Some observations on the Ragnaros fight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some observations on the Ragnaros fight

Hi all, I wanted to stick my nose in and offer what I hope will be some helpful insight and advice regarding the Rag's fight.

First off, don't get frustrated! This is the biggest fight many have seen and it takes a ton of coordination (and great gear) for it to go well. Emotions run high but remember, some guilds go for a month or more before they kill him. Blizzard adds to the challenge with lag and ouright quirky NPC behavior. The more you see it, the easier it gets. I'm very suspicious that the difficulty you are having is not from lack of ability but rather your lack of gear and substantial FR. I know some want to poo poo the value of FR but that's just uninformed. If you don't have at least 100FR then living through the Rag's fight is going to be very very difficult for you. This is particularly true to the melee class. The good news is that the more you run MC the stronger you get as a group and the easier this will become. You'll get better weapons and better FR gear. You're on your way it just takes time. Keep in mind, for every death, the fight becomes exponentially harder. It doesn't do you any good to kill all the sons and fight Rag's with only 15 people left alive. :)

There is something you can do to make up for your lack of gear and I'm sure if you do it you'll stand a much better chance of downing Rag's. It's a VERY simple buff and it takes about 20 minutes to do. Discount it if you must but I'm carrying a Spinal Reaper because we took the time to do it.

Here's the buff:
    Once you've cleared to and killed Domo you don't go directly to Rag's, you're actually going to leave MC and go to UBRS. Clear your way out to the door but MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE ONE PERSON IN MC so that the instance doesn't reset. We used to leave a mage or lock because the ranged classes tend to take less fire damage.

Break into groups of 10 and zone into UBRS.

Kill the first 5 or 6 Orcs that are near the door and the patrol for safety.

Just down the steps there are Spellbinders that can be mc'd and they'll give your party a buff. This isn't some piddly buff, this is 80FR! Have a priest MC one and then they'll work their way through the group until everyone has the buff. Once you get the buff move over to the doorway just to make life easier for your priest. Having a Pali and a rogue in each group to stunlock is also helpful for when the Binder breaks MC. There is a slight cooldown but you shouldl be able to do an entire group in less than 10 minutes. An 80FR buff for 1 hour, what's not to love?

Now, and this is very important, walk carefully down the chains and into MC. Don't run, don't jump, no antics of any kind because if you die your buff is gone.

Reform your raid and now you get to go kill Rag's with an additional free 80 fire resist. Combine it with a Pali's FR Aura and you're now well over the 100FR threshhold. Throw a couple of Fire Protection Potion's in your bag and you've mitigated about 8,000 fire damage. Your healers will thank you.

I hope this helps.

Bear
    Last edited by TG_Bear; 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM.
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Re: Some observations on the Ragnaros fight

I support us going and getting this buff for our next Ragnaros attempt.

Comment

I wish you had said, "My name is Luna, and I approve of this buff."
      Ninja

Comment

I HATE wiping! I just HATE it!:row__522: And I hate the 15+ gold repair bills!

There...I feel better now.:row__690:

Guess what guys? Welcome to the REAL end-game! We will figure our how to take Ragnaros down. His days of beating us like a drum are numbered!

When will we do this? I don't know...but it's not far in the future. One week? Two? Maybe three? We are accruing epic loot at the rate of 20 or so per week in MC. That's awesome! We are learning how to be calm under fire and to follow directions.

Is it hard? Yes! Is it supposed to be? Yes! Is this what we came for? Yes!

Frustrating? Yes, yes, yes! I like to win...we all do. So, suck it up. Get ready for the next run. Contribute to the "pot pool" so we can have FR pots for all. Detour to UBRS for buffs? Sure!

Should we invest in flasks for the tanks and the casters? For now, yes!

Honestly now, if this were easy, we'd be bored quickly. I KNOW we can do it. We have the players, we have the leaders, we have the knowledge and we're learning the fight at a fast and furious pace. We're gaining epic gear in large amounts every week!

This is not the hardest fight in the game, so we will have LOT to learn even after Rag is "boring" to us.

I don't want to say this is a test, but THIS IS A TEST!!! Suck it up. Put on your game face and come to play! I'm glad to be here...and happy to be here with each of you. THIS IS FUN!!!
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I have done this before, just for fun and it was easy, we just used a hunter freeze trapping to get MC back, because it seemed to reset the MC count.

I think Blizzard might have increased the recast time on the buff recently because last time I did it, I don't think I could get multiple casts per MC anymore. I would need to try it again to see.
          Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

yay, i get to use MC! :-D
            "When in doubt, make a fool of yourself" - personal motto
            "Crack is the reason for glass broken" - warning on my favorite japanese teapot

Comment

something like this would help me in removing some FR gear for some DPS gear. at least two pieces. I'd be for it.
              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Beep,

Welcome to end game raiding, isn't it fun!!! :)

To your point on pots, you couldn't be more accurate. EVERY CLASS, EVERY TOON, EVERY PLAYER in the raid MUST get, grab or hell steal anything that will help them.

You ABSOLUTELY have to compensate for your lack of gear with pots and buffs!!!

If you're melee then you'll want things like Mongoose pots, Elixir of Giants, R.O.I.D.s, Lung Juice, Blessed Sunfriut.....basically anything you can get your hands on. I can't even begin to give advice to casters/hunters so I'll leave that to others. Simply put, you can't be cheap and kill endgame bosses. I would expect that everyone would be spending 10g-20g on buffage if you can't farm the mats yourself. This is not the time to be cheap or lazy. Get them and get it done, the money you spend on pots will be saved on repair costs!!

It won't always be this way, before you know it you'll be downing Ragnaros without a plethora of goodies. Then it's on to the next challenge. There are bosses in BWL that the tanks will need Flasks for, last I checked they run from 50-75g each.
                “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

To minimize the time to get this buff, maybe it would be wise just to have the clothies and the melee to get the buffs. I'm just thinking time wise to organize 4 10man groups and then buff and wait till everyone gets back to MC will take an awful long time. I don't think the hunters need the buff as bad as the priests, casters and melee group.

Or another thought is maybe starting this raid a little sooner on Saturday/Sunday to allot for the time it would take to get the buffs. Just an observation and suggestion. Any thoughts?
                  "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bear
                    Beep,

Welcome to end game raiding, isn't it fun!!! :)

To your point on pots, you couldn't be more accurate. EVERY CLASS, EVERY TOON, EVERY PLAYER in the raid MUST get, grab or hell steal anything that will help them.

You ABSOLUTELY have to compensate for your lack of gear with pots and buffs!!!

If you're melee then you'll want things like Mongoose pots, Elixir of Giants, R.O.I.D.s, Lung Juice, Blessed Sunfriut.....basically anything you can get your hands on. I can't even begin to give advice to casters/hunters so I'll leave that to others. Simply put, you can't be cheap and kill endgame bosses. I would expect that everyone would be spending 10g-20g on buffage if you can't farm the mats yourself. This is not the time to be cheap or lazy. Get them and get it done, the money you spend on pots will be saved on repair costs!!

It won't always be this way, before you know it you'll be downing Ragnaros without a plethora of goodies. Then it's on to the next challenge. There are bosses in BWL that the tanks will need Flasks for, last I checked they run from 50-75g each.
                    Oh yeah...and BEAR...get your furry warrior butt over to Thunderhorn!!!:row__523:
                    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by Muirc
                      To minimize the time to get this buff, maybe it would be wise just to have the clothies and the melee to get the buffs. I'm just thinking time wise to organize 4 10man groups and then buff and wait till everyone gets back to MC will take an awful long time. I don't think the hunters need the buff as bad as the priests, casters and melee group.

Or another thought is maybe starting this raid a little sooner on Saturday/Sunday to allot for the time it would take to get the buffs. Just an observation and suggestion. Any thoughts?
                      Total time to zone out, regroup, buff and get the raid back to Ragnaros shouldn't be more than 20 minutes.

Groups 1 and 2 form 1 group
                      Groups 3 and 4 form another etc.

One person does have to stay behind to keep the instance from resetting.

Comment

Originally posted by beep
                        Oh yeah...and BEAR...get your furry warrior butt over to Thunderhorn!!!:row__523:
                        Oh yeah, I had that discussion on Saturday night after you logged. Let's just say it didn't go very well.

Comment

Patterns of end-game instances....

Boss->Boss->Boss->Boss->Boss->Boss->Big Boss

Seriously, the "end boss" in every instance is WAY harder than anything leading up to them. This is the pattern IN EVERY INSTANCE IN THE GAME. Think of this boss as a kind of gatekeeper for the next instance.

If we were "iffy" on Shazz...or Domo...why would we think we could shout "booyah!" and take down Rag...or earlier in our development...Hakkar...or Drakkisath...or the Baron...or any other instance end-boss?

We may have so far underestimated the big stair step in difficulty for Ragnaros and our need to prep for the fight...but we ARE learning it!
                          Last edited by beep; 07-17-2006, 04:23 PM.
                          Beep

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bear
                            Oh yeah, I had that discussion on Saturday night after you logged. Let's just say it didn't go very well.
                            Bear, I'm sorry to hear that, but that's actually what I expected. You are a key player there...as you'd be a key player here. Your departure will leave a big hole. Expecting them to be happy at the prospect of your leaving is not in the cards.

I can't tell you what you should do, but I sympathize with the effort to make a good choice that works for you.

Loyalty is good, but guilt is a corrosive, caustic motivation that isn't healthy, IMO.
                            Beep

Comment

Plate wearers in search of FR items...listen up...

You can get to 150 fire resist reasonably easily without any pieces made from Lava Cores and Fiery Cores. You WILL take a ding to your hitpoints, but the resistance gains are big.
                              • Drakefire Amulet (Onyxia Key)
                              • Dark Iron Shoulders (Blacksmith: 6 DI bar, 1 heart of fire)
                              • Smokey's Drape (Smokey LaRue in EP)
                              • Emberplate Wristguards (Lord Incendius)
                              • Fiery Plate Gauntlets (Armoursmith: 20 Thorium Bar, 6 Enchanted Thorium Bar, 2 Essence of Fire, 4 Star Ruby)
                              • Elemental Plate Girdle of Fire Resistance (DM Tribute Run)
                              • Flamewaker Legplates (Most bosses in Molten Core)
                              • Ocean's Breeze (Hydraxian Waterlords Molten Core quest)
                              • Seal of Eldre'thalas (DM Warrior Book)
                              • Draconian Deflector (General Drakkisath)
                              • Libram of Resilience on legs and helm (+20FR each)
                              • Fire resist enchant on cloak (1 lesser mystic essence, 1 elemental fire)

158 - Total

Some Other Items (by no means an exhaustive list) The most complete list (for warriors) is here...http://www.tacticalgamer.com/world-w...r-warrior.html
                              • Hydralick Armour (World drop, often on the auction house)
                              • Seal of Ascension (UBRS Key)
                              • Flame Mantle of the Dawn(revered Argent Dawn faction)
                              • Belt of Might (Molten Core trash mobs)
                              • Breastplate of Might (Golemagg the Incinerator)
                              • Breastplate of the Chromatic Flight (Quest)
                              • Core Forged Greaves (Majordomo Executus)
                              • Gauntlets of Might (Lucifron)
                              • Helm of Might (Garr)
                              • Lavawalker Greaves (Maleki the Pallid)
                              • Runic Plate items (Blacksmith, not recommended)
                              • Thorium Plate items (Blacksmith, not recommended)
                              Beep

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X