UI/Mods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UI/Mods

I've been giving some thought to revamping my UI. I've seen various screenshots in the past and always thought "I should do something like that to make my screen less full of crap". After seeing Arkamis' screenshot of Rag's room I made up my mind to try some things out. I thought I'd see if anyone wants to share some of their secrets and tricks. I'd love to see screenshots, but more than that I really want to see what you guys are using (which mods, if its a downloaded UI which one, etc.). Since I've really only used the out-of-the-box WoW toolbars I'm a complete noob when it comes to this.

Currently I use the following mods, some affect UI, some don't:
    Benecast (Turn off party features in a raid)
    Scrolling Combat Text
    Gatherer
    CT_RaidAssist and Decursive (duh)
    CT_MailMod
    ItemRack
    AggroAlert
    (probably some others I'm forgetting)

I'm in the process of picking up a couple more mods. Gaviin won't stop bothering me until I get KLHThreatmeter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
    Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
    ...and other distractions of various levels.

Re: UI/Mods

I used CosmosUI for a while until I realized that it was just way more than I needed or wanted, so I decided to go the individual addon route. Now I just go to curse-gaming every so often and make sure that I update my relatively small list of addons to the latest versions. It's been working really well so far.

I see screenshots of UIs like Ark's, and while they do look cool and somewhat appealing, I just can't help but think that, in the end, it would be a big pain to install and configure all that. And if you ever have to delete and reinstall your addons (which I have had to do in the past), the more complex things are, the bigger the hassle. I sort of subscribe to the doctrine of "keep it simple".

Anyway, here's my list of addons, all of which are available at curse-gaming:

Atlas - instance maps
    AutoRez - automatically accepts rez's from other players
    CharactersViewer - allows you to view the bags/bank of all your alts
    CT_MailMod - gives mail options like mass mailings, open all mail, etc.
    CT_RABossMods - obviously
    CT_RaidAssist - obviously
    EquipCompare - when you mouse over an equippable item, it shows you the item that you currently have equipped in that slot
    KLHThreatMeter - shows your threat level and the threat levels of anyone else who has this addon installed, thus YOU SHOULD ALL INSTALL IT :row__642: (especially YOU, Pistos)
    LootLink - keeps a database of all items that you pick up; I mainly use it because it will show you the vendor price of items
    MetaMap - replaces the default map with one that can be scaled and moved around; also has other options such as allowing you to add little notes to the map which show up as dots
    MobInfo2 - keeps a database of mobs that you fight; also shows hit points, hp percentages, and mana
    myClock - replaces the sun/moon with a digital clock (I always hated having to mouse over that sun/moon to see the time); also allows you to offset the server time to your local time or whatever you want
    Outfitter - allows you to set up outfits of gear (FR, NR, etc.) and quickly switch between them
    SW_Stats - damage meter
    UberQuest - replaces the default quest log with a window that shows you a lot more of your quest list at one time; if you decide to try this, you have to download it from the comments list toward the bottom of the page at curse-gaming... the latest version is in a comment titled "Update for 1.11"

So there you have it. Those are all of my mods. I too feel a bit noobish when it comes to addons since I choose the simpler and less intense route, but I am quite satisfied with the functionality that I have.
    Ninja

Comment

Two mods that I recently added that I can't live without.

AtlasLoot and Carnival. AtlasLoot basically gives yo a listing of all the goodies that the bosses drop in each instance. Carnival is now called "EnemyNaturCast" and is the best time I've found for Boss's. It doesn't suffer from the delay's associated with CT and I've found it to work almost flawlessly.
      “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

My UI is composed of the following:

- Titan Panel and other Titan accessories (whatever they are, they all came together)
        - Discord Action Bars (/dab)
        - Discord Unit Frames (/duf)
        - Discord Art (/dart)
        - CTRaidAssist
        - Bagnon (/bgn)
        - Moog Hud (/moog)
        - eCastingBar (/ecb)
        - Confab (though currently disabled)
        - HitsMode
        - Decursive
        - Scrolling Combat Text
        - Satrina Buffs
        And some more...

I can update in components, so I don't need to worry about reconfiguring. I have my settings saved to each of my characters, so I can always reload the positioning.

Yes, my UI was a MEGA PITA to set up, but I like it overall. It puts all the information I need front and center.

Comment

SCT seems to be planned for integration into the WoW Vanilla interface (check out the patch notes). Wonder what they'll emulate out of the 'must have mods' next...

Oh yeah, I'm old school. My mods are (grudgingly)

Must have:
          GroupCalander (niffty planner and notice mod)
          Atlas w/ enhanced loot
          CT with CTRA
          Titan Bar (its so purty)
          ScrollingCombatText

Fluff:
          SimpleTranq (must have for hunters)
          SWStats (hate having to ask for damage meters)
          Guildprofiler (for the roster of course)

You can do a whole lot with WoW Vanilla actually. I actually use the standard raid interface options with WoW over the fancy colored CTRa lists for monitoring because its so much smaller and cleaner.
          My sanity is not in question...
          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I goof around with the UI way too much. I'm constantly cycling through mods. Here are the ones I find particularly useful:
            1. Auctioneer: helps me make about 100 gold per week on the AH
            2. AtlasLoot: too cool.
            3. AutoProfit: dumps all the gray items at a vendor
            4. Carnival Enemy Cast Bar: Beep already described
            5. ClickHeal: a healer mod
            6. DamageMeters: arguably the KLHThreatMeter is better for raids.
            7. Decursive: most have for healers IMO.
            8. DiscordArt: Just to spruce things up, if you like.
            9. EquipCompare: most have.
            10. FinderReminder: just reminds you to turn it back on after you wipe.
            11. FishingBuddy: self explanatory.
            12. FlexBar: I use this instead of any of the various other Action Bar mods.
            13. Fubar (currently instead of Titan)
            14. Incognito: Puts my Main name alongside my alts name in guild chat.
            15. ItemRack: establish and switch between equipment sets
            16. LazyRogue and LazyWarrior: one button solutions
            17. LFG_B_Gone
            18. LoadIT: an addon manager
            19. LootLink: db of loot items
            20. LuaSlinger: for scripting on your own
            21. MailTo: drop down box for mail to
            22. MetaMap
            23. MikScrollingBattleText (instead of SCT)
            24. MiniGroup2: alternate unit frames
            25. MobileFrames: makes frames moveable
            26. MobInfo2: tooltip addon for loads of additional info
            27. MonkeyQuest
            28. MoveAnything
            29. MyBags
            30. NeedyList: another healer mod
            31. Panze (Paladin Assistant)
            32. PartyQuests
            33. QuickDisband: allows /d to remove yourself from a party
            34. SatrinaBuffFrame
            35. SmartMedic: some very cool macros for pots, food, and bandages
            36. solColorChatNicks: cleans up the chat a little
            37. SpecialTalent: talent planner...allows all three tabs to be visable at once.
            38. StupidMount2
            39. tellCatcher: just a list of the whisperers
            40. TotalGold: how much gold on each of your alts and how much total
            41. TrinketMenu
            42. WhoNeedsThis: list if one of your alts can use a particular trade item in the tooltip

Comment

Ok, I run about 40 mods, but I will go over the major ones.

CT - I run them all, I like their bars and all the functionality. Its not as clean as Ark's but it works well.
              Group Buttons - A great mod for healers. Allows you to put a mini bar next to each person in your group as well as your target, that when you click on a spell on that bar it allows you to cast it on that person without targetting them.
              Clickheal - Great for use with CTRA because it turns the Emergency Monitor into a single click healing as well as the CTRA groups. I don't use it for most other things, but for the EM functionality itself its worth it.
              Smartheal - I just got this recently on the recommendation of Beep and am still trying to get used to it. Seems nice.
              Titan and other Titan Mods - great for tracking info
              Auctioneer/Enchantrix - Great mods. Allow you to scan the Auction House and track prices on any items you loot. Enchantrix gives you percentages on what things will DE into. Always helpful, and great for when someone wonders what something should sell for.
              MonkeyQuest - Just got used to it and have kept it ever since.
              Autobar - Great mod for use with Pots/drink/expendables. On pots it adjusts based on your health/mana so you only use a pot that will get you to full, not your biggest. Very helpful.
              Auto-Innerfire - Automatically casts Inner Fire on a priest by tying the spell to a movement key.

List of a few others:
              Scrolling Combat Text, Decursive, Lootlink, Atlasloot, SWStats, Bagnon

Here is a pic of my UI from about 4 months ago, but it still looks pretty much the same.

http://mischiefguild.com/eq_image/sajbuttons.jpg
              Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Woo Hoo everyone! Thanks for the info. I'd like to see some more screenshots if you guys don't mind. Seeing Sajier's layout gave me a few ideas. But I'd realllllly like to see some screenshots during "action" in a raid.

I'm going to dl TitanBar and TitanPanel today I guess and mess around with it. Plus probably 20 more - hehe. ;)
                Gigan - Shaman (Resto)

Comment

I will take a couple screenshots tonight if I get in the raid to give you an idea of what mine looks like at its height of clutteredness.

| | |

Comment

Originally posted by Pistos
                    Woo Hoo everyone! Thanks for the info. I'd like to see some more screenshots if you guys don't mind. Seeing Sajier's layout gave me a few ideas. But I'd realllllly like to see some screenshots during "action" in a raid.

I'm going to dl TitanBar and TitanPanel today I guess and mess around with it. Plus probably 20 more - hehe. ;)
                    Pistos,

I'd be happy to take some screenshots for you during the Raid. I'm a bit of a minimalist and while I have a lot of mods I work with, I try my best to not have them cluttering up my screen. :P

Now you'll just need to teach me how to link the SS's here!
                    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

I know when I'm in MC that most of my attention is on the emergency monitor and/or the tanks health bars. Most of my screen is littered with bars, tank windows, various monitors, and group windows. I look forward to seeing how some other people's screens look.
                      Gigan - Shaman (Resto)

Comment

If you notice, I have a secondary action bar under my raid window. As most of my healing is raid spot-healing, I am able to quickly access the heal I most desire. I have my highest rank Flash of Light and Holy Light hotkeyed, but when I'm MT healing I usually walk around my buttons casting the heal I desire most. I use rank 3 and 4 FOL mostly when tank healing alongside a priest. Most tanks don't take 700+ damage in 1.5 seconds anyhow, so no need for me to blow many on highest rank spells.

Comment

Just tried emergency monitor today during the Rajaxx raid and I personally don't like it. The color scheme was odd and I couldn't figure out what it wanted other than posting critically wounded at the top.

I have a simple set up for healing. I disable the party view and line up the CTRA group windows 1,3,5,7 on top and 2,4,6,8 on bottom. This serves two purposes. 1) In 20 man raids its not as wide. 2) On Ony runs and time when we split up I can assess who is where.

On the other side of the screen I have the MT list next to the far right action buttons. Then lined up right to left and top to bottom from 'most critical' to 'least critical' I have the class pull outs from WoW vanilla's raid interface.

Soooo...for that side if you think of it as 3 groups it looks like:

Paladin bars | Warrior Bars | CTRA Main tank targets
                          Druid bars | Priest Bars | CTRA Main tank targets
                          Mage bars | Rogue Bars | Hunter Bars
                          Warlock bars

When watching the raid I let my eyes scan the bars from top right to bottom left in a diagonal motion. That means most of my attention (and least missed) goes to warriors, then paladins/druids/priests, and lastly mages/warlocks/rogues. Hunters are on the odd side of my scan and I don't really pay attention to them because they can typically FD and bandage.

Since the health bars are so noticable and you can tell what class is in critical need of care you can spot heal and focus heal with ease depending on how fast you observe their life go down.
                          My sanity is not in question...
                          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I got some screenshots last night...then forgot to upload them this morning :(. I will do it when I get home tonight and post them. Sorry Pistos :(.

| | |

Comment

Tarenth,

Interesting. In raids I disable the party window and the 4 (or 8) groups are on the left 1-4 in one row and 5-8 below in row two. The emergency monitor is on the bottom right with MT windows next to it. Depending on the fight I'll pull out other class lists from the WoW interface and put them next to MTs. For instance, during the times I've been in the Razorgore fight we had the warriors kiting the dragonkin and legionaires around so I would have the warrior list up. Alot of times I'll keep the mages and warlocks up during trash mob fights. If I see one draw the ire of a beastie then I can quickly through a bubble on them. For actual healing during trash mobs I'll go off the emergency monitor. I haven't tried the ClickHeal mod yet, currently I just left-click on the emergency monitor bar for the person I want to heal and hit the key for the healing spell I want to use. If I were to go in a pickup raid where I didn't know the names/classes of people I might have to do it different, but since I know that Ricca's a rogue then a flash heal is going to fill the bar up. And I know that Kitty is a warrior and could use a bigger heal.

Saj,

No problem man. I appreciate you taking the time. I got stuck at work and wasn't able to log on til well after you guys had started in AQ and ZG. So instead of standing around IF or messing around with an alt I completely ganked my UI. Unfortunately I was dead tired and still not finished, so I have some work to do to clean up the mess I made so its usable before I can do anything. But I did get TitanPanel and some of the Discord stuff setup - just have to finish it now.
                              Gigan - Shaman (Resto)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X