good info
                    maybe ull learn how to kite yet?