A note on tanking style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note on tanking style

I just wanted to put up a quick post so there wouldn't be any confusion in the event that this ever comes up in MC.

I consider myself to be a pretty decent tank, I'm not great but I know my class and I know how to play it fairly well. I'm also exceptionally lazy and loathe running to the back of the group. I will do everything in my power to keep my designated mob hammering on me and off of you BUT:

If you're someone that feels necessary to pump out as much dps as possible then you do so at your own risk. In my opinion as a tank, Damage Meters is the worst mod ever invented. It creates a scenario where everyone competes and the winner gets......well you get nothing usually other than unwanted aggro. Killing core hounds, firelords, giants etc. does not require anyone to go balls to the wall on dps. I promise you the time to kill delta will not be noticable.

Last night there were numerous instances where mobs were engaged before Beep or I had attained solid aggro. So please, please, please for my sanity and your good health, let us get a sunder or two in before you go bonkers and start chasing huge crits! I promise you, your repair bills will thank you!

This message has been brought to you by the Shield Carrying Knuckle Draggers Society.
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Re: A note on tanking style

Yeah! What he said!:madsmile:
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Amen!

And if you get aggro due to said tank being stunned or knocked back or whatever... for the love of all that is holy run to the tank :D
      Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
      Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
      ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Yep. If you pull aggro, gratz! You're the tank! Tanks will be under new orders to NOT chase after mobs that get away in MC unless it's an issue like a stun, knockback, or noobadin casting BoP.

If you pull aggro, I hope you're prepared to die.

But this is avoidable if everyone just stays within 3 steps of taunt range. I mean, honestly, with like two exceptions, we don't need to be any further than 15 yards for anything in MC. Keep moving up!

Comment

There is a simple solution for this.. who ever is tanking should have a macro that says, "Attack my target now " the tank spams this when he feels he has the aproprate amount of aggo.. no one attacks before then... the key is to get aggro, not gimp the Dps.. you want the mob to go down fast.

Comment

Beep used to use that i havent seen it in a while so not sure if he still uses it or there not giving him time to use it...lol
            Candrice 63 Warrior
            Ricca 70 Rogue
            Machelle 70 Mage
            Enya 74 Druid

Comment

I'll contribute something from the tank's perspective about generating aggro on MC mobs. The most "troublesome" mobs in this regard are Molten Destroyers because of their knockdown melee AOE...apparently their main attack. When you are on your kiester after a knockdown, no taunt or sunder armor is possible until you recover, get up and can initiate a new action...takes 3-4 seconds...then you get one attack in (assuming it doesn't miss)...then "boom"...back on your rear for another 3-4 seconds. That means we are approaching 10 seconds into the fight with 1 sunder in place, and taunt has expired...a tricky spot if you open up big DPS. My experience is that this is the "slowest" of mobs on which to firmly establish aggro that can allow for big group DPS. We really don't have to be in a hurry here so take MORE time for Destroyers and you'll be happier. Our healers can easily manage the extra time.

The other troublesome mobs are the "Flame Packs" of three or four on the way to Sulfuron. While they don't need the 10+ seconds of restraint that a Destroyer does, 3-4 seconds would be good. If they get past the tank's taunt (because of lag, resisting it, or bad timing (ZOMG a NOOB tank mistake!)) and a Flameguard or Flame Walker gets into the main group, you need to move away without attacking until the tank can "fetch" the mobs aggro away from the group and face them away from you. If you have started DPS and then run because you have aggro, you will likely die.

I know we all like moving faster through MC, but there is a "friendly" pace that is both speedy and avoids unnecessary deaths on trash mobs.
              Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I know that certain players would naysay this suggestion, but steadfastly I implore:

Download KLH Threat Meter!

Sure, it's not foolproof...sure it's considered "unnecessary" by some... but I have not pulled aggro since I got it. If you are a DPS class, in my honest, soon-to-be-negated opinion, you need to have this mod running.

FLAME ON!

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, you cannot say, or guess, for you know only a heap of broken images, where the sun beats, and the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, and the dry stone no sound of water." --T.S. Eliot

Comment

The lava packs are always obnoxious because they will randomly Fire Blossom someone and sometimes get some sticky aggro while doing it, it seems. And the destroyers do the knockdown, which if you do damage before the tank has aggro, gratz! You've got aggro!

We don't need to sit and wait for 5 sunders on trash. We just need to not open up with heavy damage. Learn the mobs. Open with debuffs or wands, don't open with aimshots and nukes. Give it six seconds before you nuke. That's enough time.

We don't save time by nuking the everloving crap out of things. We save time by consistently moving forward, not moving, repositioning, waiting at the flare, etc.

Just keep moving forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Amrod
                    I know that certain players would naysay this suggestion, but steadfastly I implore:

Download KLH Threat Meter!

Sure, it's not foolproof...sure it's considered "unnecessary" by some... but I have not pulled aggro since I got it. If you are a DPS class, in my honest, soon-to-be-negated opinion, you need to have this mod running.

FLAME ON!
                    I strongly suggest that ALL WARRIORS have this addon installed...really all classes should since if you don't have it, you won't show up on the list. You can find it here...http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/wow/a...reatmeter.html
                    Beep

Comment

Here's another footnote on Onyxia Phase 3 tanking...for the benefit of all!!!

Taunt doesn't work in Phase 3!!!

This means that it takes longer...a few seconds (15 min...maybe up to 30+)...for the MT to sunder, sunder, sunder, etc. to start the aggro/threat ramp up...with NO ONE ELSE attacking. This allows the MT to get firmly on top of her aggro list so that even if feared, she comes right back to the MT as soon as the fear fades in a few seconds.

This aggro focus means her position is more stable and her attacks are focused on the MT. And this means fewer deaths in the peanut gallery and a much happier outcome for all.
                      Last edited by beep; 08-14-2006, 09:42 AM.
                      Beep

Comment

We cant forget about arkamis' uber dps...he always seems to steal the agro from the tank also =P

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X