WoW and Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoW and Linux

I know that a couple of our Guild run World of Warcraft on linux, so I wanted to get a couple of questions answered by them.

First: Do you use Cedega (I have a subscription) or regular WINE?

Next: I understand that with Cedega (probably with WINE as well) I need to move the updater outside of the install directory, then execute it, then move it back, but I can't find WHEN I needed to move it back. Is it right after execution, or right before if goes to update the updater?

Lastly: what tips and tricks have you found that gets the game to run smoothly on your distro?

Thanks!

Re: WoW and Linux

Good questions. I'm playing on my Venice 3000 system with XP64 but I've also got Fedora i386 and x86_64, and I'd love to play from there. Using ntfsmount I could even play from my XP WoW directory, but I don't know how safe that is.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Yea Mateo, if you could find some way to make it easy to get WoW along side TacticalOS, I might just have to take a look =D
      RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
        Yea Mateo, if you could find some way to make it easy to get WoW along side TacticalOS, I might just have to take a look =D
        I'm taking it one game at a time. World of Warcraft is first up.

Did I mention that Linux is tha hotness?

So, Scratchy, do you run the game emulated in Linux, or via ntfsmount? What tricks do you have for Fedora?

Comment

Mateo, I run it with cedega. That patch instructions was a one time thing. They fixed cedega so you didn't have to worry about it any more at least that is what I heard. I moved it out (actually renamed it) started the patch let it start patching files and renamed it back while it was patching. I don't think you need to do that anymore.

I experience a significant decrease in Lag when I switched from windows to Linux. Then I added mods and the lag came back but I would hate to see what would have with the mods and Windows. I have a beefy system too:
          AMD Athlon64 3400+
          Asus A8N SLI deluxe
          1 Gig Ram
          2x 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 video cards.

Not a bad system if I do say so.

I am currently running Ubuntu64 Breezy, but will be upgrading to Dapper soon. My laptop is running Dapper and it is hot.
          Kemotaha

Comment

Manny=Old Dog
            Linux = New Tricks.

I wish i knew something about linux... but i'm a windows sheep.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

It's Ok Manny, I will Mail you a copy of Linux that is on a CD so you can just boot it up on your computer and play with it without actually installing it. Wait until hte end of June though because a new release is coming out then and it is better than the current one that I have.
              Kemotaha

Comment

Originally posted by Kemotaha
                Mateo, I run it with cedega. That patch instructions was a one time thing. They fixed cedega so you didn't have to worry about it any more at least that is what I heard. I moved it out (actually renamed it) started the patch let it start patching files and renamed it back while it was patching. I don't think you need to do that anymore.
                Ok, thanks! That's good to know.

I am currently running Ubuntu64 Breezy, but will be upgrading to Dapper soon. My laptop is running Dapper and it is hot.
                I have similar specs, but the 64bit version seems buggy to me. I'd rather run the x86 version instead.

TacticalOS has, up to this point, been Kanotix based, but playing around with Kubuntu has made me rethink that....Dapper is really sweet.

Do you have any tricks for running Cedega that you want to share?

Comment

Originally posted by Manetheren
                  Manny=Old Dog
                  Linux = New Tricks.

I wish i knew something about linux... but i'm a windows sheep.
                  Linux is

1. As easy to install as windows
                  2. Can run on anything
                  3. Can be as easy or as hard as you like (just by chosing the distribution)
                  4. Is free, not just now, but for as long as you want to use it.

but it's also

5. Not very PC game friendly. :icon_conf

That's ok, CounterStrike and WoW run, so that's a good start. I can't wait until I have a talking toaster like on Red Dwarf that can make perfect toast, run linux, and play World Of Warcraft all at once. That would be cool.

Comment

I don't currently run on Linux. XP64 instead.

Linux can be as easy to install as Windows, but note that most people buy Windows preloaded, so the PC maker had to undergo the pain of figuring out how to load Windows. You generally can't buy Linux preloaded, so you have to go through the pain of figuring out the installation yourself.

I believe part of MS' OEM deal is that the OEM can't install both MS and another OS on the same disk and let the consumer choose. Yet another barrier to entry for the competition.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                      Ok, thanks! That's good to know.

I have similar specs, but the 64bit version seems buggy to me. I'd rather run the x86 version instead.

TacticalOS has, up to this point, been Kanotix based, but playing around with Kubuntu has made me rethink that....Dapper is really sweet.

Do you have any tricks for running Cedega that you want to share?

I don't remember any tricks for installing or running WoW. I did have to force the architecture when installing Cedega however.
                      Kemotaha

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                        I don't currently run on Linux. XP64 instead.

Linux can be as easy to install as Windows, but note that most people buy Windows preloaded, so the PC maker had to undergo the pain of figuring out how to load Windows. You generally can't buy Linux preloaded, so you have to go through the pain of figuring out the installation yourself.

I believe part of MS' OEM deal is that the OEM can't install both MS and another OS on the same disk and let the consumer choose. Yet another barrier to entry for the competition.

There is actually a bunch of companies that are starting to sell PC with just DOS loaded on, so that you can install Linux. HP, DELL, and IBM all do this. Of course it is on select Machines and it is not easy to find the ones to buy. OF course, I dual boot all my machine so I buy them with windows installed and use Partition magic to shrink the partition and install Linux.

The other downside is that the versions without windows really isn't much cheaper that with windows. You would think that the $100 license for windows would be a big factor but it isn't that much savings. Oh well.
                        Kemotaha

Comment

Ok, here is what I found during various experiments last night:

WoW runs under regular WINE just fine, although the drivers have to be up to date. I noticed some minor glitches when running WoW on PCLinuxOS (Nvidia 7676 drivers) via WINE, but got a 20-30fps boost from XP. I also noticed few, if any latency issues.

The only drawback that I could see, is that sound under WoW did not really work, but I can't tell if that is WINE, or the server, since I had similar issues last night on XP.

I bet Cedgea is going to rock.

Comment

It works well Mateo, Except for Patch day. Not the small ones, the big ones. I tend not to play for a few days to let everyone else figure out how to get it working and then update my game. I think Wine is much the same way but maybe not.
                            Kemotaha

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X