Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question re: WOW servers

Hey all,

I'm a TGer since December but play mostly BF2 and COD2. My 14 yo son is into guildwars and played WOW for a short while last year. He gave it up because of the monthly fee. (what is that monthly fee anyhow?)

I'm posting to the board today because last night my son told me he had connected up with an online friend who gave him information about a free WOW server that was coming online soon. He described it to me and I have to say it sounded like somebody was going to create a hacked server that would allow people to play WOW w/o paying a fee.

I wanted to check in with the TG WOW community to get the skinny on this. "Sounds like stealing to me" I said to my son, and I continued by adding "doesn't the game maker have a strict policy on this kind of thing, banning accounts and all?" I told him no, he cant' do it, unless he writes the game developer an email asking if it's alright. He said he would but , you know how it goes.

Any thoughts are most welcome
    Grunt70
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Noob question re: WOW servers

There are renegade/pirate servers for people that play on with cracked software. Highly illegal from a IP standpoint, and obviously not supported by Blizzard.

$15 per month gets you in the real game, assuming you already own the software.

Now that it's the only title I play, I can't say it isn't worth it. :row__577:

Comment

I would love to have one of those servers to help figure out how to kill certain bosses. But oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateo
        There are renegade/pirate servers for people that play on with cracked software. Highly illegal from a IP standpoint, and obviously not supported by Blizzard.

$15 per month gets you in the real game, assuming you already own the software.

Now that it's the only title I play, I can't say it isn't worth it. :row__577:
        Generally I'd agree to that--if my son was working and paying his own way....he's on the young side of14 and still sucking on the teat (mostly his mother's doing).

We bought him the game but I think when we bought it there was no charge to play each month...does that sound right...anyhow..thanks for the info...only help reinforce what I thought originally...I'll nix the pirated server action.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

He was probably using the free 2 week game card that comes with the game with you first buy it, after that there is a montly fee to play.

|TG-Defiant| - It's you and me against the world. We attack at dawn.

You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you.

Comment

Actually when you buy the game you get 30 days free to 'try it out' before subscribing. Afterwards it $14.99 per month of play or a slightly cheaper 'per month' payment with a charge every 3 months. Then there's the cheapest 'per month' with a yearly subscription, but if you can't afford the per month plan then the yearly is out of the question.

Private WoW servers are a somewhat gray area. If you use a private server to play around with the game and explore/test things out on your own then there isn't anything Blizzard will do to you. In fact, there are a number of exploration movies using private servers out that are perfectly legit. In fact, its GOOD for Blizzard to show such content because it stimulates player interest in such content.

However, if you have a private server and have other people play on it then you're in the area of pirating and felony charges. Blizzard WILL hit you hard. Best case senario the owner of the private server gets jail time and all participants get fined a fee equal to their time played at the worst payment rate (per hour). Worse case senario your son spends time in Juvi and you get a fine of up to $200,000 for pirating and the owner never sees the light of day and has debt going out both ways.
            My sanity is not in question...
            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

where do i go to get my own copy of the server program =D