Hunters 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunters 101

Here's a great link for existing & up and coming hunters...

http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/html/guides.html

Also, petopia is a great guide for what pets you can train at your level.

Happy Hunting!
    "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Re: Hunters 101

www.tkasomething.com is even better
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Here's a guide:
      1. Mark target
      2. Send in pet
      3. Start shooting
      4. Feign death as necessary
      5. Roll "NEED" on everything

Repeat as necessary till you reach level 60. :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
      “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

Nice Bear

And when you feign try to be as far from the tank and as close to the healer as possible ;)
        Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
        Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
        ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistos
          Nice Bear

And when you feign try to be as far from the tank and as close to the healer as possible ;)
          Close to the healer??? We stand BEHIND the healers hoping they will gain aggro before the MOB get's to us!

Comment

LOL - Shiro's always trying to hide behind me! I spend half of most battles kiting the hunter not the mob.
            Gigan - Shaman (Resto)

Comment

Originally posted by Chair
              tkasomething is even better
              I would have to disagree Chair. tkasomething doesn't list how they are in armor, what their hp or dps is like, and even some of their skills are missing. Such as the winged serpents, they don't list the lightening breath that some of them have (might be all have, not sure).

Comment

I have a lvl 30 hunter, and I have to ask this. For those of you with multiple pets, how the heck do you do it? I would never have any of them at any decent level if I was always trying to level them up with me.

Are you going for additional pets in your 50's? That's the only way I can think of being successful at it.

Comment

Yes, sxy........I stayed with one pet all the way to 60......my good old trusty "Rake".....after that I picked up a few pets in the mid to late 50s.

And I don't stand behind the priest, I stand in front....catch aggro.....priest heal....I feign and pass the aggro to them :p LOL
                  "Remember that all things are only opinions and that it is in your power to think as you please."

Comment

The best thing to do is to keep backing up and shooting it til it gets right on top of the healer and just inside your dead zone, then FD.
                    Gigan - Shaman (Resto)

Comment

wow There is a lot to read on that site, Muirc.
                      Thanks for the link. (You too, Chair)

Comment

At the risk of adding something relevant I should point out that, contrary to popular belief, the best tanking pet is not the bear or turtle, but the owl.

Bears have moderately high hp, but not enough to make it a better tank. Bears do have the advantage of being able to eat mage bread which helps reduce food costs slightly.

Turtles...suck. They do moderate damage and their high armor may help them live longer, but they hold aggro just like any other pet. Here's a fun tip, if you have to tone down your damage to let your pet tank so they can tank longer to make use of the armor and hp then you're in a bad fix.

Owls have one of the best aggro producing and tanking abilities in their screech. Like a warrior's demo shout but on roids. It produces slightly less aggro than a growl, decreases the damage done to your pet, affects everything in an area, AND can be used with growl for extra aggro.

And yeah, the only reason I favor owls over carrion birds (who also learn screech) is because owls can also bite. A nice efficient damage ability if you don't want to burn away all your focus.
                        My sanity is not in question...
                        It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

As far as DPS pets go, from my research I've found that the Bloodaxe Worg from LBRS seems to be the best choice. Not only is it currently the ONLY source in the game for Bite Rank 8, they also get high-level Dash and have decent armor. Better for upping the damage on an already-tanked mob...

Though I may make my third pet an owl, i forgot about all those perks Tarenth!

I'm also interested in taming a Bloodbat or Son of Hakkar from ZG...

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, you cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images, where the sun beats, and the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, and the dry stone no sound of water." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

Wolves are great raid/group pets, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them DPS pets. The only reason, I believe, for having a wolf is for the howl to give you a boost in damage. VERY nice combination with TSA for some damage dealing love. Otherwise they place about average on every other scale possible. Decent armor, but not the best. Decent hp, but not the best. Decent damage, but not the best. Definately a bad choice for someone leveling because if your pet is tanking its hard to get close enough to get the howl buff. Also, even if it does cause residual aggro to other targets, the focus cost makes it a bad choice for tanking with growl also running.

Cats have decent DPS and if you mix claw with Beastial Wrath (BM talent) you have a combination that may burn focus faster than a pyromanic in a tinder field, but will throw out insane damage. Their special ability, prowl, sucks though. Its like a rogue opening move...except pathetic. They make nice scouts and ninja pullers with the added stealth and great flag guards in AB and AV because of they can't be seen.

Scorpions oddly enough have one of the best damage sustaining abilities if your target isn't immune to poison and you want to duke it out a little. Eventually you can get a good 160 damage every 2 seconds DoT going on the target and can just sit back and let the poison WTFPWN something if you really wanted. However there is a fatal flaw with the poison that I found made it impractical for longer fights. First off, its poison and thus in end game becomes impractical with so many immunities on certain types of mobs. Secondly the focus cost will eventually out pace the focus regen and your pet may find itself without enough focus to reapply the poison and bye bye DoT. Scorpions do moderately high natural damage, have moderately good armor, but crap for hp like every other damage dealing pet.

Spiders have no special abilities as of yet so while they do high natural DPS like the other DPS pets, they don't get any consideration...yet.

Wind Serpents have a nice gimic in that they are the only pets with a ranged attack. But with a 50 focus cost to their ability they may get off one or two shots before they become useless.

Gorillas are just plain silly. The 123-142 damage to all targets in the area is definately a nice way to suck up aggro from a group and do decent damage, but the 60 second cooldown is a joke.

For a short fight DPS you want a cat using claw and bite. It'll toss out a nice amount of damage and will get some help from prowl.

For a moderate fight DPS you want a scorpid hands down. They have the best sustained damage ability for the cheapest focus and can keep it up for a nice duration.

For a long fight you have to throw out all special abilities and go for endurance. A cat with just bite will out pace a scorpid eventually due to the difficulty of getting a full stack of poisons on a target after you hit the end of focus. While both have high natural damage, the cat's ability to use bite constantly and for a lot longer makes it have better prolonged damage dealing abilities. I suppose you could use a spider for the same reasons, but they're just not as pretty or have as many perks as cats.
                            My sanity is not in question...
                            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I have a level 8 hunter. Would an owl or a cat be best for a mixture of solo and small party leveling?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X