Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please allow me to vent with this story...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please allow me to vent with this story...

I manage a few IT contracts. I work on one of them as a developer as well. I am currently trying to hire someone to come in and do some Jr level work. Until then, I have to do it all. There is this one government employee that continuously gives me problems. I just helped her change her password 3 weeks ago (and it was bad). She is now complaining that the system is telling her that her password is about to expire. Knowing that it isn't coming from my application, and trying to explain it to her, she wants to change her password anyways (She doesn't remember her old one from 3 weeks ago). So I change her password and tell her to log out and close down the browser. I then tell her to log in using the NEW password I just created for her. I tell her she will then be directed to another screen where she can change it to whatever she likes. I told her that it will ask for the old password and it is the one I just gave her. I get a call 5 minutes later telling me her account is locked. I go unlock it and asked her if she was using the right user name (That was the big mess 3 weeks ago that I DON'T want to get into). She said she was and that her old password was saved and she was hitting submit. After I picked up the phone from throwing it across the room I explained to her....AGAIN....that she needed to use the password I just gave her.

Anyone have to deal with idiots like this?

Re: Please allow me to vent with this story...

Constantly. I'm a 10-year IT consultant myself. I have historically dealt in networking in the SMB market, and the ID10T errors have always come fast and furious. There are people like this at probably 50% of the companies I've dealt with. I got lucky though... got promoted to application development, and now I only deal with users who work at the help desk or other IT department of large corporations.

I'm sure you probably already know about it, but if not, visit Sharktank at ComputerWorld.com. It's filled with stories both funny and exasperating sent in by IT professionals like us. There have been some stories I've identified with, and others that have made me realize just how bad some users (and techs!) can get, and how fortunate I am not to have run into those types yet. :)

Comment

I worked 10 months as ISP troubleshooter for a small-town ISP ... 15,000 users. May not sound like much, but ... there were 3 of us total :D

Name an urban legend about stupid users and PEBKAC issues, and we probably had it happen.

Me: |

Comment

At least you have to deal with idiots who don't know stuff because they aren't familiar with computers.

Some people have to work with idiots who don't know how to order hamburgers. -_-;;

And I'd rather deal with an idiot anyday than with someone who is a jerk to you for doing your job.

"I'd like a number 4 with no onions."

"Would you like that Biggie sized?"

"Did I ask for it Biggie sized?"

*bites tongue ... OFF* >_<

Comment

which ISP Marconi?

I work at an Airline's helpdesk. In fact, as im typing this im on the phone with a person I've been pulling my hair out with the past few days. Shes was trying to log into her email. but she's trying to login to a mailbox that's authenticated to another user. I tell her to log in to the PC as herself, but then her desktop is different looking, even though it was never her desktop in the first place. She switches PC's like she's got Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

It wouldn't be so bad except the way she talks, she's got a voice like Fingernails on a chalkboard, does not just talk, its WHINE WHINE WHINE.

I'm typing with one hand, putting pressure on my temples with the other right now.
          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf

I'm typing with one hand, putting pressure on my temples with the other right now.

I've done that before Vin.

Originally posted by Altor

After I picked up the phone from throwing it across the room
            And i've done that too.

I'm currently a photolab supervisor. Let me share what I get to deal with.

Curtains raise, Manny is standing behind a counter. A middle aged woman walks up to the counter with a plastic bag in hand.

"Excuse me,' She says 'Can you develop this roll of film?'
            She reaches into her bag and pulls out a roll of film, that has been pulled out of it's cannister.
            "Umm... no" I say.
            "why not?"
            "Because it's been Exposed..."
            "Well, can oyu put it through just in case? I mean, I put it in the bag as soon as i found it"
            "that bag?"
            "Yes, this bag"
            "That... White... plastic... open topped bag?"
            "Yes"
            I take a measured breath. Carefully, I try from another angle...
            "You're holding the film out... in bright light... right now... there won't be anything left on it"
            She throws me the 'Pfft. you're just a stupid store employee' look, and says "well, why don't you just take it upstairs and see what you can do with it?" In a sing song voice. I find myself wondering if killing her with my bare hands would be worth the jail time.
            Let me find my magic wand... I think. But i decide to bring it up anyways... just to get her to go away.
            I take the film, and as i go to put it in an envelope, i notice something.
            "Ma'am... This film looks like it's been chewed on by a retarded monkey."
            She goes red in the face. "Excuse me?" She says angrily.
            "this film... it looks like it's been chewed on"
            "That was uncalled for young Man... my child is NOT retarded"
            "... What? I never said it..."
            "Yes you did! you just said it looked like it had been chewed on by a retarded monkey!"
            "Are you implying that your child is a monkey, ma'am?" I ask, my voice calm, i've decided she'd be worth the jail time.
            "I most certainly am not!"
            "Well then, if you'll just join me for a moment of logical thought, I said a retarded monkey had chewed on this film.. not 'your retarded child has masticated this roll of film'. I did not imply that your child had eaten this film. But, and this is strictly hypothetical... if your child HAS been chewing on film, you may want to bring them to the hospital.. this isn't exactly health food'
            She blinks at me a couple times... I can hear her brain processing the data she's been fed. I hope for a moment she grasps the important part.
            She doesn't.
            "Well, I never. you are the rudest individual ever. I'm going to be contacting your head office, and i'm never coming back here again!'
            I let out a small sigh. it has to be small. if it's to long, she'll hear the relief.
            I push the mangled, exposed film back to her.
            "why are you giving that back... i told you to develop it!"
            I put the film in the envelope and walk away.

On my counter upstairs in the lab, there is a small dent. She is the customer that prompted me to start making that dent. with my head.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

I work tech for my college. As in im currently in charge of 78 media carts that include PC VCR/DVD combo and LCD projector. I get calls all the time where there is 3 minutes before class starts and the professor cant get the PC to continue in the booting process and i quote " it says remove disk and press any key to continue"...what should i do..After i pull the phone out of my forehead i tell them nothing, cuase im sending a tech over to show whats wrong with the PC.

Or even better yet, "The cart wasnt working when i got in the class room so i fixed it, just thought i would let you know." my responce "Did it work when you left the class room"..."Well i never tested it so im not sure"...yeah there goes 3 hours of my life i wont get back, re-refixing it.

Now im not talking about stupid people here, im talking about people with Multiple doctorets and PHDs, its so bad. Recently we started doing these Staff training days, showing them how to actually use them and showing them what a jump drive is, different story. So after these are all over i get compliants cause they where to "easy" and "made them feel dumb cuase it was stuff they already knew"..Simple stuff like how to make a powerpoint out of there lectures, how to use black board to post stuff for students. How to turn the stuff off when they are done, i am still getting calls about how to make a PP presentation, how to use black board.

I hate professors, and instead of letting the students who know how to use the stuff help, i get calls. I have walked into classrooms and some of my student workers will be in the class, "so i ask did billy help"..." no becuase i dint think he knew what he was doing"......

i need a drink..
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Anah, Ark, myself and a few others can wax poetic anytime you folks like about the joys of retail bookselling. During Christmas.

"Do you have 'The Merchant of Venice' by F. Scott Fitzgerald?

"..."

"..."

"Well, we have 'The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare... could that be what you're looking for, ma'am?

"No, no... it's F. Scott Fitzgerald, I'm pretty sure."

"Ok well, I'll get the Shakespeare version, and you can try it out, ok?

"If it's the wrong one, can I return it?"

"Ma'am, if it's the wrong one, I will kill my whole family and offer their hacked limbs unto you as atonement. Deal?"

"What? Can I pay here?"

"No."

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, you cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images, where the sun beats, and the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, and the dry stone no sound of water." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

I run into this stuff all the time. Because of my field (IT Security/Auditing/Assurance), many times I run into this same type of idiocy but rather than with end users, it's with IT professionals, managers, etc, and it's surrounding security issues.

Nothing comes to mind right now that I can actually disclose (although a ton of things DO come to mind), but you would be suprised at the absolutely HORRID security practices many companies have, or don't have.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

When do the midnight movies start?

Over the years, 24 now, that I have been working in the real world I have seen it all. Some examples; the movie theatre where no one could figure out when the midnight movies started. The stable that I worked at where I rode the horses everyday and the owners who visited once a month could not figure out why I could call their horses to me by name and they could not. Or the last 22 years of retail where all the pages of this forum could not hold the stories. I guess the only thing we can do is sigh and smile, while in the back of our minds saying "YOU IDIOT!" Life goes on and I count on having these experiences repeatedly until I get marooned on a island.

PS. Or I could bang my head on the counter, may work just as well, only it may scare the customers and my coworkers :)

Silchar (70 Retribution Paladin)
                    Lightshow (70 Holy Priest)
                    Wetstone (70 Marksman Hunter)

"Never forget-the higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Amrod
                      Anah, Ark, myself and a few others can wax poetic anytime you folks like about the joys of retail bookselling. During Christmas.

"Do you have 'The Merchant of Venice' by F. Scott Fitzgerald?

"..."

"..."

"Well, we have 'The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare... could that be what you're looking for, ma'am?

"No, no... it's F. Scott Fitzgerald, I'm pretty sure."

"Ok well, I'll get the Shakespeare version, and you can try it out, ok?

"If it's the wrong one, can I return it?"

"Ma'am, if it's the wrong one, I will kill my whole family and offer their hacked limbs unto you as atonement. Deal?"

"What? Can I pay here?"

"No."

Who buys "The Merchant of Venice" as a Christmas present? O_o

Comment

The hard ones are not the ones that that are unfamiliar with computers and ignorant to how to deal with it. It's the ones who suposedly are computer professionals that think they know it all which they don't or they would not be on the phone with you to begin with. They refuse to wait and follow directions but rather try to jump 3 steps ahead of you and do exactly what you don't want them to then get mad when your not helping them because they can't follow directions. Or the ones making 60 and hour on site to fix teh problem but have to call you to fix it at 10 per hour.
                        "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X