Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat + ConEd = Angry Amrod

Hey all

With the heat wave in the Northeast, I have been without internet connectivity (as well as phone service) for the last 2 days. ConEd has stated that they are working on resolving the issue "24 hours a day" which is hogwash.

Anyway, I'll be on ASAP, but I'm at the mercy of ConEd and my ISP. Happy hunting until I make it on! Hopefully before Friday's raid!

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, you cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images, where the sun beats, and the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, and the dry stone no sound of water." --T.S. Eliot

Re: Heat + ConEd = Angry Amrod

I can't imagine being in Queens without power!
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

Ya, it's not fun :(

Yesterday, I was walking back from work and I saw a bunch of power lines catch fire and melt right across the street. There was putrid green smoke enveloping the entire block...It is HOT here.

Plus, all the stores have no power so I can't buy any cold, tasty brews. Not to mention, with no WoW I've been forced to...<gasp>... read BOOKS.

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, you cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images, where the sun beats, and the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, and the dry stone no sound of water." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

Hey Amrod what are the temps getting to be in your area?
        sigpic

Comment

While some would snicker at our mere 105-110 degrees, for us Yanks that's pretty durn balmy...

Comment

Look I live on the door step of hell when it comes to heat and trust me 105-110 is freakin hot especially with humidity levels that I am sure are over %50. If you guys are experience those kind of temps it's the same as what I am going through here in AZ. Good luck and drink lots of water.
            sigpic

Comment

The hottest i have witnessed was 142 degrees when i was living out of my humvee just after we took over Baghdad fighting our way up to Mosul, Iraq... Now 142 degrees, plus 40 lbs of gear which we wore at all times... Now take that and add the fact that all our water was stored in a " water buffalo ". which is a metal tank on wheels, so unless we wantted to drink 100 plus degree water, we could only drink water at night when it dropped down to 80 or so degrees... OH and the 2 hours of sleep if we were lucky made for a hell of a diet plan... LOL

-Ic

P.S. In case this ever happens to you, the best thing i found was to drop a water bottle in a sock, wet the sock and whip it around as fast as you can until your about to pass out from the heat, then drink the water for the win :)
              QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
              Nice remark guys.

Comment

I cannot even remotely imagine what 142 degrees must feel like. At 110 I basically just shut down all neural functions other than anger. I give you guys a lot of credit for going through that!

And btw, glad to see you made it back safe :)

/ty

Comment

There is NO way I'd want to be up there with you in that kinda heat. It is HARSH in your area. We are used to it here every once-in-awhile but the Gulf and Atlantic keep us pretty well regulated in the 90's.

Most extreme for me to date:
                  Las Vegas 115
                  Mt Washington : -70
                  wildest range - Mt. Washington -55 to 45 over two days.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks like your ConEd boys are hard at work.. gl with that....

wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_202003024.html
                    Uglyduck - Spec varies - Currently Prot
                    MMORPG = Many Men Online Role-Playing as Girls

Comment

sigh... sadly, I've seen these geniuses up to the same crap... three of them were in line for the Mr. Softee van at one, time, it was absurd.

Oh, and P.S. it is now almost 2PM, and still no internet at home.

4 days and counting! Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Amrod
                        I cannot even remotely imagine what 142 degrees must feel like. At 110 I basically just shut down all neural functions other than anger. I give you guys a lot of credit for going through that!

And btw, glad to see you made it back safe :)

/ty
                        To be honest there was zero humidity, yes 142F was hot, but I really dont think i noticed a difference between 110F to 142F... We got use to that kind of temperature, so really it didnt seem any worse than it did 110...
                        QUOTE : "Icsist has a little shameless behavior in the past"
                        Nice remark guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Amrod
                          sigh... sadly, I've seen these geniuses up to the same crap... three of them were in line for the Mr. Softee van at one, time, it was absurd.

Oh, and P.S. it is now almost 2PM, and still no internet at home.

4 days and counting! Awesome!
                          What is sad is the field employees probably DON'T know what they should be working on or where the problem they are supposed to be working on is. They are just told to go to a place NWA (No Work Assigned) and wait.

Is it a case of overload from demand in your area?
                          sigpic

Comment

Definitely not overload of demand from my area, since it is basically just residential and a few bars/restaurants scattered around. The issue is that the feeder cables that go from the power plant (in my neighborhood) to Manhattan (where the REAL demand is) are all fried from trying to push too much through them the other night - my guess is all the 90-story buildings with the A/C set on 45 degrees and Times Square flashing like the surface of the sun. This is not uncommon because manhattan always get priority over the surrounding "poorer" boroughs.

Anyway, the electricity got rerouted to Manhattan, but our feeders are still fried here in Queens, which explains the fire shooting out of manholes and overhead cables melting onto the sidewalk. Astoria is starting to look a lot like Ony's Lair, circa Phase 3, actually.

As far as the workers, I only hope that ConEd puts them to work soon, because we are running out of ice cream FAST.

Comment

I sure hope you cooked all the food that was in your fridge/freezer.

|TG-Defiant| - It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X