Ragnaros -- Hunter's question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ragnaros -- Hunter's question

During the Ragnaros fight tonight, I was wondering if it would benefit the raid more if the hunters were in DPS gear instead of FR gear. Here's the reasoning behind it, as ranged group we hardly get knockedback or knocked into the lava. And since we need to do as much damage on Rag as we can in a short period of time I think it would be better served if we were in DPS gear.

Any thoughts?
    "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Re: Ragnaros -- Hunter's question

That's kind of an odd statement. As ranged damage you actually get knocked around MORE than melee damage because melee can step back and avoid the timed kick. Ragnaros uses a secondary target system for the ranged melee kicks. Basically if you're not the main tank you have an equal chance of getting a fireball thrown at you and kicked all over the place. I'm not sure if there's a second requirement to be out of melee, but its quite possible that there is.

Its kinda like the Buru fight actually. You have to use your judgement and trust to luck that you made the right balance of damage and resists for the fight. You can go full FR and not get hit by a random knock around by pure luck and have wasted your DPS or you can go full DPS and get kicked into the lava in the first 10 seconds of the fight and die because you didn't have enough FR.

Remember, 'death' puts more of a hamper on your DPS than any combination of gear.
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

It's my understanding that the AOE knockback is binary...you resist it or you don't...AND that the resist is determined by your FR stats. That would be a good reason to keep your FR maxxed.
      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Muirc,

It's usually best to have as much FR as possible but there are limits. Due to the game mechanics you're much better applying FR in bundles of 100. That means that you should try to be at 100, 200 or 300. If you're at 165 the return on FR doesn't justify the stats you give up. It's also possible for you to be at 300 and be completely gimped. It's best to find a combination of stats and FR that allow you to survive the fight and yet do as much dps as possible.

Keep in mind, Rag's randomly targets someone and WTFPWN's them and no amount of FR will help.
        “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

One of the reasons I don't call for melee to step back is because I *want* melee to absorb the knockback so the hunters/mages/locks can go WTFPEWPEW as much as possible. Also I can't often free up pallies to be with hunters, but I know our melee FR is not where it needs to be so I give pallies to the melee classes.

Comment

I understand and have considered all points listed above but I still believe that with the fire pots and watching your aggro you can survive the fire damage dealt. I guess, if you guys are open to it, we can have one hunter go full DPS gear and see if this works. Just a suggestion but if the call is for everyone to be in FR then I will go along with that.
            "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Comment

Um....huh.

Fire pots work independantly of your FR, however the more FR you have the better your fire pots work. In all honestly fire pots are a crutch and should be given to people with high Fire Resist over people with low fire resist because they will last so much longer. The way the pots work is you take fire damage, a check is made if you resisted or not, and then resultant damage is then subtracted from the pot's affect much like a power word:shield spell. If your FR makes you resist 50% of the damage you take then the pot will last twice as long. Also...as much as I like bumming pots off Ricca and Haletma I would be adamently against anything that increased the consumption of their efforts.

Aggro has nothing to do with Rags. Unless you're shooting from melee (at which point you're a hacker) then its impossible to pull aggro off the tank simply because he never moves from his spot.

Ark, the melee knockback and the ranged knockback are two different affects. Melee get that wave pulse that kicks them away and can be resisted. Ranged get a fire ball ("By fire be purged!") that does little damage to the target but chucks everyone within 20 yards all over the place. Of course, Murphy's law states that if you're no where near the lava you will land in the lava.
              My sanity is not in question...
              It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

yeah, tarenth is correct. They are 2 different spells and independent of each other...

And FR does determine your resistance to the ranged knockback spell

EDIT: I know this because I forgot to place my FR gear on and got WTFPWNED and got launched in the air multiple times before I could FD...once I FD'd, I quickly switched gear and things were stable again...I have 199 FR unbuffed I think

Comment

My mage has 218 FR unbuffed. On Saturday, when we downed Rags, he was thrown in the air only once (I did land in the lava but somehow took no damage from the lava; jump jump). So I must agree with what was said...the more FR gear, the better chance you have at resisting the AoE.

On a side note, if you do get knocked in the lava...keep spamming jump. I really think it works.

Comment

Everyone that stays ranged should be able to avoid ever getting knocked back in this fight, except for when we collapse for the Sons, there will always be an unlucky knockback there. There is plenty of room in Rag's room for everyone to spread out and not be close enough to knock each other around. Fire Resist helps on the lava splash damage, and when the Sons are out, it helps mana users not lose as much mana if they get near the Son's aura.

I've gone through many Rag fights as main healer, melee healer, and range healer without ever getting knocked around. Its all about staying away from everyone else.

Comment

Seeing as how we've killed Rag twice, any big change to our strat probably won't happen, but check out http://pacifistguild.org/library/ragnaros/ its a great resource for how we can spread out the raid to avoid the knockbacks.

Comment

After searching that site you just listed:

http://pacifistguild.org/library/rag...equipment.html

This is a very good list of FR gear for each class via a recommendation oif people in their guild. I suggest all look at it and see what you might work on to get better FR gear, or gear in general. I found 2 things I'm going to work on myself...and I have 199 FR Unbuffed....so this list is pretty helpful.

Comment

I was wearing my FR at about 156 or so unbuffed and both tries I got knocked into the lava and was unable to get out b4 dying so it did me no good as far as the lava went. But that doesn't mean it didn't help for other things. It is also entirely possible that If I had better frame rates I maight have gotten out ok.

Also first try I was standing under the ledge and I don't know if it was a bounce off the ledge or whatever but I ended up fly through teh sir directly towards Rag and hit the lave right in front of him. Second time I must have been turned slightly because I just barely missed the ledge that was at my back and was hurled into the lava on the outer ring.

But for either way it went I was pretty much out of the fight anyhow once I hit the lava so it may not make much diff for me to wear it or not.
                          "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Q,

For Rag...I try to make sure that I have my back at the wall or pretty close to it. I also got knocked into the lava in front of Rag but was able to just jump back towards my original position. It takes a little practice but you can make it out of the lava in front of Rag but as far as the outer ring....I've gotten knocked back there before and it is very hard to jump out from there so try to position yourself with your back to the wall so you don't get knocked back that way.

Comment

Yes, the knockbacks are two different things. However the ranged knockback is totally random and generally uncontrollable. Fire pots help, but are not necessary.

By keeping melee in we actually push damage off the main tank. While beep has a high probability of resisting the melee knockback, he does occasionally eat it. By keeping melee in we push damage to someone not as essential as the MT.

If melee moves out, that increases the chance that they get a range knockback at the same time. It's rare, but we saw it happen on our first takedown during fallback. I guess I unintentionally reversed what I intended to say in my first post.

In any case, the damage from that ranged knockback tends to be more from fallin than anything. In my experience, my fire pots have only absorbed the damage from the lava when I swam back to position. I'm actually going to start carrying more health pots than fire pots, since with only moderate fire resist I'm taking WAY more damage from falling than anything else (I got down to 14 health last weekend!!)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X